Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Reputation System Now In Place

Default Reputation System Now In Place

We have just activated the Reputation System that comes with vBulletin, our forum software.

The point of this is to provide users a way to respond to good posts or bad. This allows the community to commend especially useful posts and diss the unlovely. We intend to build a system of increasing user privilege into the forums. At some point, for example, some forums will only be accessible by people of high enough reputation.

You'll see a person's reputation in a green box in the upper right corner of each post. Here is mine, for example:

You can see reputation level by hovering over the green square. Here are the reputation levels as they now stand. Yeah, I know. They're a bit dorky. They come out of the box this way:

User is infamous around these parts -150
    User can only hope to improve -50
    User has a little shameless behavior in the past -10
    User is an unknown quantity at this point 0
    User is on a distinguished road +10
    User will become famous soon enough +50
    User has a spectacular aura about +150
    User is a jewel in the rough +250
    User is just really nice +350
    User is a glorious beacon of light +450
    User is a name known to all +550
    User is a splendid one to behold +650
    User has much to be proud of +1000
    User has a brilliant future +1500
    User has a reputation beyond repute +2000

Everyone with 10 posts or more and a reputation of 10 or more can add reputation for another. To do this, click this icon in the upper right corner of the post:

A small box will pop up (be sure to enable popups) and you can add reputation. When the system is complete, members with high enough reputation will be able to ding others' reputation. Currently only props can be given.

UNFORTUNATELY, because we did not have a reputation system built into the original forums, most of you that came from those forums have a reputation of zero. If that's you, you will not be able to hit another person's reputation. Send me a PM and we'll hit your reputation and bring you to a 10, which is where everyone starts.

When you start out, you can award + 1 point per hit. However:

1. Admin / mods get 10 points per hit.
    2. Every 365 days you get 1 more point in your reputation power
    3. Every 1000 posts you get 1 more point in your reputation power
    4. For every 100 points of reputation, you get 1 more point of reputation power
    5. You must have 10 posts to hit a person's reputation
    6. You must have 10 reputation points to hit
    7. You can only give 10 reputation clicks in 24 hours
    8. You must hit 20 others before you can hit the same person again. Admin is exempt from this rule.

For example, a person with 2 years on the forums and 4,001 posts and a reputation of 523 is able to give a hit of 2+4+5=11 points!

You can see the recent hits on your reputation in your user CP.

As I said in the beginning, our intention is to begin adding privilege with increased reputation. More on that later.

That's a brief rundown on the new system. It has its good points and not so good, but we're going to give it a try. I hope we find it very helpful as a community.

David
    Last edited by Webmaster; 11-03-2008 at 09:10. Reason: Corrected information

Is the system blind or can you see who dings your reputation?

Got it.

seeing the green block...not the Icon....how does a person enable popups?

Quote Originally Posted by AVALANCHE View Post
    Got it.

seeing the green block...not the Icon....how does a person enable popups?
    You are not the only one.... I can see the reputation icon on my own posts but not anyone elses.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    You are not the only one.... I can see the reputation icon on my own posts but not anyone elses.

Lujon...I can see your green box I get the pop up that tells me Lujon is on a distinguished road but I don't see the Icon so I can give you a point for yet another intelligent post

Exclamation Scales of Justice

Look in the upper right hand corner of each post. In the blue at the top of the window, next to the post number, you should see "scales of justice." Click that and you'll get the popup.

If you DON'T see that let me know.

David

Quote Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
    Look in the upper right hand corner of each post. In the blue at the top of the window, next to the post number, you should see "scales of justice." Click that and you'll get the popup.

If you DON'T see that let me know.

David
    I see the post number and the triangle "report this post" but justice is nowhere to be found

I can only see it on my own posts. All posts from other users are blank, showing only the post number and the .

Avalanche you beat me too it and worded it better too <grin>

OK...the scales of justice show up now. Maybe it just took a little time to propogate.

I will see if I can give you a and Lujon a pt.

Default Interesting

This should be interesting. I guess I better stop lurking and post more. I just never understood posting unless it was useful information
    "Give someone a fish and you will feed them for a day. Show someone how to fish and they will just steal your fishing hole and catch more fish then you. Screw them, let them eat chicken!!"

I can only see it on my own posts. All posts from other users are blank, showing only the post number and the .

Avalanche you beat me too it and worded it better too <grin>
    Same for me I can see it in my own post ohhh I didn't try to see if I could give myself a Point!

Quote Originally Posted by AVALANCHE View Post
    Same for me I can see it in my own post ohhh I didn't try to see if I could give myself a Point!
    I did, and no you can't

I did, and no you can't
    Well, at least that part is working as it should!

So, seems like we can see the scales of justice on our own posts, we can see the boxes but....no scales of justice on other peoples posts.

Default Logged off....

And logged back in and I still don't see scales of justice Icon on others post.

Lightbulb Try it now

Members should now see the "scales of justice". There are many interrelated "switches" in the forum controls. The "use reputation" on/off switch was not turned on in the member usergroup.

Please post problems here....I want this to work well!

Thanks....David

Quote Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
    Members should now see the "scales of justice". There are many interrelated "switches" in the forum controls. The "use reputation" on/off switch was not turned on in the member usergroup.

Please post problems here....I want this to work well!

Thanks....David
    Works now David......
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Default Negative reputation

I found out this morning that we can selectively allow users to subtract reputation. So, for now, only moderators can subtract from reputation.

As the system develops, it will become possible for members of higher ranking groups to subtract from reputation. There's quite a bit of work to do before we get there.

I edited the opening post in this thread to reflect this.

David

So for the moment they are more The Scales of "Commendation" rather than The Scales of "Justice"

I have been taking the time to give approval on good posts since the only way that this is going to work is if we actually use it!

Default Yeah...

Yeah...that's right....well said....you can push on one side of the scales, but not the other. So far. Next step is to begin developing a ladder of additional privileges.

Thanks for using the system....as we see that it is working correctly, I'll make a system-wide announcement.

David

So for the moment they are more The Scales of "Commendation" rather than The Scales of "Justice"

I have been taking the time to give approval on good posts since the only way that this is going to work is if we actually use it!

Hopefully this system won't be abused by folks just because they disagree with content of a post - as opposed to whether or not the post is good debate or not. One can only hope.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast