Thread: gps unit for riding

Default gps unit for riding

I'm sure this one has been covered but am curious about what others are running for gps units and more curious on how you mount them, keep them warm etc.
    I've always just kept my little garmin around my neck and check it ever so often but am thinking of installing a good sized unit on my machine that is user friendly and easy to read.
    Pics would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Default Garmins

I have had the Garmin mapping units from the E-map all the way up to the current 60csx. Would highly recommend the 60csx or the new Colorado 400t if you can afford it. I just use the ram handlebar mount so I can swap it from my ATV, snowmachine and truck whenever I need it and then when I get there I can take it off and throw it in my pocket for the hike, hunt etc. Works like a champ and never had a problem reading it. Not to mention the csx is pretty waterproof so no worry about adverse weather.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

I have the 60CSX as well. I made it a point to loop the GPS lanyard around the bar before I mounted the GPS. It makes it a bit of a pain to remove but if I tip the sled or knock it off on some brush it stays with the sled!

I have the 76csx and I like it alot. I always just keep it in my pack or something since I dont normally use it for navigation but it always gets signal and keeps a track for me so its there if I need it.

Default power

Are you guys just running batteries or are you hooking up to a power port?

I've had a garmin-etrex vista c for a few years and I still like it -- maybe because I'm familiar with it. I normally just keep it in a pocket or on a caribiner, but this summer I bought a ram mount to put it up where I can see it on my 4-wheeler. I just bought a couple of extra mount bases so I can swap it back and forth between my atv and sleds. Both of my atvs and one of my sleds already have auxiliary 12v receptacles, and I just wired one up on the other sled last weekend -- should safe on batteries, especially in the cold.

I run it off the powerport on sled and atv's and batteries when I am hiking. Works perfect. May install a thumb warmer pad to the mount to keep it a little warmer on the sled so the LCD doesnt freeze.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Default batteries

I have a Garman E trex Vist HCX and love is. Also, way better to use lithium batteries. They last much longer, are lighter, and unlike alkaline provide power even when they get way cold.

I used to use an Etrex but now I take a Rino. I like the communication capability. I don't want or need a GPS mounted to anything. I want and occasionally need it in my pocket. My Rino's GPS works even from inside my pocket but I usually turn it off. The new GPS units initialize so fast I don't think its a big deal. If I'm riding with my kid I make sure both units are on so I can find her if we get separated. She knows to stop and key the mike so I can see where she is. The radio is handy for a lot of situations, too.

Default Mr. Pid

Which Rhino do you have and what kind of range are you getting?

I carry a 120 and my kid uses a 110. Range depends on terrain and forest. A couple of miles playing around in the woods and swamps around the Su Valley to several miles at Arctic Man. I haven't tried the new 5 watt radios.

Garmin 276c for boating, snowgo, & argo. Multiple marine style mounts. Larger screen size than hand held is big plus. I run off the machine electrical so unit is always fully charged and for the convience of not having to charge after use. Cold does not seem to have any affect (Fairbanks).