Thread: The guys in the Red Ford King Rancher

Smile The guys in the Red Ford King Rancher

Well this has been on my mind for some time. And the only way I can think to get the word out is by posting it here. We were hunting in Unit 20, and had been hunting hard for 4 days, and only seen one cow moose. Yea pretty sad I know.. But on the morning of the 5th day the last day a red Ford King Rancher pulls up with a 4 wheeler in the bed, now let me take a step back and mention that we had noticed these guys road hunting and driving back and fourth through out the trip. The Ford with 3 older guys stop asked if we had seen any moose and we mentioned the cow and some tracks. And the guy sitting in the back seat looks at me and asks how old I am. Now I have no idea who these guys are and really starting to wonder. But I told them and the guy sitting in the back seat mentioned that if he was my age he would have gone and got that moose. Well needless to say they had my attention now, and after they had a small strugle among themselves about age and packing out a moose. The gentleman sitting in the back seat proceeds to tell me where he had been watching 3 moose and that he thought one of them was a bull.
    Now on that day we rode in we concentrated on the area this guy had mentioned and well we noticed a moose, and with no spotting scope we couldn't tell. So my dad tells me and my brother to take our rifles and go for a walk. Well we did and left the machines at 10:30am and went for a very long walk and at 4:45 our guns went off to drop this bull.

Needless to say those guys in that red Ford made a memory for a father and his two sons. That we will never forget, it was my first moose, my brothers first moose hunt and my dads first hunt after his sugery. Now My fathers not in the picture he is taking the picture but let me assure you his smile was from ear to ear. So if any of you that read this post know of 3 guys driving in a Red Ford King Rancher with a 4 wheeler in the back that were hunting Unit 20. Please let them know that taking the extra mintue to help us out will last a life time of memories for us...

Thanks,
    Chris

Default oh one more thing

Forgot to add the pack out that the guys were dreeding over was about 200 yards. After we got the 4 wheelers in there.

But thats beside the point I would still like to thank them...

This is a really great story and I truely hope you find those fellas so you can thank them proper. I think if you pass the kindness along to the next generation of young hunters that cross your path, it will be all the thanks that those fellas will require. Thats whats its all about & congradulations on a nice bull.

Default Congrats

When I started reading this thread I was sure it was going to turn ugly, but I am glad it did not. Honest, decent hunters do frequent the Alaska wilds. We just never get to hear about them too often. Thanks for the good read.

That was pretty cool of a couple of folks to help you out. It is nice to hear some good stories on the forum. Congrats on a nice bull and a short pack.

It would be excellent if you could find the gentlemen who gave the moose up and thank them with a tastey beverage of their choice.

Zeba34 & AFhunter,

Yes I would buy those guys a bottle each of their choice and hook them up with some meat. During that 6 hour walk we saw 9 cows and 3 bulls. Of course we saw the other 2 bulls after we shot the one in the pic above post, but dicided to let them walk. Especially concidering we we not sure we would be able to get the 4 wheelers in where we shot our moose. And figured for a long, long pack out. But we did get very lucky and got the wheelers in there, thanks to the winches and a little dedication. We never saw the Ford with the three guys in it again, but I only hope that in the future I can return the favor to another hunter. My hat is off and beer glass is full (well not right now because it's 0930) but you know what I mean to those guys in that truck.

Good hunting ethics are priceless,
    Chris

I also thought for a minute there it was going to get ugly and I also thought they were talking about me until I read king rancher. I was hunting unit 20 with my red ford and also a 4 wheeler in the back and had stopped to talk to alot of people. I was releived to hear it turned out successfull. Great story and great bull. contrats on the bull

Quote Originally Posted by AFHunter View Post
    When I started reading this thread I was sure it was going to turn ugly, but I am glad it did not. Honest, decent hunters do frequent the Alaska wilds. We just never get to hear about them too often. Thanks for the good read.

That was pretty cool of a couple of folks to help you out. It is nice to hear some good stories on the forum. Congrats on a nice bull and a short pack.

It would be excellent if you could find the gentlemen who gave the moose up and thank them with a tastey beverage of their choice.
    IM with him.................thats awesome fellas and congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by SEEBLAZE View Post
    Zeba34 & AFhunter,

Yes I would buy those guys a bottle each of their choice and hook them up with some meat. During that 6 hour walk we saw 9 cows and 3 bulls. Of course we saw the other 2 bulls after we shot the one in the pic above post, but dicided to let them walk. Especially concidering we we not sure we would be able to get the 4 wheelers in where we shot our moose. And figured for a long, long pack out. But we did get very lucky and got the wheelers in there, thanks to the winches and a little dedication. We never saw the Ford with the three guys in it again, but I only hope that in the future I can return the favor to another hunter. My hat is off and beer glass is full (well not right now because it's 0930) but you know what I mean to those guys in that truck.

Good hunting ethics are priceless,
    Chris
    Great story, nice bull and thanks for sharing. And a special thanks to those guys - nice to hear about hunters helping each other out.