Thread: RC867 opening

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default RC867 opening

I wanted to post this even though i know the subject has come up recently.

i keep hearing the caribou hunt on the steece has been canceled this year...

THIS IS INCORRECT.

i have personally spent nearly 3 weeks of sept/Oct dealing with fish and game and BLM regarding this hunt up here. the winter quota for the forty mile/whitemtn herd to my understanding is 600 animals... that is SPLIT BETWEEN the State and Federal subsistence tags.

state rc867 permits may be picked up in TOK or Fairbanks OR central beginning

NOVEMBER 17th...

Federal Subsistence users May pick up tags in TOK, Fairbanks or Central, beginning OCTOBER 20th... and begin hunting NOVEMBER 1st

these use the same tags.. the only qualification on the Fed tag (is where you live in relation to the area hunted, some you line in, some are just rural resident).. the Federal regulations may be picked up at blm...

take it from me... IF YOU HAVE questions.... YOU call US fish and wildlefe... NOT ADFG.... ADFG can not help you on fed issues they are still learning (trust me)

as for a road report....

last Sunday the kids and i seen plenty of bulls... no cows...about a third of the caribou were shedding antlers already so the rut is over.

also 1 large bull moose with 3 cows still..

we seen zero ptarmies...

about 8 inches of snow off the road.

we spent a good part of the day helping some folks from Wasilla out of the ditch...

they had a low tire and almost hit 2 caribou... they slid nearly 1/2 mile down the hill before going over one of the embankments by 12 mile summit...

I thought they were going to be gonners....

fortunately they hung up on some brush and were only about 15-20 over the edge....

we burned our winch up getting them up to the top and were able to snatch them the last ways with a chain...

i fretted the entire time.. because it was the first time in two years i wandered off with out my Satellite phone.... go figure...

I WOULD RATHER NOT GET IN THE ISSUE OF FED/ SUBSISTENCE.VS STATE HUNTING...

BUT IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS P M ME i will give you all the phone numbers you will need.

the photos are of my 10 yr old daughter and her 7 yr old sis, with her first successful hunt... in all the kids each got one.. but the camera froze on this one... more photos to come. there is not much story behind it... i got them up at 4 am to make the drive north. they spotted bou right off the bat... dropped them and the guy went in the ditch... dad was to tired after dealing with that and having to load the bou ... to bother doing much but come home...

Vince
    Last edited by Vince; 06-28-2009 at 18:46.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Looks like your kids were having a great time. Nice Bou!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    Looks like your kids were having a great time. Nice Bou!

thanks they did have a great time.. except for freezing while flagging traffic for 3 hours or so... while we pulled that truck out. my oldest shot a nice one with out a rack and the my son got one slightly larger then the one pictured... he was marginally upset when the antlers popped off while we drug it out on the sled...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default There is a future

Thats the future right there brother. I've got three daughters and they know about getting food on the table. They know about hard work and patience too. Sounds like you threw in a lesson on charity and kindness in that trip. I'd say you had 100% success.

Keep treating those girls right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    Thats the future right there brother. I've got three daughters and they know about getting food on the table. They know about hard work and patience too. Sounds like you threw in a lesson on charity and kindness in that trip. I'd say you had 100% success.

Keep treating those girls right.
    they learned more then that... two of the caribou we hauled home were donated to 4 other familys as well..and that was agreed upon before i let them pack their rifles for the trip

meet on face book here

Default Awesome

Awesome story. Not to sound too cheesy, but the kindness of strangers and the charity of strangers is why this place is great. Your kids will probably never forget this hunt and that is what keeps our sport and heritage alive. Congrats!