Thread: Who does Magna Porting

Default Who does Magna Porting

I have a Rem. Mod. 7 in 7mm-08. I want to have it magna ported so that my 8 yr. old daughter can shoot it.

Does any body in the Fairbanks area provide this service? If not, what about Anchorage? If not, then where do I send it?

Thanks for the help.

Jdub

Default Holes

Quote Originally Posted by jdub View Post
    I have a Rem. Mod. 7 in 7mm-08. I want to have it magna ported so that my 8 yr. old daughter can shoot it.

Does any body in the Fairbanks area provide this service? If not, what about Anchorage? If not, then where do I send it?

Thanks for the help.

Jdub
    Look up Mag-Na-Port on the web. They have a good web page and a helpful person on the phone when you call. You just mail them your barreled action and a check for the work and in 3 weeks it's back. It works great and really isn't even noticeable. EXCEPT when you shoot, the recoil reduction is amazing without an unneccessary amount of excess noise.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Yup, magnaport.com are the only ones who magna port. You can get a local smith to do a muzzle brake if you want to go that route though. I had my 325 Kimber mag-na-ported to cut the muzzle jump and it worked like a champ. Magnaport does not claim a large reduction in recoil (15%) if I recall, but, it definitely tamed my jumpy light kimber like is was supposed to.

Gary Junk at Arctic Gun Works in Fairbanks does Porting also. Its a wee bit different than magnaporting but I will tell you it works as described. I had a 6lb 6 oz Tikka T3 Lite in 300WM that with hot loads was more than a bit jumpy at the bench. Gary Ported it for me and it tamed it unbelievably. It was louder (obviously) which I didn't like, but it did to the rifle what I wanted it to do, tamed the muzzle jump and recoil.

Thumbs up Magnaporting ....

magnaport.com is the address, and they are the ones.

I've had several rifles magnaported, and, as AlaskaCub says, muzzle jump is virtually eliminated. For the first time, I'm having a handgun (329 PD) magnaported. I should have magnaported my 396 Mountain Lite years ago.

Porting is not the same as magnaporting.

I've had two rifles with muzzle brakes, and I dislike them. Even with earmuff hearing protection, braked rifles are visciously loud. With ports 360 degrees around the muzzle, don't try to shoot a braked rifle from prone. The dirt/debris cloud thrown up is usually overwhelming. One rifle, I sold; the other, I removed the brake and sent it to magnaport. And now I'm happy.

And magnaporting does not increase the decibel level.

Good luck on your project.
    Last edited by Rick; 11-02-2008 at 23:58. Reason: forgot

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Magnaport does not claim a large reduction in recoil (15%) if I recall, but, it definitely tamed my jumpy light kimber like is was supposed to.
    Shooting side by side with an unported Ruger #1 in 30-06, my Magnaported Ruger #1 in 375 H&H has a lot less muzzle jump both offhand and from the bench. In fact, it's the only 375 I've owned or shot that allows you to see bullet impact through the scope. You sure can't do that with any other #1 I own, even the 30-06.

Magnaporting is a great way to tame muzzle jump. I bought the wife a Remington Alaskan TI in 270 WSM and it jumped like crazy, I had a hard time shooting it. I sent it in and got it back fast great company, and it shoots like a different rifle, The wife loves her new rifle now. Send it to them you will not regret it. I also noticed no increase in the sound of the muzzle blast either.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Default Magnaport

I have talked to them myself and will be sending my long gun to them (300wm with a heavy barrel) they claim to get up to 45% reduction in jump but they do or will tell you that it will be louder. Good luck T

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Before you go having holes or slots cut in the barrel, which make it louder, consider putting together reduced loads for your daughter. With lighter bullets and a tad less velocity she should have no problem with an unported 7-08.

Also if the stock is adult length, cut it down to fit her. A properly fitting stock is much more important to having her shoot the rifle properly than reduced loads.

Talking Thanks for the imput.

Thanks everyone for the imput.

Unfortunately, I am not set up for reloading yet. I like the reduced load approach, but cannot go that route yet. I have already cut the stock down as much as I can with out making it completely useless to all other shooters. I mean, she is only going to be 8 for so long----I hope. I have it cut down to a 12" pull.

I will talk with the Magna Port people tomorrow.

thanks again all

Jdub

How about Managed-Recoil Centerfire Ammunition by remington? http://www.remington.com/products/am...ged-Recoil.asp

They claim to reduce recoil by 50% and still maintain hunting performance out to 200 yards. All of this can be had off the shelf. Magnaporting does reduce a lot of muzzle jump, but nowhere near 50% felt recoil. With the money saved, take your little hunter out for ice cream for the next year and buy her some new camo.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Be cautious jdub, kids are more frightened by the blast and noise than they are by the recoil IME. Magnaporting or regular porting , regardless, without hearing protection they are quite a bit louder, somethimg to think about. If it were me with a youngin I would go the managed recoil ammo route, thats what I did with my boy. When he was 8 I bought him a 270 Win, he shot the heck out of them Remington Managed Recoil rounds for a while and then I slipped him into some regular loads without telling him and he never even noticed it. Good idea with the youngins to double up on hearing protection too so they dont notice the blast and then work them into just one type of muffs or plugs over time. Good luck either way man, its awesome to see your child doing what you love to do, twas a proud day for me. Then we had the bear hunting debacle on his first black bear last year (at age 10) and that was priceless!

Default Managed Recoil 7mm-08

Hey that is cool. I did not realize that they made managed recoil for the 7mm-08. I have bought it for the 308, but have never seen it for the 7mm08. I got my boy started with the 308 MR and he did great with that.

Isn't it amazing how you ask one question and get all sorts of other answers to questions that you did not even know that you should be asking?

Jdub