Thread: 1986 Yamaha 40hp oil light

Default 1986 Yamaha 40hp oil light

I've got a 1986 Yamaha 40HP with an external oil reservoir and the yellow oil warning light is coming on pretty much whenever I give it the gas. The red light never comes on and the green light only at idle. Oil is being consumed but I cannot tell if at the rate I'd expect. I'll experiment with that next weekend.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I can't answer your question directly. However, I know a number of people who have taken the oil injection systems off their outboards altogether. Now they just run them with a premix (your Yamaha needs a 50:1). This way, they have the peace of mind their motor is always getting the proper gas/oil ratio. To them, it's just one less thing to worry about.
    Last edited by Bush Flyer; 09-11-2006 at 23:13.

Default oil injection

I would check the lines for obstructions, check the carburetor inlets for obstructions, and then install a new oil pump. If you want to keep oil injection on an outboard, it is good principal to replace the oil pump every five years as it is an instant destroyer of an otherwise top-notch outboard. They last a lot longer than this, but it is a small price to pay for peace of mind. Also, as stated, removing the injection system is a sure fire way to ensure the engine is properly lubricated.
    Chris

Default Same motor......

I have the same motor and was wondering if you'd noticed if it was running ruff or anything when your running or anything? I haven't had any problems with oil yet (that I know of). I was on the understanding that the motor was better of with the oil injection system. The reasoning was to the effect of; The oil injection gives the enginer feeds at the rate the motor needs for the RPM your running. ..... I'm more than willing to rip out the system if it will prolong the life of the motor. I haven't replaced the nor cleaned out the injection system on mine, but since the man was saying they should be every 5 yrs or so I think I'll look into it. I have that it is running a little ruff. Mine is kinda cranky to get started and at a low idle it likes to sputter a bit. I was a little worried about that, but it seems to be fine at 75% (Running speed). Any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

Default Nope, runs real smooth

Plankton,

It runs really smooth, starts easy, and idles great. I guess these posts have me pretty worried and I'll go over the system with a fine toothed comb this weekend. I don't want to fry anything out.

Thumbs up Let me know

Let me know if you what you find out. Very curious to hear about your engine findings. Good info is always a big help just in case mine or any of my buds have that kind of problem. Thanks.