Thread: What should a gun owner do

Default What should a gun owner do

if by tomorrow night Dems have complete control???
    I'm thinking they'll look to tax the hell out of ammo and guns, that way they can claim to not be gun grabbers.
    I got dozens of guns so I'm going to stock up on ammo and reloading components.

Actually I already started. I've been spending $500 a month for the last 4 months as a hedge. Just call me an evil speculator, but I've seen the prices of ammo in other countries where ammo is taxed so heavily that it's essentially luxury item.

If things go bad, they won't have legal control until January. But there will be a rush at the stores that will be even worse than the current hoarding problem...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default True

Quote Originally Posted by AKKCChief View Post
    I got dozens of guns so I'm going to stock up on ammo and reloading components.

Actually I already started. I've been spending $500 a month for the last 4 months as a hedge. Just call me an evil speculator, but I've seen the prices of ammo in other countries where ammo is taxed so heavily that it's essentially luxury item.
    Some countries even require licenses to purchase reloading components, and even then the amount of componenets is limited and regulated, TIGHTLY!!! Combined with taxes as well !
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default magazines/guns

Buy all the good quality high capacity magazines and "battle rifles" you can afford.

Make it a tradition on election day to exercise your right to vote, and to purchase a firearm. There may come a day when we can do neither.

Here in Tennessee, ammo has almost doubled in price in the past year. No one can say why either. This past Sunday at Sportsmans, the ammo shelves were almost empty. I saw people buying anywhere from 3 to 10 boxes at a time. I have a 7mm Rem Mag and a 35 Rem. I was able to buy 1 box of 7 Mag ammo, but Sportsmans has not had 35 Rem in several months. Also pistol ammo was going fast too. In taking to several friends in other states, seems to be a run on guns and ammo. Any one else seeing these trends too?

As some of you may be aware of, the economy is not doing so well and there is talk of a depression. According to manufacturers, these are the good times. Sales almost always spike during a crisis.
    Are you as unimpressed with my signature block as I am with yours?

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I wont lie and pretend that I don’t feel the intense urge to panic and run screaming to the nearest gun store to max out the credit card with thousands of dollars worth of reloading supplies but I am trying very hard to look at this situation with just a tad bit of reason and logic………….

First off, the opposition, or rather the Democrats did not obtain the “super majority” that would have made for a filibuster proof congress………….. that would have been bad……. Really bad. So then, any changes in the federal regulations must still pass thru a bipartisan senate and house before it lands on the Presidents desk to be signed into law. Not the walk in the park the liberals were hoping for, and not a quick and easy thing to be sure. So any changes in the regulations, I suspect will be some months, or perhaps a year or more in the making, and will likely take as long or hopefully longer to be enacted, if ever.

Therefore, I personally think we will see out sport eroded and attacked not from direct legislation regarding firearms’ and ammunition, but thru environmental activism and the courts. Just have a look at California and their endangered condors………… bullets with exposed lead are now banned from the condors area of habitat. I strongly suspect we will soon see similar attempts in other parts of the country including Alaska. Especially those areas that fall under the jurisdiction of the 9th circuit court of appeals with its notoriously left leaning judges. So be watchful for the next “endangered critter” headed to our neck of the woods. All they need do is find a hand full of left leaning “scientists” to find some trace of lead in the system of some poor dead endangered critter and the race will be on………..

I do expect to see a significant rise in the cost of anything related to firearms as my fellow sportsmen put the rules of supply and demand to test with hording and opportunisms.

For me, it’s going to probably be .22 long rifle that I spend the most on. It is the one that gets used the most around my house and is the one that I cannot reload. I have watched with horror as a brick of 500 has gone from $10, to $15, to $20 and now more as I try to calculate and plan for three boys growing up and shooting .22’s over the span of say 18 years or so……….. yikes!

I will of course also stock up on brass, primers and bullets, but have not decided what to do about powder……….
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Heres some food for thought for you. My distributor (the biggest) sold 8,000 DPMS stripped lowers in a week. They have no AR15 mags, no ARs, no AKs, very few Glock Mags. No SIG 556 rifles, 40 556 Pistols went in a day. Last night there were 5 black FN2000s in stock, none this am. We sold 40 Colt ARs in a week.

Keep in mind that stocks will rise again, some prices might, watch for dealers trying to gouge you. I'm buying every primer I can find, myslef

Just pop over to gunbrokers and you can find anything you like in stock. I typed in DPMS under the semiauto rifle section and 4 pages of items were offered for sale, including stripped lowers. And this is just one brand.
    With the economy in the toilet the way it is the hardware is easy to find.
    Now if you are really concerned with reloading supplies I suggest you start laying in a supply of bullet casting materials
    Cheers.
    Tennessee

You must also consider that not all Democrats are gun grabbers. The true gun grabbers are still a minority in Congress. Even the Dems are still very cautious about trying to touch guns as gun owners encompass a very bi-partisan crowd. Believe it or not, there are several Democrat stickers on vehicles at the gun club each weekend.

What we need to worry about is the old "warming the pot" method of regulation. If anything, they will try to reenact some or all of the Clinton Ban. However, even this effort will require a catalyst to get the needed support. If we start seeing the leftist media ramp up the coverage given to each and every shooting event accross the country, then we'll know they are trying sway public opinion against the "bad guns" again to set up a "little regulation" that may pass. A Columbine type event is what they secretly wish for in order to quickly push through more gun regulation. Just like they did last time.

By the way, I checked online hi-cap AR mag prices yesterday and found them at $12.50 each. I rechecked the same stores today and they are up to $17.95, so the anticipation of a complete Democrat government is already taking hold.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

My concern isn't so much an outright ban on guns, at least in the near term. It is a huge taxed placed on them, and ammunition. Think it won't happen, look at cigarettes.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    You must also consider that not all Democrats are gun grabbers. ... Believe it or not, there are several Democrat stickers on vehicles at the gun club each weekend.
    Believe it. And some of us don't put stickers on our cars.

A Columbine type event is what they secretly wish for in order to quickly push through more gun regulation.
    Nobody wishes for that.

But tragedies are sometimes used as political opportunities. If you're concerned about attacks on the 2d amendment in the wake of a tragedy, you need look no further than what's been done to the 4th and 5th over the last several years.

Default I aint that stupid!

You must also consider that not all Democrats are gun grabbers. The true gun grabbers are still a minority in Congress. Even the Dems are still very cautious about trying to touch guns as gun owners encompass a very bi-partisan crowd. Believe it or not, there are several Democrat stickers on vehicles at the gun club each weekend.

Maybe those Democrats don't read their own Party Platform ( http://www.democrats.org/a/party/platform.html)as it explicitly states "reinstating the assault weapons ban". These Dem Pols will say anything to get your vote and then turn around after being elected and quickly begin to pi$$ on the 2nd Amendment from every possible angle. How anyone can honestly be believe in the 2nd Amendment and the US Constitution as a whole and still be Democrat is beyond me. I just thank God that Chuck Schumer's boy toy Begich didn't get elected.

I look forward to:

1) A weak Republican opposition as Sen Mitch McConnel of Ky will be the Minority leader and his past performance is poor to say the least. He's a "reach across the aisle and legislate" type of Republican.
    The Sad part is this would have been Ted Stevens role had he not......well I won't go there.

2) A weak Republican Minority in the Senate and a powerless Republican House delegation will lead to.............

3) Huge increase in taxes on Firearms and Ammunition.

3) Reinstatment of "Assault Weapons Ban", this time not without a 10 year sunset and a more intensive list of firearms to possibly include semiauto handguns.

4) Just as Obama will seek to bankrupt the Coal Industry, the Firearms Industry will be targeted.

Welcome to 2nd Amendment Hell boys! And let's work now for a strong midterm Democrat backlash in 2010. Support for the NRA and GOA will be more important now than ever!

Default Better late than never

After Democrats gained seats in 2006 and the price of components and ammo continued to spike, I began purchasing bulk quantities of reloading components, ammo, and high-cap mags and ordered a few additional firearms. Unfortunately, one firearm is still on backorder. A lot of gunowners saw the signs ages ago, and the rush was on.

That rush is only going to intensify now. You will find multiple firearms manufacturers are operating under huge backorder conditions and it would not surprise me if this spreads industry-wide. Winchester experienced a lengthy backorder of reloading components late last year/early 2008, and some of their products are in drought as we speak, though I'm not sure of the exact reasons.

So, it is a bit late I think to start but better late than never. I would recommend people who still want to stock up to surf as many websites and visit as many shops as possible to find the firearms and supplies IN STOCK. Be willing to dip into savings a bit and to sacrifice on the specific firearms features or product brand names that you prefer.

BTW, I presently live and work in a country where private gun ownership is almost entirely illegal and ownership of primers/smokeless/black powder requires the most stringent of licenses. Thankfully, I am a U.S. citizen with a residence in the States.

Quote Originally Posted by TnRuss View Post
    Here in Tennessee, ammo has almost doubled in price in the past year. No one can say why either. This past Sunday at Sportsmans, the ammo shelves were almost empty. I saw people buying anywhere from 3 to 10 boxes at a time. I have a 7mm Rem Mag and a 35 Rem. I was able to buy 1 box of 7 Mag ammo, but Sportsmans has not had 35 Rem in several months. Also pistol ammo was going fast too. In taking to several friends in other states, seems to be a run on guns and ammo. Any one else seeing these trends too?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    I will of course also stock up on brass, primers and bullets, but have not decided what to do about powder……….
    There are 2 rifle powders I was using a lot of, and of course, most rifle cartridges use a lot more powder per round than a handgun cartridge.

A cupla years ago, I went to the SW and got an 8 lb. jug of each of them. It cost me a lot of $$ up front, but it was a LOT cheaper, than buying it 1 lb. at a time, and I'm still stocked up.

I'm sure the price has gone up, but the 8 lb. jugs are probably still cheaper. I think that's the way to go, if you can afford the up-front cost.

I'm not suggesting that you get 8 lbs. of every powder you use, but just the one, or ones, you use the most, and perhaps one that can be used in a large variety of cartridges.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Powders

Good points. I use one powder for all my rifle loads (IMR 4895 for 223, 308, and 45-70) but am a general target shooter/hunter and not an accuracy/chrony buff. I use WW231 for general target rounds in 38SPL/45ACP/45Colt, Alliant Power Pistol for hotter 45ACP rounds, and H110 for 357/hot 45Colt rounds.

These may not be the most ideal powders for those rounds, but they work great for my purposes and consolidating to a few powders allowed me to buy in bulk with less expense.