Thread: Model 99 in 30-30 Win.

Default Model 99 in 30-30 Win.

Hi fellas. I am considering a Mod. 99 in 30-30 cal. If any of you are using one of these I would love to hear about it. Are you using handloads? Would you stick to recommended loads intended for Mod 94's and 336's? I'm thinking the Savage should handle hotter loads since they have been chambered for 243, 308, and 358 Winchester. I would surely appreciate any comments or advice even pet loads if you would care to make suggestions.

the last of the 30-30 savage 99's were made in 1935 ( eg & t model) prior to that they were available in all models from 1899 forward.

because of their age hot loads might not be a good idea, but if headspace and lock-up are in specs factory loads should be fine. your great asset here is the use of spitzer bullets. their improved bc and wide bullet selection will offer far better downrange results than flat or round nose designs.

i have found most of the 99's are in need of a good cleaning, afterwhich they shoot very well. a brass muzzle guide for your cleaning rod is a big help and will save your "crown". use an aggresive copper cleaner---follow the instructions and get that bore really clean.

i always store my 99's muzzle down....that way, no oil, solvent or other rifle products end up in the tang area of the stock. they are the reason so many of the rifles have stock cracks.

read "the ninety-nine" (by murray). he has cataloged more savage data on the 1899 and will be a big help to you.

happy trails.
    jh

I would think (don't know for sure) that the 99 in 30-30 would be a good candidate for an "Ackley Improved" rechamber so you could get the best out of those spitzers...
    I love the 99s
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by patcharooskie View Post
    Hi fellas. I am considering a Mod. 99 in 30-30 cal. If any of you are using one of these I would love to hear about it. Are you using handloads? Would you stick to recommended loads intended for Mod 94's and 336's? I'm thinking the Savage should handle hotter loads since they have been chambered for 243, 308, and 358 Winchester. I would surely appreciate any comments or advice even pet loads if you would care to make suggestions.
    I've had a couple over the years, but don't have one now. Most notable to me you can handload pointed bullets and add considerably to it's range potential. While some folks are likely to hot up the pressures, I never did. If I wanted more geewhiz, I'd just go ahead and get a 300 Savage or a 308 and enjoy the 30-30 for what it is. I will say that one of my 99's was probably one of the most accurate cast bullet guns I've ever seen. In fact, the friend who talked me out of it shoots nothing but cast in it. That makes for cheap shooting!

Default Had a 'few' of these...

and loved each and every one of 'em.
    You would be wise to stick with 'standard' .30-30 published loads. The rifle will probably handle hotter cartridges just fine, BUT, .30-30 CASES will NOT!
    If you 'need' more performance than a .30-30 will deliver, then do yourself, and the rifle a favor, and look for another one, say in .300 Savage or .308.
    By all means, pick this rifle up! They're really really REALLY nice shooters if the bore isn't worn/damaged/neglected, and even if the bore is worn, I find the Hornady round nose bullets with long shanks ride worn bores well and give better accuracy than you might imagine.
    I have in the past used 125-130 soft points and hollow points on rock chucks and such, and it works well. The 130 Speer HP will give explosive performance at low velocities and is impressive against varmints.
    FWIW!!!

If you do plan to load to higher pressures then 30-30 brass can take you should consider necking down .375 Win brass. It is built for higher pressure. It also might be posible, though likely not worth the time, to re-chamber to .30 Lever Power or similar based on the 30-40 Krag for more powder capacity.