Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 6.8x43mm SPC ?

Default AR-15 6.8x43mm SPC ?

Anyone have one? Thoughts? 115 gr .277 caliber at 2800fps x26 in the mag sounds pretty darn potent.

Well, I found info overload here. 6.8 spc

Been looking into a 6.8 for a while now. There are several companies that are manufacturing ammunition and uppers. Aparently with all the data iv read the 6.8 has superior terminal ballistics than the 5.56 and is effective to ranges out to 300m. 6.8 is also designed with short barrels in mind since the 5.56 only shines with high velocity. 16in barrels cant get the 5.56 up to speed and thats why there are some complaints coming back from overseas that bad guys are taking way to many rounds to go down.

One main company, Cardinal Armory, was making very good uppers for an extremely good price until a bad contract on their barrels. Their barrels were having excessive chrome causing dangerously high pressures with some standard and all combat loads. They are out of business now. There is a few companies that are making standardized uppers but unfortunately come with the wilson 1:10 SAAMI Spec 1 chambers which also wont shoot combat loads from Silver State Armory. Ideally a 1:11 or 1:12 with SAAMI Spec II chamber is what you would want in a barrel with M4 feedramps cut into the upper receiver. A 1:10 twist can get the job done as long as its a SAAMI Spec II chamber.

The forums I frequent is www.68forums.com and there is probably more info there than you can absorb. In January there will be a company selling uppers for around $500-600 with the proper barrel specs. I will definately be picking one up.

Oh and btw, dont know if you heard, but apparently the Army is requesting blueprints for a new rifle and are not limiting their search to the 5.56 NATO round. The 6.8 is getting some more attention in that arena. If this is the case, you can expect uppers and ammunition to become more available for more reasonable prices.

I have one with a 1 in 10 twist 16 inch barrel. (With the good chamber) but have not been able to test it much due to a lack of ammo, brass and money.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Here is a comparison in the size..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks guys. Ya, I don't know, I'm looking at getting an AR and sure like the idea of slinging a 115 grain .277 bullet instead of a 55g .223. If I ever really have to use it for what it intended for. I was at Frontier here in Fairbanks today and they have 3 bushmaster, all 223's. He said they just sold a 6.8. I think the bushies are 1-10 twist. Any idea what the chamber is in the bushmasters? I didn't see any ammo though. But, I'd reload anyway.

Bushmaster supposedly has been using the SAMI chamber. they can supposedly be reamed out to SPCII for around $50.

I wonder how the heck you would do that with a chrome lined bore.....?

I bought a Stag M5. While it only has the 1 in 10 twist , they also have the SPCII chamber.

So far after some research all I have figured out...sort of...

Chambers:
    SAAMI / 0.05 " throat , can cause higher pressure in warmer loadings.
    SPCII / 0.10" throat, better able to handle hotter loads.

Twist:
    1 in 9.5 twist not so great, excess pressure
    1 in 10 twist OK with SPCII chamber, but not ideal for hotter loads
    1 in 11 twist with a SPCII chamber are good for hotter loads.

Brass:
    SSA (Silver State Arsenal) in Nevada makes the best brass. It has a small primer pocket and the thickness supposedly gives the most amount of case powder space available.
    They sell it for about $40 per 100, BUT when I tred to order 200 pieces of brass the gal who answered the phone said that I would have to fork over another $27 for her to go stand in line at the post office. She suggested that I find three or four other guys up here who want to split an order of 1000 pieces of brass. She claimed she could get about that much 6.8 brass inside a priority mail flat rate box. Midway and a couple other places sell SSA brass for $50 per bag of 100.....

SAA loaded ammo is supposedly really nice stuff. But I have no idea how we can get any up here,,,,

It looks like Hornady Brass (small primer again) may be the second best. I have 20 rounds of thier brass.
    Remington Brass can be found but they used a large primer and it has limited case volume.

Magazines:
    I shopped around and C-products magazine can be found for $17.
    The nice Barret and PRI magazines are around $40 a piece....

As it stands now, I cannot afford to shoot mine. The only ammo available here in Homer is $35 for 20 rounds.....

I've not shot my CMMG upper enough to reach a verdict yet, but I can say that 2800 FPS with a 115 sounds a little optimistic. I reached 2460 FPS with the Rem. 115 gr. MC in a 16" bbl. H322 seems to work really well in my rifle.

Yeah im about to PCS out of here in March and although I love a lot of things about Alaska I am **** sure not going to miss the ridiculous shipping prices. I plan on getting my 6.8 down in the lower 48 where everything is dirt cheap. I wont miss the cold and I wont miss the the shipping but everything else is unique to Alaska. Once I pick mine up ill come back here give a heads up. Ill get mine the Xtreme in January.

I wont miss the cold
    That is God's Force Field. It helps keep out some of the undesirables...

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    That is God's Force Field. It helps keep out some of the undesirables...
    I agree with you here. This is probably one of the only states where I felt more safe than anything else. Ran into trouble a few times but it was mostly my fault anyway. From what I have noticed, you have to look for trouble here in order to find it.

Snyd,

If you get one let me know since I am trying to see how many folks might be interested in a bulk 6.8 x 43 mm SPC brass buy from Silver State Arsenal (SSA)..

Snyd,

If you get one let me know since I am trying to see how many folks might be interested in a bulk 6.8 x 43 mm SPC brass buy from Silver State Arsenal (SSA)..
    Will do. Still looking around.

...As it stands now, I cannot afford to shoot mine. The only ammo available here in Homer is $35 for 20 rounds.....
    Man, I was in Frontier Outfitters here today checking out the 223 bushies and they had some Rem 6.8 SPC Ammo. 115gr core-lokts.... $47.00 for a box of 20

The thing with the 223 is, you don't have to limit yourself to 55 gr bullets. With a 1-8 or 1-7 twist barrel you can go up to 80 gr bullets. I just don't see the increased price and hassle of the 6.8 being worth it. I can handload 100 rounds of ammo in .223 with 75 gr a-max for ~$30.

If you want more than a .223, get an AR-10 or varient in .308.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    The thing with the 223 is, you don't have to limit yourself to 55 gr bullets. With a 1-8 or 1-7 twist barrel you can go up to 80 gr bullets. I just don't see the increased price and hassle of the 6.8 being worth it. I can handload 100 rounds of ammo in .223 with 75 gr a-max for ~$30.

If you want more than a .223, get an AR-10 or varient in .308.
    Thats why I got the 1/8 Stag, so I could load a longer heavier bullet if need be. I gotta agree, instead of loading very expensive hard to find ammo, just step up to the .308. Then again, researching, learning, getting what not many people have, etc., is what makes it ALL THE MORE FUN!!!

Yeap, I already have a 7.62 x 51mm, well actually two of them.

So why not something different.. I also shoot 6.5 Swede and 38-40, although neither is super common..

The whole 6.8 x43mm SPC (and 6.5 Grendel) idea revolved around updating standard size M-4 and M-16A2s to a more effective cartridge without having to change the basic receiver, the majority of current parts or the issue field gear required to carry magazines. Additionally the ammunition is lighter, consumes less space and produces less recoil than the 7.62mm NATO.

We could promote BARs in 338 Win Mag... which would be super effective down range,, but then again ,, everything is a trade off...

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Thats why I got the 1/8 Stag, so I could load a longer heavier bullet if need be. I gotta agree, instead of loading very expensive hard to find ammo, just step up to the .308. Then again, researching, learning, getting what not many people have, etc., is what makes it ALL THE MORE FUN!!!
    +2
    Have you considered a Springfield M1A? Its not like I need to tell you this but the fact is that the .308 Win is readily available and cheep! Plus the .308 has superior ballistics.

Here is a good article by Zak Smith

http://coloradomultigun.com/misc/sgn_68spc.pdf

Here is another from AR-15 site

http://www.ar15.com/lite/topic.html?b=3&f=121&t=369145

And here are some gelitan test.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/6point8mmSPC.html

You guys are a wealth of info, thanks. I am on the learning curve here and looking at options. 20 years ago I had some buddies in Montana that had full auto AR's the we'd go shoot from time to time (that was fun!) but I've never been serious about looking at buying a black rifle until recently. I've got a buddy with his FFL and he gets catalogs with pretty good prices. So, if I decide to go new I have that option. I'm also watching the local classifieds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast