Thread: Kenai bear

Smile Kenai bear

I was just playing around and trying to figure out how to post a picture on here. I think it finally worked. I got this bear in August on the Kenai.
    Last edited by 454casull; 11-01-2008 at 22:09. Reason: To add dialogue

Great picture and great looking bear, looks like you have a bit of a pack through some thick tangles to get it out.

Nice looking bear!
    Was that a conditioning hunt for the upcoming sheep hunt? :-)
    Enjoyed the sheep hunt pics too.
    Is there a story that goes with the bear?
    A sheep story? I love stories.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Smile Bear story

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Nice looking bear!
    Was that a conditioning hunt for the upcoming sheep hunt? :-)
    Enjoyed the sheep hunt pics too.
    Is there a story that goes with the bear?
    A sheep story? I love stories.
    Actually I conditioned on my sheep hunt for this bear hunt. This picture was taken a few days after I got back from my sheep hunt and had the rest of the week off before I had to go back to work. Myself and three partners headed up this drainage late in the day. We made it to a saddle about three miles in and started glassing. One of my partners spotted the bear first. A couple of us got out our Swarovski 65 spotters and looked the bear over to see whether he was good enough to go after. He was so far away that it was hard to tell but after watching him feed for a while, I thought he was worth the climb and mile or two treck to get a better look at him. After an hour and half I was right above where I had last seen him (the other three guys stayed behind and looked elsewhere). I could not find him anywhere which seems about par for the course on a black bear stalk. The wind was wrong on the climb so I thought he might have busted me, but I kept searching. It was getting late and I was about ready to head on in since I had a ways to go to get back to the truck. I started working down the south face of the mountain (we first spotted him on a the northwest face of a ridge) which was the direction of the truck. I had not gone a hundred yards off the top of the ridge when I spotted him laying down in a bed of wild flowers munching away. I snuck down to within ninety yards of him and considered taking him with my trusty 454 Casull but opted for my rifle. I waited for him to stand up, which he finally did to move on to the next bed of flowers to my right. I got a perfect ninety yard broadside shot. I hit him right behind the shoulders with a 175 grain Swift A-Frame going a little over 3000 f.p.s. out of my 26 inch barreled 7mm RUM. Full penetration and a dead bear rolling down the mountain. He just didn't quite make it to the truck though!! Dagburnit, maybe next time. So... needless to say, I had a nice long pack out, all downhill though. It was just about dark when I got back to the truck. My three partners where sitting there waiting for me.....they never heard the shot.

Very nice bear!

They just told you they did not hear the shot so they wouldn't be expected to come and help. kidding of course....That is a nice looking bear, did you tan or rug him?

Talking 3/4 Body Mount

Quote Originally Posted by MyKC395 View Post
    They just told you they did not hear the shot so they wouldn't be expected to come and help. kidding of course....That is a nice looking bear, did you tan or rug him?
    Neither. I just had Kenny Jones here in Kenai complete fleshing it and dry it. I just got it back this weekend and I am looking to get a 3/4 body mount done on him. As far as not hearing the shot........ I think you are right, I have been suspecting that.

Thanks for the story.
    Sounds like you earned him!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."