Thread: Let the fun begin!!!

Talking Let the fun begin!!!

I just received my Win 71, .348 cal. Wow. Tremendous condition with great wood. Can't believe I lucked out on this one. Already have the dies, brass and bullets (200gr & 220gr) and as soon as the powder gets here, I'll start working up my loads. I have the brass primed and ready to start the fun. I'm pretty excited to work with such a great rifle. It'll definitely be my go to deer and timber elk rifle. There's supposed to be a few of these rifles lurking around Alaska...that can't be a bad thing, the way I see it. Don't mean to bore anyone...well, not really.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Default no bore- great rifles!

Talking about Win 71s beats the heck out of watching with fear the election returns!

The 71 may be the finest lever gun every built (IMO). Congrats!
    The 348 is no wimp either. Between the few jacketed bullets available and the cast bullets.... should be no problem loading to your tastes. Just lucky the Brownchester remakes brought about the re-run of brass so that's available. I shoot a lot of cast in the older type guns so have also found the 71/348 does like cast. Bullet Man Dan (aka Bullshop or BS Senior) in Delta Jct casts an excellent bullet for the 348. It's a 230 gr gas checked. Sized to .350 diameter... it is very accurate in my 71s over a mild to medium load of 4895. Either a receiver sight or the original bolt peep sights really enhance the accuracy potential of those guns.
    Good luck

link to Dan's site
    http://bullshop.gunloads.com/

I'm jealous. I've wanted one for a long time, but can't bring myself to settle for a Browning. I'm hoping that Winchester will consider re-introducing the Model 71, but I'm sure that will be a ways down the road if ever. I'm sure the next gun they'll be bringing back will be the 94, then maybe the 9422. I'd sure like to get my hands on one, though....either a good old one or a new one if they bring them back and don't try to "improve" them.

Maydog, your .348 sound great! It's nice to get one in good condition. I have the Browning BLR Model 81 in .358 Win. I think it's pretty similar. Is the 348 developed from a 308 case as well? I should probably know that...

I've never tried cast bullets in my 358. I've heard alot about them, and they sound like a good way to go. I've heard that for hunting, it's important to soften the tip after casting. Is that right?

Anyway, enjoy your new toy. I'd love to shoot that rifle - I considered the 348 as well when I got mine. They both have a good track record. And don't think they only work well under 300 yds. With 200 grain bullets and some creative handloading, these babies will carry lots of punch alot farther than that with reasonable trajectories. Have fun.

Talking

You know, I never really thought of cast bullets, but it's something to mull. Yes, I don't see any problems with the power of properly loaded ammo, especially for what I intend to hunt. The power level is the same as the .358 from what I've read. And actually, the parent case was a 50-110, so it has plenty of capacity. With iron sights, it'll be at least a 200yd rfle, maybe 250, but that's just what I want. It's definitely the bright light in this otherwise very dark and gloomy night, i9f you know what I mean. Thanks.

Thumbs up I want one.....

Way to go! I have always wanted one of those. The .348 case capacity has always interested me. I wish they still made them and I could afford several of them. I would blow the cast out a bit and rechamber it to a .375 and .416 caliber.

Talking rechamber

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Way to go! I have always wanted one of those. The .348 case capacity has always interested me. I wish they still made them and I could afford several of them. I would blow the cast out a bit and rechamber it to a .375 and .416 caliber.
    I read that someone rechambered and rebarreled a 71 to .358 in a straighter wall case and also the Ackley .358. They claim that those two versions were extremely efficient and produced over 500fps over the standard .348. Now that puts the power a few notches up the scale. Very interesting stuff, especially for you folks that love to experiment in that area. I personally just couldn't bring myself to dessicrate (sp) my 71.

Now that is so cool and you will have fun. Congrats man, good find!!!!!
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default 71 modifications

Increased velocity and bullet weight come at a price! One is that the increased recoil of such modifications exceeds the basic design of the magazine support structure of the rifle.... not to mention that a full house load in the 71/348 has significant recoil for the shooter. Many have wildcatted the 71/348 over the years with a very famous version coming out by Johnson of Cooper Landing years ago. An original Johnson 71 Alaska Special has mantained or increased in value. Other 71/348 wildcat versions likely have decreased in future or re-sale value. I think some version is being offered by Turnbull now??? Turnbull guns (the exception) may retain value becasue the company is so well known. I'd hold off on any such ideas until running the 348 thru it paces. I've found the 200gr Hornady FP to be exceedingly accurate in the 71. Another choice of bullet well suited to the 348 that can be tailored to different needs (different weights, jacket thicknesses and nose forms) is the Hawk bullet.
    http://www.hawkbullets.com/Pricelist.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Maydog View Post
    I personally just couldn't bring myself to dessicrate (sp) my 71.
    Agreed. That's kept me watching for a Browning 71 to do my wildcatting, but buxx and opportunity never seem to line up. Instead I did a version of the wildcatting on a Marlin (45-70 case expanded and necked to .429, rather than doing the same with a 348, as intended). My concern with doing it with any caliber is the availability of suitable flatnosed bullets for use in tublar magazines. A .416 sounds dandy, but I'll reconfirm bullets first.

On the tubular magazine issues that George references, pay attention. I have heard two first hand accounts that verify it. My 450 is one of Johnson's earliest, verified by some of the details of his mods. Among the most significant are changes in the magazine and a forend tip with an integral sling swivel base.

Back to the Marlin-based wildcat, along with any other Marlin. Cycle the action on your Marlin, then do the same on your 71 (or an 1886). The Marlin feels like opening and closing the door on a Yugo, while the Winchester feels like opening and closing the door on a Mercedes. It may not make any difference on accuracy or performance, but it certainly improves owner satisfaction!

Talking

You're right about the difference in smoothness of actions between the Marlin and Win. I agonized over the decision between the two when I decided to purchase the Marlin. The one I hunt with is pretty smooth but then the Win 71 was not available then either. If it had been, I would have ended up with it. But I'm a fickle duck also when it comes beautiful rifles and women. You see what I put first.