Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fairbanks AR parts

Default Fairbanks AR parts

I just picked up an AR stripped lower and was wondering if anyone in Fairbanks carries parts for it. Ive been looking online but would rather buy local. I got the last stripped lower Ft. Wain. sports store had. Cant wait to get this thing built. Hillbilly

Default AR -stuff

Far North Tactical has some stuff and will help you put it together.

You might want something beyond the basic then you need to wait
    until Nov 4th when Protec opens up again.

I don't know why they are closed but they are.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post
    Far North Tactical has some stuff and will help you put it together.

You might want something beyond the basic then you need to wait
    until Nov 4th when Protec opens up again.

I don't know why they are closed but they are.

Sincerely,

Thomas
    Where are these guys located?

Default Far North

Corner of College and Illinois

Default Thanks

I think Im going with a kit from Del-Ton. I would love to buy local but im sure prices wont be cheap. Del-ton has really great prices and gret reveiws.

Default Protec

Protec is on VanHorn right next to Debs Cafe.(474-3400) Bill has everything you need to build an AR including the technical assistance. Bill has been in Bali doing some competitive shooting. Great folks to deal with.

Randy

thanks guys

Default Pro Tec Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by H_I_L_L_B_I_L_L_Y View Post
    I just picked up an AR stripped lower and was wondering if anyone in Fairbanks carries parts for it. Ive been looking online but would rather buy local. I got the last stripped lower Ft. Wain. sports store had. Cant wait to get this thing built. Hillbilly
    Pro Tec has been closed. Bill was in Bali Indonesia shooting the IPSC World Championships. He did well. If you ever have seen him shoot, he knows his stuff.

He was open today (Sunday) for a couple of hours. Guys were buying up a ton of his AR rifles and lowers. He told me by tuesday or wed. he may not have any black rifles left. Everything is on a 12 to 20 week backorder.

Van Horn & Industrial Ave. 474-3400. He said he'll be back to regular hours Monday (today) 5pm to 9pm.

if you are looking for anything for a good price far north tactical is the place to go. yes there prices are really cheap but not because they are knock offs. far north has memberships with many different companies and sells their products at such a low price because there is no reason for them to raise their prices 4, 5, or even 6 times the amount they have to pay the companies they have dealerships with like most other businesses. The differences between far north and most other stores are the owners dont rely on what the store makes as their main income. They have other jobs so they can have low prices.
    all the products i have bought from far north have satisfied me completely and i will remain a customer there. one thing that is the most unique about far north tactical that other places do NOT have is what they call a Wish List. if you walk in the store and do not see it on the shelves or if it is being reordered, far north will find it for you for a good price and order it for you as long as you can legally own it. THAT is my favorite part of the store

Default Pro Tec Alaska

Fellow workers at my day job suggested I read this forum as I was being talked about.
    Thanks for all the kind remarks.
    No need to throw around rumors with my name in the same thread. There is enough room in Fairbanks for half a dozen other gun shops. Guns, hunting and competition are my passion. I appriciate all of you who have visited my shop. I have found many new friends the past 4 1/2 years.

Good Shooting & stay in touch with your trigger.
    Bill Filiaga
    Owner Pro Tec Alaska

Default Wow

didnt thint asking a question about AR parts would get heated. I will checkout both stores and decide for myself. Thanks for the info. Hillbilly

Default Steve and the DPMS

I think that all of the tactical shops are pretty good around Fairbanks.
    I am going to research this Circle J shop before further support.

I would like to state that Steve Smyth at Guns and Ammo has always given me the best deals; and I have gone out of my way to support him.

In talking with Steve, he brought it to my attention that he had to pay federal tax on the Lowers and that he might make $5 per lower receiver.
    I told him he should probably raise his prices but of course he refused.
    His goal is not to make a million bucks but to instead promote and preserve the hunting and shooting tradition that made our country great.

He is sold out of the lowers and I can tell you that it will get more and more difficult to find them. He has given me the best deals and he is of the most noble character. I wanted to state that in no way does he follow any mercenary practices and he supports all legal gun owners and gun shops in the state.

He sells a good product at a great price.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Thumbs up tactical stores

far north tactical rocks! i've been living here in fairbanks for 15+ years and havent seen as many good deals as they have any where else. grant it that there is a firearm scare in america right now and prices all over are jumping but there prices cannot be beat locally. i bought steel ak mags and a 75rnd drum and havent had one complaint about price or quality, i can complain about the few other shops around town but cannot say anything bad about far north tactical. its worth a shot to go and check them out. they had what i was looking for and the supplier to get anything else ive asked about.

Exclamation Farnorth...Goes way beyond the sale!!

Being rather new to the whole AR thing, I was pleasantly pleased with Farnorth Tactical. I was able to get my questions answered, in a way I could understand, and was not made to feel like I should have already known it. The information gained over a few visits led to a purchase of an AR Kit. I was able to get a lower locally, at the referral from Farnorth.
    With the help of websites, and a few more questions answered from the Farnorth people, I am the proud owner of one fine AR15. If you are interested in learning about the AR, and dont know everything already....stop by and check out the friendly knowledgeable folks at Farnorth. You will not regret it. Real people, real value, for real Alaskans. Dan.

Default dident want to work on ak's

work on ak47's???? since when??? lol, i have never heard anyone tell me about taking there ak to the shop.....ever

I guess my question is: Who has any uppers, lowers, or whole AR's left in the Fairbanks area? When will there be some available? Thanks a ton. This is turning into a fun thread.

TK

On my way home last night I hit the Gun Stores, Pro Tec had a small selection mostly Colts and a LWRC. Sentry in North Pole had one bushy on the wall.

Hey FarNorth, if you could pm me the stats on your ar kits i might be getting a few off you. I love building them from the receiver up but thats getting too expensive lately. Dont get me wrong, I love your store and have gotten some quality stuff there, but on a large purchase or several, i want to know im getting my money's worth.

Default for the record

when i want advice on guns (yes even me) i go to steve also, he is rough, but allmost allways right, i bought a 300.win mag and scope(far north tac) and took it to steve to have it mounted, he did all the work and gave me a deal on rings (mine dident work had to buy his) he got it perfect then gave me advice about using it in the cold (im from anchorage been here 6 mon only) he knows i own far north tac but still treated me like i could learn a thing or two (which i can) i would (and do) send anyone to him knowing there at least gonna be treated honestly, even though i bought the gun somewhere else and the scope he treated my gun like his own, that speaks alot in my mind

see my post below for specs on our kits
    if you own 223 ammo (most do) you will not run into problems
    our kits are 5.56
    The cartridge casings for both calibers have basically the same length and exterior dimensions.
    The 5.56 round, loaded to Military Specification, typically has higher velocity and chamber pressure than the .223 Rem.
    The 5.56 cartridge case may have thicker walls, and a thicker head, for extra strength. This better contains the higher chamber pressure. However, a thicker case reduces powder capacity, which is of concern to the reloader.
    The 5.56mm and .223 Rem chambers are nearly identical. The difference is in the "Leade". Leade is defined as the portion of the barrel directly in front of the chamber where the rifling has been conically removed to allow room for the seated bullet. It is also more commonly known as the throat. Leade in a .223 Rem chamber is usually .085". In a 5.56mm chamber the leade is typically .162", or almost twice as much as in the 223 Rem chamber.
    You can fire .223 Rem cartridges in 5.56mm chambers with this longer leade, but you will generally have a slight loss in accuracy and velocity over firing the .223 round in the chamber with the shorter leade it was designed for.
    Problems may occur when firing the higher-pressure 5.56mm cartridge in a .223 chamber with its much shorter leade. It is generally known that shortening the leade can dramatically increase chamber pressure. In some cases, this higher pressure could result in primer pocket gas leaks, blown cartridge case heads and gun functioning issues.
    thank you for caring my freind im glad we have someone who cares
    im sure steve is far from being stupid, and is very carefull to abide within the law, and he cares very much about his patrons, we should leave him out of this anyway, im sure he is not keen on anyone speaking of his education and such

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast