Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any scary moments this year?

Default Any scary moments this year?

Pretty fairly calm year for me other than one instance.

During our annual Chitnia trip things where going as usual picking up reds on the drift down at the lower limit. On our last pass we pulled in a monster king and started heading back up the canyon.

So we started up the canyon and the 150 Honda started to surge and I was trying to find a safe haven ASAP. It wasn't quite fast enough and we was at the mercy of the current, almost bobbin' off the walls of the canyon if it wasn't for a long oar we had. Ain't no chance of effectively throwing an anchor in the canyon. Finally back down to the lower limit we through a 25# rictor anchor and a additional 30# weight. We where still heading for Cordova!

Finally, another boat saw we was in trouble and threw us a tow rope. Once on shore we looked everything over and saw nothing wrong with the fuel lines. I thought for sure it was computer probs and I was going to be screwed at the bottom of the canyon.

We sat there for a good while pondering and going over everything time after time. Grabbed the quick release on the fuel polly and it came unattached. The fuel male connector was on the female but was not clicked together. Found out when we pulled that last king in the net went over the poly drum and disconnected the fuel line just enough to take in air.

No polys for next year! Karolds is going to weld a tank in. But was relieved that it was not $$$$ computer problem or fault outboard.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Interesting story. In all the work I have done up here in very remote places, sure seems like just when you think you are in trouble, the solution presents itself. I guess I have just been lucky enough not to have a major problem too far from home. Glad to hear you guys made it back safe. How do you like that honda?

A run far up the Kashwitna in tjm's boat had a high pucker factor for me but the trip went very well.

I had a rod bearing bite the dust in my brand new 350FI at the face of Knik Glacier. It wasn't a scary moment but I was sure pissed off. Took 6 hours to idle back to the launch against the wind in the cover of darkness. The trip back finding our way through the ever braided Knik with two boat lights, two flashlights, and one flood light really sucked.

Two years ago I took my 16' jon boat with a 40/30hp jet through the Copper River canyon, TWICE. The boat was loaded with two other people, gear, and 70 fish. Talk about slow!! Right at the head of the canyon the bucket bushings decided to pull a vangishing act which robbed me of about %50 the ouboards power. Plowing through the water with such a load from the canyon to the bridge really had me on edge.

Default seward scare

earlier this summer my brother and i were fishing out of seward. we were following this charter boat out to pony cove where we would fish for the day. in the afternoon the weather turned sour and we decided to pick up and leave because the charter boat decided the same. we ran into some serious water coming back to seward. even the charter boat was bucking the waves. i had water coming over the bow and splashing the windshield. my wiper got a workout that day. the funniest thing is every once in a while that guy would open up his cabin door and peek out to make sure we were still behind him. my only thought this whole time was man we've got a long way to go... ever since then i dont care how hot the action is, if it looks questionable ill pick up and leave. sometimes you dont realize how quickly things can go wrong.

almost every trip out...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Default It just got scarier...

about four hours ago...strap yourself in for the next four years--it's gonna be a bumpy ride!

IceKing02

Default Whales

My wife and I were running out of Whittier on a fine day in PWS. As we zoom zoom in the narrow passage between Naked Island and ???? (can't remember the name, we have a humpback surface right in front of us. I hit full throttle reverse and just barley miss it.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    My wife and I were running out of Whittier on a fine day in PWS. As we zoom zoom in the narrow passage between Naked Island and ???? (can't remember the name, we have a humpback surface right in front of us. I hit full throttle reverse and just barley miss it.
    Out in Montague this year was getting ready to leave when a pod of whales decided to take up residence next to my boat. Could not drive without hitting one of them. They came out of no ware. Got allot of good pics, but my butt cheeks were tight the whole time.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I can honestly say about the last 10 seconds of this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAi7aHfXK30

hehe
    Skinny water addict

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Out in Montague this year was getting ready to leave when a pod of whales decided to take up residence next to my boat. Could not drive without hitting one of them. They came out of no ware. Got allot of good pics, but my butt cheeks were tight the whole time.
    Yep real tight, but something we will never forget............

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Default Flat Island

Went out of Homer and anchored up off Flat Island. We (four of us) had been on the hook a couple hours in a very strong rip. I heard a noise coming from the bow. When I turned around I freaked because a huge comercial fishing vessel was right on top of us. Passing by our right hand side only about 100 ft off. We hailed on vhf with no response didn't have time to grab the horn. As the vessel passed we could see the guy at the helm was asleep. Must have been on auto-pilot.

Default Seward

Few seasons back heading to Pony, the swells got larger and larger as we got out there in the middle of things. They were so big we were crawling up them and gaining 5 knots going down them! Eventually they became so large not being able to see anything around or over the top was starting to make us nervous for two reasons; One, we could have a collision easy if someone else was out there. Two, what would the afternoon chop be like on top of this? We finally made a dash for Eldorado narrows in an attempt to get out of it and get back to Seward. Bad idea, it choked down between the islands and now the swells had a nice edge on the top that made things insane! The worst part of the whole trip was going between the islands watching the waves crash up the side of the cliffs. If we would have lost power we would have been a splatter stain half way up the mountain!

Scariest moment for me was filling up at the fuel dock in Whittier to the tune of $5.17 a gallon. I have three 135 gallon tanks!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Scariest moment for me was filling up at the fuel dock in Whittier to the tune of $5.17 a gallon. I have three 135 gallon tanks!
    Wana trade??? I have 160gal.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Wana trade??? I have 160gal.
    Tell you what. Come out for a ride and I will let you fill her up. That way you can get the frequent flyer miles. I might even let you steer.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Seward

Out to Bear Glacier in a 20ft Aurora with self draining bow.
    Came back under small craft advisory into Seward with solid 5 ft and sometimes 6 foot steep breaking waves. Had to bring boat to nearly a full stall at the crest and then ease down at an angle you hope did not bury the bow and windshield and cause you to get rolled. I always wonder how hard it would be to deploy a self inflating life raft, grab the kids (they were not with us that day) and get into a life raft under these conditions without losing anybody????

A slow sinking in 2 or 3 foot seas would be a piece of cake relatively speaking.

Default another one out of seward this year..

we were fishing for silvers between fox and either rugged or hive islands and the boat traffic was getting pretty congested between the islands. we decided to try our luck elsewhere and we were going behind fox and i was looking at the chart and i said to my brother keep an eye out for some rocks out here, and no sooner were the words out of my mouth when my brother screamed rocks!! i looked down and we had just drove right over the tops of them. literally missed them by maybe a foot directly below us. man i couldve sworn i was farther out than i was. that could have been catastophic. sometimes distances can be deceiving while on the water....

Default every time I went out

Since this was my first year going out on big water, 21 ft thompson, everytime out was a pucker factor. I was anchored off pigot point had a big cabin cruiser pass on step 50 feet off port just as big commercial boat passed on step 50 feet off starboard. both wakes hit at the same time, boat went straight up and then the water dropped out under us,not a great feeling. I only had time to grab my 5 yo daughter and toss her in the cabin as we got tossed around. I wasn't too worried at the time till I saw the commercial guy turn about to check on us. must have looked pretty bad from their view. No real misshaps this summer, I'm hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by arcticfox77 View Post
    we were fishing for silvers between fox and either rugged or hive islands and the boat traffic was getting pretty congested between the islands. we decided to try our luck elsewhere and we were going behind fox and i was looking at the chart and i said to my brother keep an eye out for some rocks out here, and no sooner were the words out of my mouth when my brother screamed rocks!! i looked down and we had just drove right over the tops of them. literally missed them by maybe a foot directly below us. man i couldve sworn i was farther out than i was. that could have been catastophic. sometimes distances can be deceiving while on the water....
    Beautiful flat day in the sound and we were cruising along side of Perry Island heading to the south end and shut her down to eat lunch and as we cut power we look underneath the boat at a rock about 10-12 foot long and just as wide about 4' deep . Good thing we were at or close to high tide. It was a good looking rock to eat beside!!

Default South Culross

Quote Originally Posted by Xanfly View Post
    Beautiful flat day in the sound and we were cruising along side of Perry Island heading to the south end and shut her down to eat lunch and as we cut power we look underneath the boat at a rock about 10-12 foot long and just as wide about 4' deep . Good thing we were at or close to high tide. It was a good looking rock to eat beside!!
    I think there is the same rock on the south side of Culrose Passage. When I glide over it, it is white and so was my face!!!!!!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast