Thread: Calling lynx

Default Calling lynx

I assume that a Lynx can be called in since and advice on what to use for this? I saw one along the road and a month ago and was thinking of starting there. Thanks in advance.

Default Lynx to the call

I know of one lynx coming in to an e-caller last winter. The guy said he set up around lots of tracks, he got set up and turned the call on (snow shoe hare in distress I think) and in less than 5 minutes he had a tom coming in at a full run to the caller. Dead kitty!

I don't have any experiance but I have read that lynx respond very well to a lure like a hanging bird wing or one of the e-caller lures.

search the archives.

What would be cool is to have a fake "flapping bird" you could hang from a low tree limb so the motion could be seen from quite a distance. ...and the e-caller too.

Quote Originally Posted by trapperrick View Post
    What would be cool is to have a fake "flapping bird" you could hang from a low tree limb so the motion could be seen from quite a distance. ...and the e-caller too.

They sell those birds at sportsmans.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

If your ever going thru Seattle airport visit the sovinier store there are flapping birds there for a few bucks that hands down work better then the expensive decoys out there for sale.

Find you some fresh lynx tracks and set up your speaker out as far in a opening as you can(mine has a 50ft cord). Take a long willow and shove it in the snow at a angle at the speaker with the tip about five feet off the ground. Now take the lightest fishing line you got and tie one end to the tip of the willow and the other to one of those white plastic grocery bags to where the bag is a couple of feet off the ground. ANY slightest breeze will make the bag flutter around. Now get back on the edge of the opening and play the hare in distress non stop for 5 minutes. Stop for a minute and start back up. I have taken several lynx this way. They will trot right in and sometimes sit down and just stare at your set up. BANG! Good luck!!

Question Environment.

I have happened on a couple while calling but havent been able to tell a good spot from a bad one. I obviously look for sign but the few I have called in were accidents. looking for dogs or fox? Any suggestions.

Called a young one in last year. Was calling for dogs. Two days before cats were open. Had to let him walk.

Default lynx

Some five years ago or so I set up on some fresh lynx tracks with my son who was then about ten. The tracks were in a sloped spruce forest abutting up to some cliffs in an area were there were a fair number of coyotes. I started calling with a rabbit in distress mouth call. I could here coyotes in the distance yippin and told my son to keep still cause I was sure one of those dogs was going to come in..Well, I recon they had been called some as they never did come in or at least I never saw any. I've always heard that cats can take alot longer to respond to a call so I continued calling. After about half an hour of intermittent callin I heard a small branch snap somewhere below us. Sure enough, here comes a nice big lynx creepin up through the tree's and brush. One round of .22mag put him down quick at 40yards.
    My son was sure thrilled to drag that Tom out of the woods with me. It's the only one I've ever called in but for me the leason was that if you set up on fresh lynx tracks give it some time and don't over call.
    Have fun and good luck.

Mntman.
    Did you snowmobile into where you called, or hike? Just curious.

Default hiked in

We hiked in to that area. There was not much snow on the ground and it was right after a fresh dusting. We were actually hiking in to call for yotes when we cut the tracks.. Kind of like trapping for marten, seems like calling on fresh tracks works pretty good.

Smile

I agree.............