Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenai wildlife images...

Default Kenai wildlife images...

The wife and I made a weekend trip up to the Kenai in May. Below are some of the images..

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

And a few more...

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

And a few more...

Awsome pictures thank you for sharing

Wow! That close-up of the puffin in flight is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Wow! That close-up of the puffin in flight is awesome!
    x2 - Unbelievable pic of the puffin. The colors in the water are amazing.

I am just learning how to work all the options on my camera, so I have a question. The wings on the puffin are a little bit blurred. Can that be corrected by speeding up the shutter speed? I.E. Having it open and close at a faster rate?

All pics are unbelievable!!!
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Thanks guys. I am glad to be able to share some images with you. Feel like a bum seeing images here, but never sharing. Just learned how to post the images.

JMG,

As for the wings being blurry, a faster shutter speed would help freeze them (if enough light is available). But sometimes a little blur to show motion is desirable. Depends on the effect you are trying to get. To be honest, he just came towards the boat and I got him the best I could. So the blur was not really thought out in this case. But I like the way it came out.

Very nice shots indeed!

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

Amazing wildlife photos indeed, the photos are well thought out and the composition is remarkable ! Good Job !!

Thanks for the kind words. Any criticism appreciated as well. I am a beginner and hoping to improve. Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Thanks for the kind words. Any criticism appreciated as well. I am a beginner and hoping to improve. Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.
    Sure, give me your camera and your skills and step away from photography!

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Thanks guys. I am glad to be able to share some images with you. Feel like a bum seeing images here, but never sharing. Just learned how to post the images.

JMG,

As for the wings being blurry, a faster shutter speed would help freeze them (if enough light is available). But sometimes a little blur to show motion is desirable. Depends on the effect you are trying to get. To be honest, he just came towards the boat and I got him the best I could. So the blur was not really thought out in this case. But I like the way it came out.
    It's interesting that the wings have a little blur, but the body is very crisp. I really like it.

Out of curiosity, did you shoot these in RAW? I have a number of RAW photos that I am in the process of developing and just can't quite seem to get happy with them. Or sometimes they look good in RAW, but then when I open them in a different program such as Elements or even Kodak EasyShare, they are just not quite what I thought. I guess continual tinkering with them is what it's about.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

RAW verses JPG

stick with JPG you will have far less to worry about,

I have yet to see any difference in quality.

I have used both methods and I much prefer *.jpg

why ? becuase I am only interested in that final image. Will that image sell ?

People that purchase our images, DO NOT CARE about all the technical bs.

The final image is all that is important !! How you got there is not what the (customers) people are interested in.

SHUTTER SPEEDS: If an object is moving left to right, or right to left from your point of view, then a shutter speed of 1/250 will stop most anything.

BUT,.. .. if that object is moving towards you, or away from you, then you need at least 1/500 or higher to stop that. motion.

For all practical purposes 125 / 250 will be fast enough for you to stop the action. (wildlife)

Now if we are talking about a bullet coming out of a rifle or going into a baloon, well then you need 1/5000 of a second or faster to stop that action.

But for normal everyday action out there, 1/250 will or should stop anything in its tracks.

But as one member stated, some motion is preferable, and that can be anywhere from 1/30 of a second - 1/125 of a second. Depending on how much blur you want.

NO one as of yet has spoken about 'panning'. Moving the camera to follow the motion of the object. To impart motion you should have your camera on a tripod to enchance this effect, OR, Zooming while exposing at a slow shutter speed will give you amazing results !!

There are many camera techniques that most are not aware of. Practice practice is all that is needed.. and of course (keep & take notes).

One thing I notice about digital that I do not like, is that you cannot make use of the smaller aperatures, i.e. F-32 F 45 F 64.

I strive for maximum depth of field, It also affords me the option of choosing a long exposure in daylight @ 100 ISO.

Those F-stops (medium format) will produce razor sharp images that have a 3d effect to them, The detail is unsurpassed !!

Get away from the habit of using your lens fully open, i.e. F 1.8 F 2.8(etc).

Don't worry about blurring the background, this will happen at small aperatures also.

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    Out of curiosity, did you shoot these in RAW? .
    Yes, they are RAW. That is all I shoot since learning more about how to process them. I got PSE 6.0 and a book by Scott Kelby "Photoshop Elements 6.0 for Digital Photographers". You can get it at Amazon. Best money I ever spent. I was unsure about RAW when I got my first dslr last November. Then Jim Strutz, a forum member, gave me some good info on how to process RAW images and a skinny on the workflow. After a few months of tinkering, I had it under control. But it is surely a trial and error thing. For me anyway. I can tell you this, it is much simpler than it first appears. I was making it way more complicated than I should have in hind sight.

Below is a link to the book on Amazon. Read the reviews for more insights. Also, below the book, you see where Amazon sells the book with Elements 6.0 for $112. That would be money well spent.

http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Elem...6457127&sr=8-2

I prefer raw, primarily because if you don't nail the exposure or color balance, you have more information to work with. For instance, there is often a stop or so of white headroom that can get totally blown out in a JPG, but by shooting raw you can recover it and save the image. If you make sure you get the exposure right every time there is less reason to shoot raw, but if you are in a hurry that might not be possible. A few high end wedding photographers shoot in JPG with good results, but 98% of them use raw because they know that many times it will save an image.

Raw provides a wider exposure capture, and this is useful for more than recovering an exposure error. For instance, if you are shooting a scene with an extreme range of lights & darks, the JPG will usually either blow out the whites, black out the shadows, or both. With raw, you can map most of these areas back into a printable range if needed. A lot of times it doesn't matter, but sometimes it does. Raw is used for the few times when you really need it.

The extra exposure latitude in raw will also allow you to use one exposure for an HDR type effect without having to shoot several images at different exposures.

Also, with raw you never have to worry about setting the color balance before shooting.

Several keys to converting raw images: 1) Buy a monitor calibration device and use it. You can not trust your eyes or your monitor. 2) Be consistent in your color space. If you print or display images in standard sRGB color space, make sure your raw converter is outputting in sRGB. Adobe RGB and others may have a wider color gamut, but if you are printing and displaying in sRGB, everything will look muddy. 3) use the histogram on your converter and editing programs. Don't trust your eyes or your monitor to tell you the truth. Most images look best if the histogram has information bleeding ever so slightly into the left and white sides of the histogram.

Dang Dan, you might as well just move up here, it might be more cost effective. HA!

Great shots and glad to see that you are doing well with the image processing. It's work no doubt but well worth the time and education. Nice job!

Looking forward to seeing more!
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

One more thing ...Love the Puffin!
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

Thanks Eddie. I always appreciate your input.

Default awesome

very cool pics!

So? Did the eagle kick the crap out of the magpie??

Thanks for sharing Dan. Awesome pics as usual.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast