Thread: Blacktail Call and Wait time

Question Blacktail Call and Wait time

Judging by the recent threads, it's rut time! Hiked around all weekend and managed to see a few forkies. Not having much luck other than does responding to the call.

Just curious how long other people wait once they've tweeted on the call.

I have a hard time sitting still more than about 10 minutes.

Default Try still hunting.

I really like to still hunt when I'm deer hunting. When you get into the fresh sign, just creep and peek. Take a few steps and look for any signs of movement. You may just catch the twitch of an ear or an eye looking at you. I learned quite a bit about deer hunting from a good friend of mine. When he said still hunting at first I thought he meant just that stay in one spot, until he explained it to me. I usually don't wait ten minutes to repeat a bleet if calling. My way of thinking about a bleet is the fawn is calling to it's mother and I can't imagine that they are very patient.

Quote Originally Posted by weserve View Post
    I really like to still hunt when I'm deer hunting. When you get into the fresh sign, just creep and peek. Take a few steps and look for any signs of movement. You may just catch the twitch of an ear or an eye looking at you. I learned quite a bit about deer hunting from a good friend of mine. When he said still hunting at first I thought he meant just that stay in one spot, until he explained it to me. I usually don't wait ten minutes to repeat a bleet if calling. My way of thinking about a bleet is the fawn is calling to it's mother and I can't imagine that they are very patient.
    That's usually my MO too, but this past weekend I tried waiting just a few minutes longer. Had a doe come in down wind of me about 11 minutes into calling a larger muskeg. Later on I was still hunting some big timber and got into some little pocket muskegs. I called and waited about 6 - 7 minutes and then got up and hiked up to the next little muskeg above me. It was upwind of me and there was a forkie coming in that I busted.

I've heard of guys waiting 30 minutes or more, but I couldn't cover near the ground if I waited that long each time.

Default Calling Deer

Calling deer on Montague Island one day and decided to stop and eat my lunch. I leaned up against a tree and leaned my rifle against very large tree next to me. I'm eating and kind of forgot about calling when I hear the brush snap behind me. I look around the tree and two deer are approaching. I was busy trying to figure out how to get my rifle without spooking the deer and of course wouldn't you know they busted me.

Default 10 min

I'll call in a spot for 5 or 10 minutes. I'm definately more active on the call during the first 5 minutes then a little slower and more sporadic for that last few minutes. I had a little forkie come charging out right away this weekend, while I was trying to get him to come out of the brush after about 10 minutes I had a real toad come charging out of the woods and chase the young buck away. Unfortunately both deer dissappeared. The big guy was rutting pretty heavy his neck made his head look tiny. I'd say most of my deer come in quickly but I've had enough sneak in after 10 minutes or so that I stick around for a bit when I'm calling.

Default yesterday

Dana called this meat buck up yesterday .... along with Jason they snuck into a muskeg and took up a hiddyhole .... Dana blew the call each series and waited 2 to 3 minutes between each .... a few minutes after the 3rd series this little buck stuck his face out of the brush to see what was up .... then the 44 mag spoke.

I have had bucks come into the call as much as 30 minutes after starting the call.

Over the years some have come running ... some just walking ... some real sneaky ... like when you give up and move one busts out of the brush 20 yards away you didn't even know was there.

Default Calling Sequence

What type of call sequence do you use? Long blast? Short notes? Had no deer come to the call last week but did end up getting a few in clearcuts. Heading back down to my place on POW THursday.

Talking hey jonnie

maybe we should start a thread on which island has the smallest (BUT tastiest) bucks also?
    Just guessing, but that deer looks like he'd go about 11 or 12 B&C. just kidding; I've shot smaller myself and yes they taste just as good as a deer with more impressive headgear.
    Gary

Default rattlin and grunt tubes???

Just was wondering if anyone has rattled up a blacktail or had any success using a grunt tube??? My great late friend, Toby, said he had rattled up a buck on Douglas. Just wondering what others have had success with???

Good huntin'
    better stock up on ammo and guns--the dems are in the majority.

I've heard rattling can yield success - I've heard the key is to setup with a cliff or somthing of that sort to your back however...

Quote Originally Posted by rosscoak View Post
    Just was wondering if anyone has rattled up a blacktail or had any success using a grunt tube??? My great late friend, Toby, said he had rattled up a buck on Douglas. Just wondering what others have had success with???

Good huntin'
    better stock up on ammo and guns--the dems are in the majority.
    We've had fair results with both rattling and grunting. We haven't found it to work all the time, but it is just another hunting tool we try when all else fails.

Default Rattling

Ross,
    I'm fairly convinced that Toby could find deer not matter what method, he was in a catagory all his own. I have heard of people rattling in deer. I do know that a grunt is sometimes good to get a stuborn buck to come out of the brush when the whistle isn't quite enough.

Rattling will work to some degree. I saw I work once and only once.

Now I've just trashed the brush next to some rubs and had a buck take a peek at what was going on.

Default Rattling

I had a friend of Grandfathers who worked out on Montague when they were logging it. He swore by rattling and told me that it worked particularly well right before and during the rut. I have never tried it, but I'm going to invest in one of those rattle bags

Question How about the snowline

Is it better to hunt this time of year at the snowline or below it? (Or, I suppose, above it?)

Is there a difference to where the big bucks go - above or below the snowline?

I know when it gets really deep, they often head for shore, but I'm talking about 3-4 inches on the ground.

Cool mt snow

Pertaining to Prince of Wales Island ... in the mountainous part of the Island

It takes feet of snow to drive the Mountain Bucks. There are plenty of Does that stay high up in as deep as snow they can to keep the Bucks happy.

I think it is mother natures way to make sure the gene pool gets spread ..... to give some Bucks the wonder lust and head for the lowland Does. Even swim the bay to the other side when there are Does on this side ....

Today there is not allot of snow but that could change tonight. The snow line has been up and down like a yoyo ....

I like to hunt high up and low down ....

I have tried rattling but have never had it work ... I rattled in a Bear a couple weeks ago ....

Default Ditto

Up high or down low.......

The neither regions of the mountian have em too but usually its a crap shoot.

I like to commit to the hike or just stay low. Your always at an advantage to get the upper hand and have some visablity, expecially when animals are moving durring the rut.

I'll be heading strait up on Saterday......I wasted two hunting days trying to corner all those wandering lowland bucks.

Best wishes.......BTW.....I use a fawn bleat and only wait for maybe 10 minutes and move on.

Default can bleat

I've used the "doe in a can" bleat call on Kodiak with some sucess. If nothing else, it'll make every deer within hearing stand up & look around (useful when they are bedded in high grass).
    Gary