Thread: Ram pics

Smile Ram pics

When I seen this guy I just couldn't let him get away. Any more pics of rams out there?

Smile Ram

You gotcha self a nice trophy there Bud. Congratulations

congrats on a Beautiful Ram.

Thumbs up

Beautiful Ram, congrats, I make him out to be 9 1/2 yrs?

I'd go higher than 9 1/2 years of age on that guy, I am guessing 10 1/2 to 11.

Default Beautiful Animal

454 Casull where did you shoot that nice ram. I have always wanted to go on a sheep hunt, but as you can tell from picture, I need to lose some weight first. I would like to go on a hunt in the Brooks Range some day. I also have a real need to shoot a mountain goat, that is #1 on my list of wanted animals. Once again congrats!!!

Smile Most prized trophy

454 Casull - congradulations ! How far away was the ram when you first spotted him ?

Default Nice!!

Beautiful picture!!! But you can't post a pic like that and not share that story that goes along with it Please share some of the details that go along with that great trophy....

great ram!!

What kind of pack is that in the pick and how did you like it?? How many days worth of gear did you pack in it and did you get your whole sheep out in it???
    Thanks
    Jason

Default 10 1/2

I don't have time to elaborate on the story right now because I have to go to work in about five minutes but I can tell you he is 10 1/2 years old. My wife shot a 9 1/2 year old that was with him. The packs are Eberlestock. My wife and I packed two whole sheep in two Eberlestock packs for about five miles to our spike camp. Mine was a J104 and wifes was a J105. I don't have mine anymore. I'm not that crazy about them. They are built pretty tough but there are just a lot better packs out there for a 8 to 10 day sheep hunt. Even expanded with the spike duffle on, they are to small to pack a whole sheep and 10 days worth of food and gear. I will stick to my Dana Astraplane for now. To change the subject, the rams were about 2 miles away up a glacier when I first spotted them. It was an all day stalk. I got within 100 yards late in the evening. As far as where we got them, I can't quite recall...............................! LOL

Default Heres one for you...2008 Brooks Ram

Smile Kahahawai

That is a geat ram and a great picture! Congratulations. What great mass. Rams like that get my blood pumping.

Default Beautiful ram.

Kahahawai,
    A great ram like that deserves its own thread and a nice narrative. Way to go! Can't wait to read it.

Default The Ram

My son and I watched a group of several rams from over a mile away with this spotter for hours and very high in the crags, it was immpossible to go after them without risking our lives (I'm not a rock climber nor did I have rappelling gear) and we didn't see this ram, he just appeared out of no where (like a ghost) behind the small band we were watching, it was getting late, but our patience paid off because the Rams were actually moving down to feed in our direction, as they moved down we moved higher, but we were careful of the wind not to give us away. I had to shoot him at 273 yards, I wanted to get a little closer, but my son wanted to watch the impact shot, so he stood up and got busted by a younger ram. I was laying on my stomach in the prone position, and it was "now or Never!" shooting downward. As you can see in the pic, I shot him quartering away, toward the back on the left, and exiting right behind the right shoulder. His bases were shy of 14" and 37.5" on the long side. F&G aged him between 10 1/2-11 years old, his horn growth started slowing down, it was only 3/8 inch in his last year. I liked his mass and he did stand out amongst the others. A fun hunt nonetheless.

Somebody has pursued this Ram in the previous year or two, he had a bullet hole in his left ear that healed quite well that my Taxidermist pointed out to me.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Would this be considered a broomed horn?

Default Broomed???

The close horn appeared to be "well worn", but not broomed or broken.
    Beautiful trophy, carries weight all the way out.

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Smile

those are all some very nice rams, congrats.

Default Thanks for the story.

Thanks. Its always nice to read how it all went down!

Default Nice rams

Those are some nice rams all around guys. Good job.