Thread: 140 4-stroke Suzuki/17.5 Wooldridge AK

Default 140 4-stroke Suzuki/17.5 Wooldridge AK

I currently own an Alaskan 17.5 Wooldridge with a 115 Mercury Optimax. This is a great set up, though my hunting partner and I are thinking of buying another 17.5 Alaskan and I also own a 20' boat with a 140 Suzuki that is 2 years old and I would swap out the 140 and put it on the new AK 17.5. Does anyone have any experience with this type of set up?

Performance to weight?
    On step considerations?

We also found that with a load, the Wooldridge needed more power (115 Opti) for really tight running. It took almost 3 boat lengths to get on step with a moose and gear one man. The boat was also very sluggish going down river not on step compared to when we took out half the moose and it ran much better.

I think that would be a helluva rig..!!!
    I suspect your current 17.5 is one of the older 53" bottom?
    I have that 140 on a 20' boat as well and really like the motor, weight is about the same as a Yamaha 115/80.
    The new 17.5 are rated for 135 hp, I am sure that the 140 on a 60 " hull would do really well, as far as carrying a load and getting on step. most of the new ones I have seen come with the 115's.
    Whats wrong w/ the 20 foot boat the motor is currently on?

Default Ak Rig

My current Wooly Ak is the new 60" with the 115 opti. We are just looking for another new Wooly AK and I was thinking rather than buy a whole new set up. Just swap out the 140 off my 20' Thunderjet, which is not a jet boat. I'd have to buy the jet unit to instal as well. I'd swap this outboard every fall when I go hunting.

I just found with 115 more power is desired for take off. If the water is deep there is no problem, but in the skinny stuff, with a load I just figure more HP will be better.

AK GRAMPS: How does the 140 four stroke do? As far as being on a jet boat that may over-rev or have 0-full throttle type running?

You can see in the picture, I have half a large moose and camping gear with 2 hp Honda. One man and this made the Wooly still very nimble on it's feet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have found the 140 4S is on step quick, my boat is 19-8 X 60", I had a 53" Wooly w 115/80 before and it would squat before it got on step. W/ the new boat the back just comes up and it goes. NEAT! The hull is slightly diffrent then the wooly and that could make a diffrence.
    I have not had any problem w/ overreving, idont know if its possible w/ a properly set up jet-pump, max RPM is around 53-5400.
    I have found I can haul ~2000 pounds in the boat but does take some time/room to get up. Fuel usage w/ that weight also seems ok. Near as I can tell from the testing I have done so far is 5.8- 6.2 GPH at 28-30 MPH. I have modified the tunnel since then and think it may work even better but havent loaded it yet to find out. Its tricky to accurately measure time to get on step, for me anyway.
    I know if I am light the boat will be up in under 4 seconds.
    The 140 does take the Super pump so it moves a lot of water.
    There was thread this fall w/ a 17.5 wooly and 115 and it seemed he could haul a substansial amount of weight?http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ght=wolfkiller
    I suspect your boat would have similar performance? maybe better being open and a little lighter than a windshield model.