Thread: 3 man tent

Default 3 man tent

Looking for suggestions for a good 3 man tent under 400 bucks. Was looking at the Cabela's XPG™ Expedition 4-Season Tent. I had a great deal on a northface VE25, but it feel though. I have an 6 man alaska guide model tent I bought back in 2000 and its still if good shape. Had a nice REI two man but my son aired it out without securing the tent. Looking for a tent that is 10 pounds or under, sturdy, and four season for hunting out of my plane.

Thanks Terry

That's quite a coincidence. I just ordered a 4 man XPG. There are dozens of reviews on their web site and I think it got a 4.8 out of 5 review rating. It is however 13 lbs. It was an impulse buy. I was ordering a pair of Mendle Alaska Hunters because they are on sale for $209 with free shipping until 11/10.

A little over your price limit, but I really like my Hilleberg Nallo 3GT. I also really like my old Walrus tent (which is now MSR for the most part). MSR makes lightweight tents that are high quality. I would check those out.

If you can find a Hilleberg on ebay or craigslist for a good price, I would jump at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Looking for suggestions for a good 3 man tent under 400 bucks. Looking for a tent that is 10 pounds or under, sturdy, and four season for hunting out of my plane.

Thanks Terry
    Terry,
    I bought a Mountain Hardware - Trango 3.1 a year ago off ebay. The tent retails for over $500, but I got it for $365 (including shipping). It weighs in at about 11.5 lbs. It is a great tent and excellent quality. Be patient...there is a good deal just around the corner once you decide.

will second the trango 2 and 3 (and now there is a 4). they are very roomy, so the two person hold a good amount of gear and 2 people. they are great for 4 season camping and in high winds (have been on Everest). they are heavy though, so out of a plane/truck/atv/boat, they are great. if you plan on doing any backpacking with it, i would look at lighter alternatives. but also, if you aren't going to be putting it in a pack, i would spend the extra couple of pounds and get a 4 person tent and be very comfortable. the weight difference for flying shouldn't be that great b/w the two.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I have the mountain hardware three man four season tent. i will give it thumbs ups for the second year in a row.. i picked it up at beaver sports here in aK... set up is rather easy once you remember where the 5 poles go. it has a nice vestibule built in for gear and weather. and heats easily enough with a small buddy heater. we have been in -20 with it and up to 50mph winds above tree line.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I have a Eureka K2 XT that I bought off of EBay on a "best offer" deal and got it for $300. They are running at $399 right now, I beleive.

This tent is an awesome 4 season dome tent. The venting and the vestibule are perfect for hunting in Alaska. We used ours on Kodiak this year without a lick of trouble.

This is the first 4 season tent I have owned that had enough ventilation to keep it from becoming a sauna on warm days and keep the tent warm inside on cold nights. All without any of that annoying moisture buildup inside.

The vestibule is big enough for two large frame packs and still have room to crawl through them to get in and out. It's also plenty big to cook in.

The tent comes with a bunch of tie downs and when they all are used the tent hardly wiggles in 40mph winds.

All in all it's a perfect heavy duty airplane or boat tent.

Take a look at the Exped Andromeda. It's a solid 4-season tent with a 35 square foot sleeping area (65" x 83"), a 30 square foot vestibule, weighs approx. 7 1/2 lbs, and can be had for less than $400 (try backcountry.com where it's currently on sale). It's a great tent, but may be a bit cozy for three.

Another shelter to look at would be the Golite Shangri-la series. I have a Golite Hex 3 (older version of the Shangri-la 3) and love it. It does not come with a floor, but both a bathtub floor and a "nest" (bathtub floor and mosquito netting top) are available. I use the tarp + nest for sheep hunts and my buddy and I have tons of room.

Good luck!

Chris

Default Serra Designs Alpha Convertible Tent

I found this 3-4 season tent for 249 brand new, thinks it an 07 model. Have not heard anything negative, anyone have any experience with them?

Terry

I am shocked that no one has mentioned the Eldorado Bibler.
    http://www.trailspace.com/gear/bibler/eldorado/
    This was my first choice in a tent this year, but my husband convinced me that the North Face Tadpole was a better choice for us for now.
    I have other tents that I am still looking into including:
    http://www.bigagnes.com/str_tent_home.php
    Check out the Copper Spur.

Also, in Fairbanks there is a place where you can go and check out some REAL good tents firsthand. It's located on College Rd across from the recruiting office and Test the Waters.
    Lurker.

I am shocked that no one has mentioned the Eldorado Bibler.
    That's because it's a two man tent, not a 3 man and the Copper Spur is a 3 season, not a 4.

He's looking for an airplane tent and that gives lots of options. The ultralight tents are great for sheep hunting off your back, but if you can afford a couple more pounds there are tents out there that have more room in them, are more long term durable, and have larger vestibules. There are trade offs in everything. I sure love hunting out of a larger airplane. The ability to bring decent sized heavy duty tents is my biggest reason I can't imagine hunting out of a tent like a Bibler or a Seedhouse on a Kodiak fly-in. Just as I cannot imagine carrying all 11lbs 6 oz of my K2 XT on a sheep hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    That's because it's a two man tent, not a 3 man and the Copper Spur is a 3 season, not a 4.

AKDoug,
    I searched them both initially before I posted. Honest to goodness because I have been called out on so much on this particular forum.
    You are right on the Copper Spur.
    http://www.rei.com/product/764119
    http://www.rei.com/product/764121
    and it looks as if you are right on the Bibler
    http://www.rei.com/product/670745

I looked at other reviews and read other opinions on these tents, but they are opinions and not the specifications.
    So.. I stand corrected yet again.

...but you didn't say anything about that mountaineering store on College Road.??

Mountain Sports
    29 College Rd
    Fairbanks, AK 99701
    (907) 474-4600

The owner would be far more helpful that I would be. (smiles)
    Lurker.

Mountain Sports is cool. I love the place. However, I still get strange looks in there being a grossly overweight non-athletic type.

Mountain Sports is cool. I love the place. However, I still get strange looks in there being a grossly overweight non-athletic type.
    Oh my goodness, that's exactly how I felt! How did you know? We must be on the same page of the book or maybe we walked in on the same day.
    The owner had a pretty indepth conversation with me about snowshoeing in cold weather and assumed that I just went in to browse. Little did he know that I was really there to 'invest' but I never like to purchase on a whim. I knew what I wanted and instead he talked to me about Optimus stoves instead of the Atlas snowshoes I had my eye on. Although I won't share my first experience in the store, I will say that he was very cordial and overall, my 'browsing' experience was lovely, minus the fact that I, too, received those same looks you experienced for being the grossly overweight non-athletic type. (I am being serious).

About tents, though... the guy has it down pat. He suggests some kind of tent that is made from Canada. Strudy. Dependable according to him. He gave me a full booklet on the one he suggested. I guess UAF teams purchase all their tents from him. He's pretty proud of that and rightfully so. I posted about it a year ago before we purchased our sheep hunting tent. I supposed I can go back and try to find that thread.
    Lurker.

I was at the Museum a couple weeks ago and watched their movie on the UAF researchers and their dinosaur dig in the permafrost. The tents in the movie were all Arctic Ovens I wonder if he's the Fairbanks connection for those. I love coming up to Fairbanks in the winter for some odd reason. Makes me feel more Alaskan.

The wonderful thing about tents is that there are so many that are really good. Unlike some other products where there is only a handful of good choices, tents seem to have dozens of good choices.

I was at the Museum a couple weeks ago and watched their movie on the UAF researchers and their dinosaur dig in the permafrost. The tents in the movie were all Arctic Ovens I wonder if he's the Fairbanks connection for those. I love coming up to Fairbanks in the winter for some odd reason. Makes me feel more Alaskan.

The wonderful thing about tents is that there are so many that are really good. Unlike some other products where there is only a handful of good choices, tents seem to have dozens of good choices.
    I wonder if they are the same, too. I'd make the phone call since they don't have their own website, but I am just too busy right now to do that.
    Lurker.

Default Tent

Ended up buying the Eureka K2-XT 3 man tent for $302 on Saturday at Sportsmans Wharehouse. It's a little heavy but for the airplane its perfect size for 2 guys and gear.

Terry

Great, size, weight, durability and price. Get a floor pan and make it a 4 season tent, sleeps 4 comfortable and 3 with gear plus stand up height. Got mine online for $190. Multiple options for set up and adding more stakes for greater wind/weather stability. Is it the best, almost, but for the money it is hard to beat.

Sierra Designs Origami 4 UL Specifications Trail Weight 4 lbs 3 oz Packed Weight 4 lbs 12 oz Interior Area 109 sq ft Number of Doors 1 Peak Height 89" Poles 1 x DAC Press Fit 16mm/19mm Body Material 40D HT Rip Stop Nylon PU/Silicone 1500mm