Thread: Next year's bookings re: the economy?

Default Next year's bookings re: the economy?

Do you guys think this year's sinking economy is going to hurt next year's booking for guides and cabins?

I can't see it as a good thing.

Your thoughts?
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

I would say so. The wife and I are travel nurses working on Cape Cod. This is a big time vacation destination for yanks. This summer was much slower than last. Working as an ER nurse, I noticed a sharp decline in the "busy season". People have less expendable income. The first thing to go is vacations. The second is RV's, boats, motorcycles and such. Our home is North Carolina and we try to get up to Alaska about twice a year. But with the economy the way it is, we will only be coming up three times next year. I am not as smart as most though I suspect travel will be down in all areas in light of our unstable economy. Penny pinching time for many is at hand.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default The converse is true too.

I normally go outside for a few weeks a year to the lower 48. While I haven't been laid off, and I don't think I will be, I don't know if I will be going anywhere this year either. Well, except fishing a lot in Homer, Seward, and Whittier because rumor has it there won't be anyone else in my "secret" fishing holes.....

Quote Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
    Do you guys think this year's sinking economy is going to hurt next year's booking for guides and cabins?

I can't see it as a good thing.

Your thoughts?
    Yes, of course it will impact them, and not just for next year, but possibly forever. When an industry dies off, it is unlikely that it will be rejuvenated. Something else usually takes it's place. I expect most will experience life in a "virtual" way, through their computers. It is way cheaper and easier. During the last depression, the big screen and Hollywood came out of it and were the big winners. For this one, I expect the home computer will be what most will turn to. People have to turn to something to distract their minds from their problems, or they will go crazy. Employers will have difficult times keeping their employees sane enough to come to work, for those that are lucky enough to find jobs. It is going to be like "old times", in Alaska. The ones that will benefit greatly, though, are those Do It Yourselfers, that like to get out and play not too far from home. Those living up here in the cities, are destined to experience the same as those living in the lower forty eight. Even this year, a lot of the city guys and gals talk and write of not getting out in Alaska as much as they have in the past. So as things get tighter, I expect they will stay home even more.

I know a guide who purchased the tidewater camp on the Kanektok last year, but cancelled the ENTIRE 2008 season because he could not get adequate bookings.

I knew something was wrong when he was advertising 2008 sturgeon trips on the Columbia River during the prime week of fishing Kanektok kings.

I think 2008 was just the tip of the iceberg.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default bad times

I cant say for sure I will make it back next summer but I will try to be in soldotna on the 17th of july I havent MISSED A SUMMER IN 7 YEARS but times art tougher than they have ever been this year im hopeing that after the election the economy will start to turn.......I WAS LOOKING A BOOKING PLANE TICKETS TODAY AND GUESS WHAT PRICES ARE LESS THAN LAST YEAR AND THE PLANES ARE EMPTY ......SO WHAT DOES THIS MEAN I THINK YOU WILL SEE 1/3 LESS TOURIST NEXT SUMMER SOME LOCALS MIGHT LIKE IT BUT THE ONES WHO USE TOURUISIM AS A MAIN INCOME WILL PROBABLY HAVE TO BE MORE COMPETIVE AND TREAT THEIR CLIENTS BETTER IF THEY DONT THEY PROBABLY WONT HAVE MANY CLIENTS LEFT THERE MAY BE SOME GREAT BARGINS NEXT SUMMER IN ALASKA

Default i'll be there...

booked plane tickets in Sept.,, and have a boat out of homer booked for six..
    none of the guys i come up with even considered not coming..
    we ain't rich by any means,, we are roofers and carpenters..
    it is all about what you want to do.. ya just gotta plan ahead, and start paying for tickets and charters a year in advance.. if ya want to do somthig bad enough you will find a way..
    my biggest worry is whether the Deshka will have a King run this year..