Thread: Building a new light 700 (338)

Default Building a new light 700 (338)

Looking at doing a hunting weight (7.5lbs all up) 338 in a Rem 700 and need some first hand experience with gunsmiths in Anchorage. If anyone has some good information on the smiths here in Anc I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks in advance.

Go talk to steve at alaska custom firearms on old seward next to wiggys. He makes a nice lightwieght rifle. He doesn't get too exited until a rifle weighs less than 5lbs so 7.5 should be really easy to do.

http://www.alaskacustomfirearms.com/
    907)349-GUNS

Default WHY

Instead of building a rifle which will far exceed the cost and probably won't exceed the accuracy; WHY not consider a Tikka-T3 lite at 6 1/2 lbs and add your choice of scope. It's available in 338; both Federal and Win Mag. It's also available in blue or SS.
    Weatherby also builds a lightweight magnum rifle which fills the bill. Both have a reputation for quality and accuracy.
    Good luck with your project !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default 338 WM 7.5 lbs total is real light!!!

338 WM with that target weight is easily achieved in a 700 with lightweight Talleys and good aftermarket stock, if you don't go crazy big on the optics, but, it will require a light contour on the barrel, unless you build on a titanium action (than you may go with a little heavier barrel). Nice light weight carry rifle but, it is going to have a stout recoil, no matter what you stock it in. I really like to carry (shoot just a little bit) and have a few different lightweight rigs and wouldn't go that light in one chambered in that cartridge. I have had a 700 KS in 375 H&H that went 7.5 lbs all up and I got rid of it because it was too light for me to shoot well. I have a 700 TI in 300WM that is 7lbs 4oz all up and that is about as light as I care for it to be. Have had two different 325WSMs one that was 7lbs (too light) all up and one that went 7.5lbs (just right). IMO 7.5 is not heavy enough for a 338WM, that is a potent cartridge (especially w/250s) and some weight is a good thing. I realize you are thinking of building on a 700 action, however, a Kimber Montana in 338WM is 6.75 lbs bare w/26" barrel. You could knock a few inches off the barrel which would put you at 6.5 and figure 1lbs for scope and mounts and that would put you in the ballpark. Now if you are talking muzzle breaks than I guess that changes the equation. I personally won't have one on a hunting rifle. Second the recommendation on Steve, if you are located near his shop you might want to stop by and pick his brain a bit. (Don't stay too long though, because he needs to finish up the projects he is doing for me). He can build you what you want, just remember sometimes you might not like shooting what you asked for. If you want to go even lighter, I know of a NULA 338WM that goes 5lbs 10 oz bare that is available and I bet you can guess why it is for sale. YMMV.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Thanks for the info guys.

Timber Smith I sent you a PM