Thread: Do you like your shrimp?

Default Do you like your shrimp?

If you like spot shrimp you had better start getting involved in the PROPOSALS process. Commercial fisherman or individuals that will benefit from a commercial Spot shrimp fishery write almost all the proposals at this point.

Anyone can write a proposal, so if we are going to preserve our sport spot shrimp fishery for future generation we all need to get involved.
    The Sport shrimp fisheries has a tremendous impact on the spot shrimp resource, imagine the added commercial impact!

If you like pulling bags of shrimp from your freezer in January I would suggest submitting a proposal now. Go on line and read the current batch of proposal, sport shimpers are vastly outnumbered.

Hay, what else do we have to do this winter? Through the proposal process lets show the Alaska department of fisheries how we feel about this resource and our concerns if a commercial fishery is allowed to participate.

I think there should be a moratorium on any commercial Spot shrimp fishery in PWS unless the Alaska Deportment of Fisheries can prove there is a need to harvest more then what the current sport fishery can.

CALL FOR PROPOSALS:
    http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/fishinfo/meetinfo/fcall.php

Proposal Forms:
    http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/bbs/forms/propform.php

Prince William Sound Proposals:
    http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/fishinfo/meetinfo/2008-2009/propbook/pws_proposals2.pdf
    Start at Proposal 44 and read onů

If we do nothing, we'll have nothing!
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Are you aware that the sport fishery in PWS in its current form is the "new" fishery? There was a pot fishery for spot shrimp in PWS for a long time prior to the oil spill. My parents used to run 150 or so pots out there and did so along with many others without harming the resource. Putting this in terms of protecting the resource for future generations ignores the fact that a commercial fishery was supported out there for a long time without any adverse effect on the resource.

PWS can and should support the return of a limited commercial harvest.

Good point Brian. A balance should be the objective which puts the health of the fishery first. So we need to keep supporting annual research to make sure the shrimp populations stay healthy and that we don't suddenly find ourselves without a sport shrimp fishery. I've been shifting much of my effort towards trying to get more funding support in research, studies, surveys, etc.

I would suggest reading this report:
    http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/pubs/afrb/vol3_n1/kmkrv3n1.pdf

A tagging study performed on the 80s determined the spot shrimp have a life cycle twice as long as similar species in warmer waters. What this means is, it takes twice as lone for the species to recover.
    About the time the study was complete overharvisting had already occurred by 1987 and the fishery was closed on 1992.
    A sport shrimp fishery may be the only way to maintain a healthy stainable population of Spot shrimp Pandalus platyceros.

Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default Protect your rights to shrimp

If you like to shrimp in PWS,I urge you to read the proposals that are submitted for discussion. They start at #44 in Breausaws post. I feel that comm fish and sport fish can co-exist, but some of the proposals sure seem lopsided. One proposal is to go back to managing as they did in the 80s, but look at the data, and even a blind man can see that it was exploited.They totally had too many boats taking too many shrimp. Some want to shorten the sport season,and limit you to areas.There is a meeting on these proposals tonight at the Millinium at 6:30. You may want to have some input.