Thread: Priceless....

Smile Priceless....

My wallet is still smokin'.
    If we'd actually gotten out to the hunting grounds, it would have been ok. After spending the week getting ready (i.e. spending money) we headed to the tunnel at 7 A.M.. The forecast was less than optimal, but we wanted some fresh meat and decided to drive down and take a look. It was so calm in Bear Valley that we actually had hopes the forecast was wrong. It wasn't.
    The waves crashing into the docks at Whittier were wind whipped freezing spray. We drove out to the end of the dock, looked, and decided that we could get out. The seas were about 2-3'+ and the wind was about 40+ mph. Our plan was to get around the corner and find a hole to spend the night in. We had supplies for about a week, plenty of ammo and lots of warm clothes. We hoped to return Sunday afternoon, but were prepared to stay and wait out the weather.
    Heading out into the canal we had following seas and were making good time. We were about 2 miles from the harbor looking for a good weekend.

Then the boat died. The RPMs went from 3500 down to about 1,000. It ran like that for about 2 minutes then died. Crapola! I had my buddy fire up the kicker and I dove into the engine. Now that I had the compartment open Carl headed the boat into the waves. One good spray across my back convinced me to just get the boat back to the harbor to effect repairs.
    At the dock I had good fuel, but a weak looking spark out of the coil (which is new last season) and no spark at the plug. The distributor had some corrosion, which I cleaned up as best I could. After an hour I called it.
    The fun wasn't over. Putting the boat on the trailer was interesting. The wind had lifted the amid-ship rollers on the trailer, unknown to us. I would pull the boat out and it would be out of level on the rollers. Back in the water we would go. After 3 of those I finally noticed the rollers hidden by the fenders were on their side. It took another 3 tries and ended by tying the rollers into position before I was happy. (I got my $20 ramp fee use anyway) Then I ran 3 gallons of anti-freeze thru the motor and headed for town. We did see 2 other boats launch while we were working on ours. They made good time out of he canal.

We realized as much of a bummer as the trip was, it could have been much worse. The weather was no place for a breakdown on the big water. Waiting for the tunnel I got on the phone and found an open shop for the boat. (Professional Marine on Potter--any word (good or bad?) on them?)

Fuel for the boat--$300
    Food for the week--$250
    Tunnel, ramp & parking--$60
    New kicker for the dinghy--$800
    Ammo, propane etc---$100
    Boat shop bill ---$$$$
    Surviving another adventure--Priceless

God willing, we will be back next weekend for a shot at it. The one returning boat had 2 deer from Perry, wetting our appetite. 2 trips out in 3 weeks, I am starting to think that this winter boating isn't for sissies.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Glad you made it back safely. What is the status on the east ramp? Has the project been completed?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Using your head

Bullbuster,
    Better to make a good decision and live to hunt another day. So often you here about the person that just has to make it there irreguardless of what situations are thrown at them.

Bullbuster,
    Glad you and your party made it back safe, as you mentioned. Priceless! But you know when I bought my boat, I was talking about how much you invest in the boat after you buy it. And many on this forum passed on to me what boat actually stood for:

Break
    Out
    Another
    Thousand

Just passin it along, but I'm sure by now you already know that.

Default Happiest...

The happiest days of any boat owner:

The day the boat was purchased.
    The day the boat was sold.

Seems as though you made lots of good decisions and will be able to use the boat another day.

Default similar situation

I pulled a kicker return to the harbor last week too near Sitka. The main engine worked well getting out to the hunting grounds but trying to get her running for the return it didn't. I had the same situation.......coroded wires causing the ignition system to fail. It works now after a little scrubing and lube.

Being safe and prepared for that event is the most important thing. I always wear my skiff suit.

Go get em this week.

Default Work is ongoing

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Glad you made it back safely. What is the status on the east ramp? Has the project been completed?
    I am one of those guys that ...
    one thing wrong gets me lookin, 2 things get me thinkin and three things make me wonder if it is meant to be. Kept me alive this long.

I used the ramp by the harbor masters office. The east ramp is blocked by piles of gravel and incomplete. I didn't go look beyond the piles to see what progress has been made. If I think of it, I will next time down.
    Maybe this weekend, it's supposed to lay down again late Thursday.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    I am one of those guys that ...
    one thing wrong gets me lookin, 2 things get me thinkin and three things make me wonder if it is meant to be. Kept me alive this long.

I used the ramp by the harbor masters office. The east ramp is blocked by piles of gravel and incomplete. I didn't go look beyond the piles to see what progress has been made. If I think of it, I will next time down.
    Maybe this weekend, it's supposed to lay down again late Thursday.
    I would appreciate it. I am not very optimistic about the completion of this project by spring. What a cluster the short ramp will be if the new, bigger one is not completed. Shoot, I cannot launch/retrieve below mid tide on the short ramp without getting the truck wet. Good luck this weekend and be safe.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default water is no joke

I had a similar situation last spring. I had borrowed a buddies jet boat and headed to PWS with the family. We had the boat loaded and had a couple issues getting the boat up on step. I made the call that a bear was not worth risking my familie's lives. We headed back to Fairbanks. Upon investigation of the jet boat the impeller was just about shot. A little further investigation revealed the previous owner had replaced a gasket with caulk and the boat was taking on water through a 1/4inch by 8 inch hole where the caulk fell out.
    Cost us a bout $2,000.00 total, but it did not cost us our lives.

Good luck this weekend. Post a write-up of how the adventure goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Stogey View Post

Seems as though you made lots of good decisions and will be able to use the boat another day.

how true...lol

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Stogey View Post

LOL well you know what B O A T stands for.....

Break
    Out
    Another
    Thousand.

i sold all three of mine... i want a canoe.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here