Thread: vehicles on lake louise

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default vehicles on lake louise

a buddy of mine swears that you can get around in a highway vehicle on lake louise during the winter but i have heard different. i dont remember where or when but it seems i have looked into this before and came to the conclusion that you cant get around on lake louise with a highway vehicle. can someone experianced in this matter chime in a clear it up for me? thanks

Default a highway vehicle

i didnt know they made specific vehicles for highways....

Quote Originally Posted by akriverrat View Post
    a buddy of mine swears that you can get around in a highway vehicle on lake louise during the winter but i have heard different. i dont remember where or when but it seems i have looked into this before and came to the conclusion that you cant get around on lake louise with a highway vehicle. can someone experianced in this matter chime in a clear it up for me? thanks
    Yes you can drive a truck on Louise. Just like any other lake, careful of thin or bad ice.

I would call Tree at Wolverine Lodge. He would know.

Last March/April, I went out 2X and there were not any truck tracks. I hauled freight with 4 wheelers and it was VERY tough going. I have heard that it all depends on the weather and snow depth. I was told to stay away from the creeks. I have seen pics of roads plowed like on Big Lake. I have not seen them at all at Lake Louise.

My lot faces north and there was a HUGE snow drift in front of it that went 1/2 mile out on the lake.

Even with wheelers and snow machines, you need to watch the weather. My sons Polaris ran great early but when temps went up, it was a hog.

It is unbelievably beautiful out there in the winter.

Mike

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default i kinda thought

that lake louise got alot of snow and was not a polished lake. if there is noone making roads then there would be no way to get around with a 4 wheel drive. i know that paxson gets alot of snow on it as well but long lake if you can get past the drift is pretty snow free.

There are a lot of places with overflow on Lake Louise from my experience. I got into water on top a bunch of times, some of it kind of deep, and my daughter went off the main trail while we were going across the lake and broke through into about 4 feet of overflow two years ago.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

They have a series of groomed sled trails that get rock hard that people drive on but for the most part there arnt to many trucks that drive on the lake.

Default Trucks on the lake aren't a super welcomed site...

For the most part, the locals that live on Lake Louise from what I've learned don't really want or like full size trucks on the lake for two main reasons: First of all, they don't want Lake Louise to turn into another Big Lake, 2nd, the snow depth does get fairly deep at times and the ruts that the trucks make are quite significant and can cause issues with the groomed trail.

I drove across the lake on Dec 2nd 2006 with a 3/4 truck towing a sled bed with my outhouse and a snowmachine on it. This was pretty early in the season and the truck made three lines in the snow as we drug the pumpkin just a little from the depth of the snow. Was a beautiful morning and we zipped across with the snowmachines first on Tree's recommendation to look for ice breaks or pressure ridges. The drive across was uneventful other than the fact there was only 10 inches of ice on the far side of the lake. I don't mind the 10 inches, but what about those thin spots....yikes.

Here's a picture of the truck on the far side just past the Squirrel's Nest.

Oh, I've wheeler'd a few loads across the lake towing the sled bed, not very easy when the sun softens the snow, bring a buddy with a snowmachine in case you get stuck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default No problems

I have taken my truck out on the lake many times. I start from Lake Louise Lodge. There are a few springs on the lake which always have thin ice, so be careful. The problem is the weather. There are times when in -50f the old beast does not want to start.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

if you dont know exactly where you are going, i wouldnt do it. ive seen Tree many times gearing up to go rescue trucks that broke through.