Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which skinny water boat?

Default Which skinny water boat?

Well I know this can be argued forever just like which truck, or ATV. I am going to upgrade the outboard on my Wooly AK 17'6" next year by adding a UHMW lined intake sleeve and a Stainless impeller and maybe an OB stomp grate then take it out as much as I can to maximize my experiance reading the water. I think I am going to sell it in 2010 and buy an inboard skinny water boat. Which brings me to the reason for this thread!

So which boat??

Jetcraft extreme shallow. Perhaps the JMAX? Does the JMAX get better MPG?

Phantom SJ?

Knockoff SJX"

Perhaps the Thunder Jet Denali with the new UHMW bottom?

If I was buying a boat today I would probably get another 2175 XS like the one I have or I might possibly check into a custom built boat from Riddle Marine.

Hard to say what I would get in 2010. Technology is changing and things might be a little different in a couple of years. I would keep my eyes out and see where things go.

Only thing I know for certain is I would not buy a boat built in China (SJX).

Default As a sport jon owner

I honestly thing the XS is the best boat for your money. They are probably set up to be the best all around boat. Skinny water, ocean, you can do it in comfort. As for the new SJX, no experience, but having them built over in China really "discourages" me in ever buying one!

How about a 17.5' Alaskan with an SJ inboard??
    That would be a sweet skinny water machine. Wonder why Wooldridge doesn't off the SJ package in any of its line up?
    The whole UHMW bttom thing seems like a real double edged sword to me. Great for protection in boulder/debris filled waters, but when it gets a fastener ripped out, you are now into a whole new world of repair. Is this a real concern, or are they (the UHMW bottoms) more robust that way than they seem?

Default No Contest!!!

I'd say by 2010 the technology on these baby's will vastly improve and it may be the "vehicle" to have in Alaska!! Take a look at the videos and see what you think. If you could haul a moose out with it I'd think it would be the hot ticket here.

http://www.fasttrackamphibian.com/

Out of curiosity, how do the XS guys find them on lakes/large swells? I realize its not a lake boat, but in my Ak, i feel pretty safe in large swells with the up-turned bow. And many of my trips involve big lake navigation. If it gets choppy, i throttle back and it fine. I like the looks of the XS, but don't want to trade away safety.
    Thx

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Out of curiosity, how do the XS guys find them on lakes/large swells?
    I feel safe enough but the ride is a bit rough. Late this summer I was in Jacks bay out of Valdez and the wind came up. Swells were bigger than the boat but we made it back to the harbor very slowly. Never felt unsafe but getting up any speed was impossible due to cavitation and a pounding ride. Hard to find a boat that will do it all.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if I was in the market for a new river boat my search would end with the 2175 XS

Default skinny x 2

if your looking for a skinny water boat with good ride and great gas milage we make one. we make in 80 h.p. 2 stroke and 150 h.p. 4 stroke both inboard and very light. these boats run in 2 in. of water that's run not skip over 2 in water like some big heavy aluminum jet boat. you can see this boat at www.jetboatsofmontana.com

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, if I was in the market for a new river boat my search would end with the 2175 XS
    I was sold on the XS but the new Thunderjet Denali with the 1/4" hull full UHMW sure does look interesting! I plan on beating the He!! out of whatever I get though and I am not sure if the new bonded UHMW would make hull repairs overly expensive or unnecessarily hard?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    The new Thunderjet Denali.
    Looks interesting. Any idea on price? Some of that new technology I was talking about, I think 2010 will show some newer things yet.

Very cool boats Bill,
    Any plans on building something in the 20-21 foot size?

Quote Originally Posted by jbm View Post
    if your looking for a skinny water boat with good ride and great gas milage we make one. we make in 80 h.p. 2 stroke and 150 h.p. 4 stroke both inboard and very light. these boats run in 2 in. of water that's run not skip over 2 in water like some big heavy aluminum jet boat. you can see this boat at www.jetboatsofmontana.com

Quote Originally Posted by Crumm View Post
    Looks interesting. Any idea on price? Some of that new technology I was talking about, I think 2010 will show some newer things yet.
    On the new Denali? I don't even want to know! I could only imagane that thunderjet does not produce a whole lot of those boats at the moment. One of those price Vs. demand things. Nice looking boat though.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Quote Originally Posted by jbm View Post
    Looks decent, but I'd need a tunnel hull and stomp grate. Plus, might be a bit underpowered for getting a big load a long way. would be great for the skinnier water though. Wish I'd had one of them a few years back on the Ivishak.

Hey LuJon...I have a boat that I'll sell ya'...it's has seen very little use and always been baby'd...:....I'm looking to UPGRADE to a Riddle......it won't perform in the shallows at slow speeds like the XS but I can live with that...lol...

seriously though...I'm sure that any of the boats you mentioned will do what you want...It would come down on price for me to do again...AMDS was letting an '08 XS go last september for under 30K.......that's less than my '06, and it had a 5 year engine warranty....it about made me sick because I now know that mine will fetch far less than I was hoping to sell it for...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

There are a few Denali's in town here, however, from what i was told, they were having cavitation issues with the lifting stakes, and were getting a local welding shop to work on them. I saw one of the boats post welding at a local autobody shop for finishing and re-painting. Initially, i thought it was a sportjon, but then i later saw the Thunderjet logo, but didn't recognize the model. Anyway, talked to a fellow who had demo'd one for a week and he had nothing but good to say about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    There are a few Denali's in town here.
    Where is here?

Quote Originally Posted by Crumm View Post
    Where is here?
    Whoah, thats pretty Zen
    Sorry, Whitehorse YT.
    You ever worry about not having the self bailing bow and stuffing it in a wave? Out of all the boats out there, i really like that XS, but it just looks like it would be sketchy going into some large waves on a lake.

Thumbs down

Wonder what them jbm boats would do with a moose, 2 men, and huntin' gear? How about a video of that. The intake would be out of the water, a matter of physics. Aluminum jet skis! Really neat in 2'' of water empty! 3' swells would be spooky,especially with no self bailing bow.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Well I know this can be argued forever just like which truck, or ATV. I am going to upgrade the outboard on my Wooly AK 17'6" next year by adding a UHMW lined intake sleeve and a Stainless impeller and maybe an OB stomp grate then take it out as much as I can to maximize my experiance reading the water. I think I am going to sell it in 2010 and buy an inboard skinny water boat. Which brings me to the reason for this thread!

So which boat??

Jetcraft extreme shallow. Perhaps the JMAX? Does the JMAX get better MPG?

Phantom SJ?

Knockoff SJX"

Perhaps the Thunder Jet Denali with the new UHMW bottom?
    Its amazing, skinny water , a list of jetboats and the Outlaw name no where to be seen.....

Skinny water addict

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast