My wallet is still smokin'.
If we'd actually gotten out to the hunting grounds, it would have been ok. After spending the week getting ready (i.e. spending money) we headed to the tunnel at 7 A.M.. The forecast was less than optimal, but we wanted some fresh meat and decided to drive down and take a look. It was so calm in Bear Valley that we actually had hopes the forecast was wrong. It wasn't.
The waves crashing into the docks at Whittier were wind whipped freezing spray. We drove out to the end of the dock, looked, and decided that we could get out. The seas were about 2-3'+ and the wind was about 40+ mph. Our plan was to get around the corner and find a hole to spend the night in. We had supplies for about a week, plenty of ammo and lots of warm clothes. We hoped to return Sunday afternoon, but were prepared to stay and wait out the weather.
Heading out into the canal we had following seas and were making good time. We were about 2 miles from the harbor looking for a good weekend.
Then the boat died. The RPMs went from 3500 down to about 1,000. It ran like that for about 2 minutes then died. Crapola! I had my buddy fire up the kicker and I dove into the engine. Now that I had the compartment open Carl headed the boat into the waves. One good spray across my back convinced me to just get the boat back to the harbor to effect repairs.
At the dock I had good fuel, but a weak looking spark out of the coil (which is new last season) and no spark at the plug. The distributor had some corrosion, which I cleaned up as best I could. After an hour I called it.
The fun wasn't over. Putting the boat on the trailer was interesting. The wind had lifted the amid-ship rollers on the trailer, unknown to us. I would pull the boat out and it would be out of level on the rollers. Back in the water we would go. After 3 of those I finally noticed the rollers hidden by the fenders were on their side. It took another 3 tries and ended by tying the rollers into position before I was happy. (I got my $20 ramp fee use anyway) Then I ran 3 gallons of anti-freeze thru the motor and headed for town. We did see 2 other boats launch while we were working on ours. They made good time out of he canal.
We realized as much of a bummer as the trip was, it could have been much worse. The weather was no place for a breakdown on the big water. Waiting for the tunnel I got on the phone and found an open shop for the boat. (Professional Marine on Potter--any word (good or bad?) on them?)
Fuel for the boat--$300
Food for the week--$250
Tunnel, ramp & parking--$60
New kicker for the dinghy--$800
Ammo, propane etc---$100
Boat shop bill ---$$$$
Surviving another adventure--Priceless
God willing, we will be back next weekend for a shot at it. The one returning boat had 2 deer from Perry, wetting our appetite. 2 trips out in 3 weeks, I am starting to think that this winter boating isn't for sissies.