Thread: anyone do any rabbit hunting this weekend?

Default anyone do any rabbit hunting this weekend?

anyone from this site do any rabbit hunting this weekend? We were going to go toward Glennallen or up toward Cantwell but things didn't work out so we stayed close. I saw allot of people at the knik pull off. Today 4 singles, 2 groups of 2 w/ dogs and of course my son, my father and myself. Yesterday 4 separate hunters plus my father and I. All of those people and not one shot heard. We moved spots and found tracks and trails everywhere some areas looked like little bunny litter boxes and trails that were packed down tight. Now as for getting any of those, no such luck we were in the thick stuff, couldn't swing a gun and if you did get down low and try to get off a shot you would have needed to have the plug out of your gun and use the first four shells for mowing down brush and maybe you could hit him on the fifth. I never even made it that far. As soon as I saw the little silver backed creatures take off I was trying to weave the gun through all the branches. I think I might switch to a shorter barrel, but even then there were no clearings and enough brush to stop any amount of shotgun pellets within 15 feet. I never saw one of them stop, so I wouldn't even try my little 10/22. But that's the only place we could find them. Seems like they have been pushed pretty hard at the first spot. For those that did have success are you pushing through the thickets or skirting the edges?

I was down there Thurs. Didn't even see one. I think the Knik area's been hit harder than usual this year.

I'm going to have to try and find somewhere with a few less people to go.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default its quite the drive

but i worked in delta junction all summer and ill tell you there is alot of hares in the black rapids area and donnely. if you were up there ice fishing paxson or summit be sure to bring the bunny gun.

Thanks for update on Knik. I guess I'll look elsewhere for a place to take my nephew. He has had his .22 for a year now, and we still haven't gotten him on a hare. We might try the Soldotna area soon where I saw tons of hares this summer, but hopefully we can find something closer to home as well.

Default H2Oasis

I was leaving H2Oasis the other day and there was three on the hill next to the road. they just sat there. Is it legal to hunt with a wrist rocket in Anchorage? Valley of the moon park and places off of arctic blvd are full of ferral domestic bunnies.

Default thanks akriverrat

thanks akriverrat. I have heard that quite a few times. I am supposed to fly up to fairbanks and hook up with my friend to do some calling for critters. I will probably be up there at least 3 times since I passed on my ptarmigan hunt up there to save it for an extra critter calling session.

hit the flats with my 5 year old on friday, we jumped three they never stopped, there are more and more tracks of guys hunting with dogs around and that'll tune them bunnies up super super quick for the guys who don't have dogs. bunnies won't stop anymore. need to get away from the popular areas for dog hunting them things and i think you'll find the rabbits more accomadting.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I think a lot of people undervalue small game hunting by restricting the time and distance they will commit to a hunt. For me, living in Anch more time and distance is required to have a good hunt both in terms of success and enjoying the experience. There are plenty of lodges to stay up country that are real close to great hare and ptarmigan hunting. I'm a foot/snowshoe hunter so I have to try areas where the snowgos can't access. BTW, some of the best hare hunting has been in the Black Rapids area. The Knik flats are not even on my radar screen anymore due to the pressure. The hares, due to the pressure, are really skiddish and more nocturnal.
    pak

Default My buddy and I

got our 2 ;imits last Sat at Knik area in about 3 hrs. Took some work but had a blast!!(pun intended)

Ive only been out once at knik this year. It was a few weekends ago. The dog got on one, it was a real runner. Dog chased it forever but it wouldnt circle right. Finally I gave up on that one and the dog. I went to another little honeyhole and put one on the ground and missed 2 others. Then spent an hour trying to find the beagle cause he was no longer on any scent and was not barking. Needless to say its not looking good out at knik.

With this fresh dusting of snow, beagling might be a little more productive.

Default Tried Ft Rich for rabbits last Saturday

Took my son and our bows looking for rabbits in area 426 on Ft Rich. Walked four miles of roads and only saw squirrels and old rabbit tracks. beautiful day but no shots at bunnies.

Default Nothing so far

I have been out a few times now, went to knick and pt mackenzie. We seen alot of tracks but thats about it. Im hoping to get him his first animal this year. Im thinking of trying to find a place alittle farther up north.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    hit the flats with my 5 year old on friday.....
    Where are the "Flats"?

Default Palmer Hay Flats

"The Flats" usually refers to the Palmer Hay Flats, at least that's what my buddies and I call them.