Thread: Bear fat for moose burger?

Default Bear fat for moose burger?

I couldn't figure out a term to put in the search engine for this so I will just ask the question. Has anyone used black bear fat mixed in with their moose for making burger?

Default Never done it Jon

Jon, we've never done it here. Once rendered, bear fat is like lard or crisco. I suppose you could just grind in unrendered bear fat with the moose, but imagine you'd have to thoroughly cook the burgers or whatever. We just use moose fat ground in with the moose meat; I just butchered the pelvis piece off one of the moose we took this fall to get all the rump fat off...we use that rump fat (or kidney fat) all winter when we grind moose meat. Bear lard is great for frying things in though!

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Jon, we've never done it here. Once rendered, bear fat is like lard or crisco. I suppose you could just grind in unrendered bear fat with the moose, but imagine you'd have to thoroughly cook the burgers or whatever. We just use moose fat ground in with the moose meat; I just butchered the pelvis piece off one of the moose we took this fall to get all the rump fat off...we use that rump fat (or kidney fat) all winter when we grind moose meat. Bear lard is great for frying things in though!
    It is also wonderful to make pie crust. It makes one of the most flakest crust.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Lujon... i always trim the fat off and can it for the pets. spring bear is nice, but has little fat. i have found that depending on where you harvest the bear all the bad stuff it ate is in the fat still in the fall.. if there is a dump with in 100 miles i am sure they have been in it. years ago we pulled a fat one of the yukon... some i rendered into oil and that was fine but the stuff we cut and put back in to the meat tasted like, wet sand smells like if you get my meaning....

It has only been the last 5-7 years i began trimming all the fat off my game. and i have to say. we get a much better product for it. as we stay away from commercial meat as much as we can.. i also use raised hogs to mix in with meat. i know that may not be an option for you. however you can get sides of pork from some of the packers and there are always farms in the valley that sell fall hogs for 150-200... and what you don't mix you have to add to your freezer.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default bearfat pastry

I second widboar's observation. I have heard that bearfat is coveted for pastry baking.

Bear fat is excellent for cooking pastries. We render our own and store it in the crisco container in the fridge. It's pure white and is sweet tasting. Never added it to ground meat though. I think it would melt quick and become soft at room temperature after it's been rendered.
    Also works great on leather for H20 proofing and softening.
    BK
    Last edited by bkmail; 12-14-2008 at 04:35. Reason: sp

We've rendered fall black bear fat for years and use it just like lard works great. Bear lard does have it's distinct flavor so you may want to experiment some before you make up a ton of burger.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Bear fat....
    Also works great on leather for H20 proofing and softening.
    BK
    Ah yes, it works wonder on my old leathery hands too!

After the lard is rendered, I boil it up with the sticky buds of balsam poplar.

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley