Thread: Chrony Q

Question Chrony Q

I'm having a problem with my new F1 Chrony. As usual, I suspect user error/ignorance.

I shot .44 mag rounds through it and they all registered. No error messages.

Then I shot 45 ACP rounds through it and not one registered.

I took the screens down and tried the 44 again and it registered, then tried the 45 again...ERROR! I wanted to pull my hair out. And I don't have any, so I don't feel any better.

Any ideas about the cause? Thanks in advance.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

It may be coincidence that it worked with the 44, but not the 45 ACP.

Those Chronys are sensitive to light. Sunshine, or lack of it. Too much, or too little. You can use the shades, not use the shades, put scotch tape over the sensors, move it up or down, and stuff like that to make it work, depending on which is the problem.

It's an experimental science.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default My experience

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    I'm having a problem with my new F1 Chrony. As usual, I suspect user error/ignorance.

I took the screens down and tried the 44 again and it registered, then tried the 45 again...ERROR! I wanted to pull my hair out. And I don't have any, so I don't feel any better.

Apparantly, to register the passage of the shadow of the bullet, the Chrony needs a plain background (and blue sky is not suitable). Cloudy day, no screen. Clear day, make sure the sun does not shine into the sensors and use the screens.

I have always had more trouble with loads that produce a lot of muzzle blast. It might be the vibration, the gasses themselves or particles of unburnt powder confusing the sensors. What usually works is to move the chronograph furthur downrange.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Lost Sheep (Larry)

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post

Wouldn't happen to have been cast bullets in the 44 and jacketed in the 45?

use a black felt tip marker to "paint" the bullet with. It helps a lot to make the bullet visible to the sensor.

Default Same...

I was pushing lead through both. I did some research and I may have missed the first sensor somehow. I guess I'll just have to shoot some more. Woe is me...

It's pretty hard to miss the first sensor and get the second if everything is lined up right. I'm on my third crony and am having very good luck with it. They are very sensitive to the type of day light you have. Clear day vs overcast, sun at lower angle shining directly on sensor etc. Painting the bullet with a black marker works very well. Some days it works better without the sky screens. Try shading the sensors if the sun is at a low angle. Good luck