Thread: ice fishing sled

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default ice fishing sled

gonna build me a custom pull behind ice fishing sled with some old skis i find off craigs list. if anyone has ideas or pics please post them here. seen a couple cool setups on iceshanty but would like more ideas.
    Last edited by akriverrat; 11-02-2008 at 18:48. Reason: added words to be more clear

we just got done building 2 8x12 shacks. one is sitting in the parking lot of lake louise lodge and the other will go to long lake at mile 90 of the glen. I highly reccommend insulating your floor with 1 or 2 inch ridgid foam. also I have a pair of old down hill skis that you are welcome to have for your runners if you like. We used to use skis then we bit the big one and bought some uhmw i got 26 feet of 1/4 inch thick by 5 1/2 inch wide stuff for the shacks for $130 per shack. These shacks are heavy but once they hit snow you can push them around by yourself no problem. We built these shacks to sleep 4 comfortably and 5 if we need to. any questions or problems let me know. we love to fish the hard water. we will be moving one shack to crosswinds around x-mas. These shacks pull very easy behind snowmachines. If i had to guess I would say one weighs around 700 and the "chalet" probably weighs closer to 900. But hey if you make them nice and can stay in them the wife and kids are happy and everyone has a good time right?. Good luck

sweet i have a shack in mind too but will be more of a portable as i dont own a snowmachine or 4 wheeler. i fished long lake a few times last year and froze my ***** off when we spent the night one night. ive thought about rigging a sail to my sled that would work well for getting back across long lake on some days . i think i have a line on some skis for now but ill keep you in mind dube. thanks

Rat,
    Not sure if you have seen the homemade constructed with old skis and a large plastic footlocker? I forgot where I'd seen it, but it's two old ski's mounted to four metal brackets, (one bracket mounted in the front and rear positioned about 1/4 of the way down the ski.) The foot locker was one of the extremely large 4 1/2 ft. long lockable type boxes sold at walmart that would fit a small body inside! Attach a pre manufactured hitch made by a company like Otter or Shappell if you buy a sled or attach eyelets and a thick rope to the front... You can mount an auger mount to the top, a couple bungies for buckets etc... Nice thing about the lockable/closable top is that your gear stays free of snow and ice, but if your after additional room, I would consider a fish tote or other large heavy duty container if a top isn't a concern and buy a flexable cover designed for a jet sled or otter sled at Sportsman's. Good luck!

Default My portable shanty and sled

I don't have a snowmachine or ATV either, so I built a portable shanty that I can load in my truck bed. I've built several shanties of this design back in Wyoming and we'd put skis on the bottom of the shanty to pull it along. Due to the amount of snow on the ice up here (not a problem in windy Wyoming) I built a sled to put my shanty and gear on to hold it above the snow. I put old skis on the bottom and it pulls really nice, plus it makes a handy table by the shanty when I'm fishing. I just used some old cedar boards I picked up free off craigslist and some leftover plywood. I used metal shelf brackets to reinforce the legs. I load the shanty into my truck first and then set the sled on top and throw my gear in around it.

Pursue happiness with diligence.

there are lots like Wyo2AK's posted on iceshanty.com that should give you some ideas

like this one http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing...?topic=76163.0

the "ice shack tips" section is down quite a ways in the forum

Basically you just build a box on skis. My brother built one a few years ago. The problem was pulling it down-hill (so heavy you couldn't stop it). And it took up the whole bed of the truck. Customizing a jet-sled is the way to go....my .02.

Wyo2ak, I like the elevated sled for hauling your shack through deep snow. I have one of those shacks I'd built 6 years ago and it has served me well, but it becomes cumbersome in "thick snow" it's now a greenhouse that doubles for growing tomatoes!

"Cumbersome" barely begins to describe it some days, barleydog. There were a few pre-sled trips that went along the lines of "We're fishing here... because I can't pull this $&@# sled any farther." The shacks work great, but they're certainly not light.

I never thought about the greenhouse idea... I'll have to talk to my wife and see if it fits into her plans for the garden.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Default pics of progress

well i started a couple days ago and this sled is gonna be a beast. i finished the box storage and the tail end will have some crates for storage of a propane tank and im not sure what else yet. i cut some 2x4s to strap down my otter shield and i have to come up with a mount for the power head unless i end up using the other milk crate for that. you can see my rocket launcher - rod holder which will be mounted up in front of the sled. ill add more pictures as i progress.
    Attached Images Attached Images