Thread: Shooting Locations (other than the ranges)

Default Shooting Locations (other than the ranges)

My housemate just got a scoped .22 LR, and a guest from Kodiak got a Ruger P90.

They both want to go shoot, but they don't want to have to pay a range fee. My housemate says he shot at a quarry in Juneau once and was hoping to do something like that here in Anchorage.

Is there an outdoor location where it's safe to shoot? Perhaps a piece of BLM land that people frequent just to shoot?

Thanks

Nothing close to Anchorage. Everything has been shut down because of slobs and safety concerns. There are places in the Valley, but the fuel money you'd spend driving by Birchwood or Rabbit Creek would be more than if you just went and paid the range fee.

Alright, thanks. I'll let my buddies know. Disappointed to hear about the slobs, but I know what you mean.

My housemates flick their cigarette butts on the ground instead of putting it in the garbage cans that are 2 steps to the left. My father taught me well, he always kept and properly disposed of his trash.

We shoot at a local gravel pit when the local range is closed (often). We bring two trash cans every time and never fail to fill them

Most (if not all) public areas are closed to shooting as illegal discharge of firearms. On private land you need the permission of the landowner (which is sometimes not so hard to get if you are cleaning up a lot of trash).

Do not take my word for it, I have not done research lately, but this is my best recollection from the period of time when the mud flats north of Anchorage were closed off.

Remember, believe only half of what you see and a quarter of what you hear. That goes double for what you find on the internet.

Lost Sheep (Larry)

Most (if not all) public areas are closed to shooting as illegal discharge of firearms.
    Safe target shooting is allowed on most state and mat-su borough lands. Littering is illegal and so is reckless shooting. Shooting in the certain gravel pit that I do is probably not allowed, but the state (when I was last there) does not have it posted and I clean it up when I leave. In fact, before the local range opened up our local troopers even went there to shoot.

They closed target shooting in the Palmer Hayflats State Game Refuge (the mudflats north of Anchorage) because of the abuse.

Like Lost Sheep says, check it out. The guys that are going to ticket you are local law enforcement and the State Troopers. Check with the closest law enforcement to where you want to shoot and they should be able to give you an idea what you can do.