Thread: begginer trapper

Default begginer trapper

Hello. I have never trapped before and would like to get started. I have no idea what to do or use. I am thinking for trying for mink, marten, and ermine. I was thinking about using 120 conibears, squirrels for bait, and checking the traps about once or twice a week. Any information for a beggining trapper is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ak char View Post
    Hello. I have never trapped before and would like to get started. I have no idea what to do or use. I am thinking for trying for mink, marten, and ermine. I was thinking about using 120 conibears, squirrels for bait, and checking the traps about once or twice a week. Any information for a beggining trapper is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    You could use 120 or 110 conis for martin or mink. if you are going to only check them once a week or twice a week I would make my sets with tip ups of make the martin hang. Also I would use herring for bait with some good lure. Also you might want to think about some #1 long springs for martin on a pole set. They are a ton easier to reset while the animal is frozen. there is agreat web site that has tons of info on it. Check it would at trappingforkids.com. It is a great sight and I use it all the time.

If you trap in Juneau make sure you read the regs carefully. Not many places to trap. I use to go out by skiff and get away from the crowd. Herring, deer scraps and moose scraps is what worked best for marten around there for me. I also used either Gusto or Sable Oil for lure. Hang a grouse or duck wing next to you sets and it will attrack more fur. Never did well with squirels.
    Herring works great for mink and will bring in an otter now and then. Be sure to wire or nail your traps down good. If you use 16 wire on mink sets you will lose the trap if an otter gets into it. I went to larger wire to avoid that.
    Never had a problem with mice getting fur. If you only can check once a week watch the weather as you will get green belly on your furs when it is warm. Warm weeks check you sets more often.
    Good luck and have fun!

John

Are you still trapping in Juneau Jon. I have been trapping there for the last five years or so, just for somthing to do.

No, I moved back to Fairbanks. I missed the "real" Alaska too much. Couldn't stand not being able to ride a snowmachine or four wheeler. Missed the trapping up here.

Also, will a #110 do as good as a #120 size conibear? #110's are about twice as cheap, but do they work as good? I'd hate to lose a marten out of a trap just because i needed something cheaper.

Thanks for all of the info.

Supporting Member

Default Connibears

While 110's will work on marten, most folks prefer 120's because they provide for a quicker kill, which can result in less fur damage. The other advantage to the 120's is they stabilize easier with the two springs. If you have the 110's, you can buy additional springs for about $2 each and turn them into 120's.

Yep, get 120's. I used old newspaper tubes to hold them. Cut a notch on each side of the tube and the 120 will fit in. Pry the springs up and the trap locks in. These work great in the freeze thaw you get in Juneau.