Thread: Been out to Sand yet?

Default Been out to Sand yet?

Anyone been out on the ice at Sand yet? Went yesterday for a few hours and worked the south side of the lake from 5 to 20' with the vexilar and could find any fish. Anyone got any advice where to catch some trout early season out there?
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

My last outing on Sand was in late Sept. Trolled the entire lake and saw nothing on the fishfinder. Absolutely nothing. Couldn't even convince the pike to bite.

Do the pike eat up all the trout before the winter? There's gotta be some survivors out there to catch through the ice.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Default Sand Lake fish

Last year the fishing was really slow. The year before was great! I really don't understand what happened. It's posible that it got overfished the year before, as I saw a lot of people ice fishing. Last year however, was just dismal, got skunked everytime, and didn't see many people out and the ones out weren't having much luck either. (trout and char)

I sure hope this is just some kind of cycle and the fish will come out of hiding

FM
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenMarc View Post
    Last year the fishing was really slow. The year before was great! I really don't understand what happened. It's posible that it got overfished the year before, as I saw a lot of people ice fishing. Last year however, was just dismal, got skunked everytime, and didn't see many people out and the ones out weren't having much luck either. (trout and char)

I sure hope this is just some kind of cycle and the fish will come out of hiding

FM
    Aren't those all stocked fish? It seems to me it would depend on how many and the size of the fish stocked. I have only fished local stocked lakes once, I always go a million miles a way and then drive a snowmachine another million miles. I really should just take the kids down to a local lake more often. So are there pike in Sand Lake eating them or is there just less stocking?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

That not one of the lakes that were poisoned was it?

No, Cheney Lake in Anchorage and Arch Lake towards Soldotna was rotenoned.

lots of good trout in delong lake.
    Semper Fi!

Default Yes, it was stocked

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    Aren't those all stocked fish? It seems to me it would depend on how many and the size of the fish stocked. I have only fished local stocked lakes once, I always go a million miles a way and then drive a snowmachine another million miles. I really should just take the kids down to a local lake more often. So are there pike in Sand Lake eating them or is there just less stocking?
    The stocking program did take a hit with reduced numbers of catchables, but it was still stocked if I remember correctly. Still not sure what happened, hopefully it comes back around as I really like to fish Sand, its close, and I can go get set up and the wife can bring the kids for action. Same goes for the other stocked lake, just prefer Sand, as there is enough room to spread out and still catch fish.

Your right, Greyhorn, Dleong lake has some good size stockers in it as well.

FM
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright