Thread: Start them young

Smile Start them young

We can't ever start them early enough with proper instruction. This is my son at seven shooting a Ruger Bearcat. I started to teach him how to shoot at age three with a Daisy Buck BB gun with the buttstock cut off short (it has since been put back on). He has a NEF .410/.22 youth combo that he has been shooting quite a bit lately and has taken a couple of grouse with it. Let's get our kids out there shooting and hunting and pass on what we love so much.

Thumbs up

Great picture I like the fact that Dad is right there keeping everything safe but letting him do the shooting

I did the same thing with my nephew. He started shooting my Browning Buck mark and a S&W 17 when he was five or six years old. By the time he was ten he was shooting my Para Ordnance P14-45 (it's to big for his hands but he enjoyed it).
    Sad to say that nobody is taking over after I moved a way

Quote Originally Posted by vts View Post
    I did the same thing with my nephew. He started shooting my Browning Buck mark and a S&W 17 when he was five or six years old. By the time he was ten he was shooting my Para Ordnance P14-45 (it's to big for his hands but he enjoyed it).
    Sad to say that nobody is taking over after I moved a way
    Note of Caution...I'm sure you're all aware, but never hurts to reiterate:

when teaching a kid (or anyone else not used to recoil) to shoot a handgun...make sure you're not standing right behind and above them... I remember seeing something a couple years ago about a guy teaching his 6-year old to shoot a .45 and the kid accidentally double-tapped as the gun recoiled, and shot his dad in the head.

I love the photo...reminds me of when I was learning to shoot--5 years old with the single-shot Ithaca .22 rifle--handguns were a few years later, and shotguns much later. Not a safety issue, just my Dad thought I needed to be good with a rifle (open sights) before moving to the shotgun. I learned handgun shooting on the bearcat also...My Dad won't give it up til he passes on, so I'm okay with not getting that one for a few years...might hve to look for one of my own though.

"the kid accidentally double-tapped as the gun recoiled, and shot his dad in the head."

I should have pointed it out, when he shoots any thing with plenty of recoil, there is only one round in the gun.

I don't want this to happen, notice that the second shoot is fired with the gun pointing up, it could have been pointing backwards.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly0nVwiRSrA

excelent point AKroadkill! I hope that I would have been thinking of that on my own but now I am sure I will be!