Thread: Caribou IN Kotzebue!

Thumbs up Caribou IN Kotzebue!

I thought that you guys would enjoy this report. Last week we had 2 large groups of Caribou walk through down town Kotzebue. Well ok, they were about 200 yards from the down town area but it was cool to watch! Group 1 which numbered about 800 bou walked off of the frozen sea and over the top of a hill just out of town and the next day group 2, about 400 bou took a break just off of Front Street. It is good to see som many healthy animals in the winter!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Camps, Rafts and Canoe rentals
    33 Miles north of the Arctic Circle
    Kotzebue AK
    907-442-3944

Cool stuff man. I was working in Kotz for six months in 2004. I will never forget the day I walked out of the post office and saw a few hundred caribou walking along the frozen ocean. For a southern boy, those kind of memories stick with you.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

See any trophy racks? Did you get one?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Racks????

Those things are RUUUUTTTTTYYYYY by now, surely. Cows are still pretty tasty, but not as fatty and tender. Glad my bulls have been in the freezer since sept.

Default No

I would have a tough time pulling the .270 out on front street and bagging a bou, I am a private hunter. There were bou taken by some people. I had some students shoot 2-3 out of town near Lockhart Point on Sunday. I will be heading out to Ambler this weekend and will let you know if we see game. Lots of Moose up the Kobuk!

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska View Post
    I would have a tough time pulling the .270 out on front street and bagging a bou, I am a private hunter. There were bou taken by some people. I had some students shoot 2-3 out of town near Lockhart Point on Sunday. I will be heading out to Ambler this weekend and will let you know if we see game. Lots of Moose up the Kobuk!

Walt

Ambler: one of my favorite spots on the planet. I'm envious, Walt!

Default Heading up this weekend!!!!

Weather in the PWS is down, so Im heading north to help a friend fill his Moose permit...and yes there are lots of Moose on the Kobuk!!!! Andy
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

I for one would love to retire in Kiana.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Moose on the Kobuk

In the spring time I see groups of moose up near Ambler. I have seen groups of up to 25-30! No ****! The mouth of the Kobuk whick is in the Seliwik WR is thick in the fall. We have about 3 outstanding float hunting rivers that produce big bull and we send a few groups out each fall.

I believe it. I've seen bands of 30 as well on the Kugarouk
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    I believe it. I've seen bands of 30 as well on the Kugarouk
    Now you are talking about some of my faverote rivers Shuuuu.

Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska View Post
    In the spring time I see groups of moose up near Ambler. I have seen groups of up to 25-30! No ****! The mouth of the Kobuk whick is in the Seliwik WR is thick in the fall. We have about 3 outstanding float hunting rivers that produce big bull and we send a few groups out each fall.
    I once counted 50 with a friend back behind Ivik, back when you could take Moose in the spring.
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

Default Kobuk

I used to live in Kobuk. That is amazing country! I shot some incredible caribou and a 62" moose with 7 brow tines on one side and 5 on the other. 19 points total on one side and 21 on the other. It has a drop tine coming from underneath the paddle. It would have been more like 65" if it hadn't broke some major points off. I shot it thanksgiving day in 2000. What a day. I wish I had a pic to share.