Thread: Sightron Riflescopes?

Default Sightron Riflescopes?

Chuck Hawks' website published a listing of a few recommended scopes:
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/few_recomm...iflescopes.htm

All are medium priced, approx 3-9 power scopes. Bushnell Elite 3200, 3-10x40mm, Burris 2-7x35mm Ballistic Plex, Burris Signature Select Ballistic Plex 3-10x40mm were some of the more familiar.

The article speaks well of two Sightron scopes (SI 3-9x40mm and SII 3-9x42mm). Just wonder if anyone has anyone tried these or other Sightron scopes? Thanks.

I've got two. An Sl 3-9x40 and an Sll 1.5-6x42. The Sl is a nice scope that gives a bright clear image and tracks well,BUT the eye relief is WAY shorter than the given specs. I've got mine on a .22 but it would probably work on a LIGHT kicking centerfire. The Sll I just got(discontinued but still available) and haven't mounted but I feel it's going to replace the new VXlll 1.75-6x32 I put on my .300 this past summer. They both compare equally bright in low light but the Sightron has the better eye relief at 6x and is about a constant 4" at all powers plus it gives a better image quality edge to edge. The warranty is free replacement/no questions asked I understand. HOPE this helps ya.

til later

Fred Meyer used to carry Sightron scopes. I haven't looked in a while to see if they still do. May be worth a stop at the gun counter next time your buying groceries.

I've used them for years and love them to death! I would rather have a Sightron then a Leupold. I've gone to all Sightron's and Burris as they have great optics. Have a couple of predator guns with high power Sightron's on them and they are crystal clear. Buy away with no hesitation!!!

Lock Stock and Barrel website has lots of Sightrons to look at.
    Dan

"May the gods keep the wolves in the hills and the women in our beds!" Menalaus -Troy

Default Test of time?

Wonder how they hold up.
    Many seasons on your Sightrons so far?

Sounds like gear worth watching.
    Thanks.

I've got 3 Sightron S2 6-24x42 (AR 15, .22-250 and .25-06). I've shot a buncha rounds with 'em (prairie dogs in the Lower 48) and had zero scope problems. I think they are right on par with Burris Fullfield 2 and a bit better than Leupold's VX-2. No experience with VX-3, but I iagine that might beat out the Sightron.

Thumbs up

I have an SII 3-9x42 mounted on a .338 win mag that I've been pretty happy with and haven't had any problems with it. Elevation and windage adjustments are accurate and after two rough trips, it has always held zero. Has good eye relief. It's not quite as sharp as my Leup. VXIII 2-8x36, but it's close. Picked mine up at Sportmans Warehouse in Anchorage for $220 or so, but I've seen them as low as $185. I'm a little leary about cheaper scopes, but I think you get a lot of scope for the money with this one. Plus I've heard their warranty service is very good. When I bought mine they had an over the counter exchange policy with their dealers, ie. something comes loose in your scope, take it in to the dealer and they swap yours for a new scope. I don't know if that warranty is still in place, but it sounded good to me.

Default Good performance, good value?

Well, so far they sound tough enough. Experience counts for a lot which might still favor scopes more common in AK. But with a good track record here so far, seems Sightrons might be in the hunt () for anyone on a tight budget. Here's more info:

Searching (Google) for Sightron scopes, I found 2 articles from Chuck Hawks; one for the SII series and one for SIII series scopes. The SIII scopes seem to be high quality optics though slightly larger and heavier.
    The SII scopes seem to be the value line for Sightron, which Hawks calls an "excellent value".

Infro from Sightron, Cabelas and SWFA websites (http://www.swfa.com/c-1514-sightron-sii-riflescopes.aspx):

--------------------------------------------Eye Relief------Price
    Sightron SII, 3-9 X 42---------------------3.6-4.2 ------ $200
    Leupold VX-I, 3-9X 40--------------------- 3.7 ---------- $220
    Leupold VX-II,3-9X 40--------------------- 3.7 -----------$300

About the warranty, the Hawks' article states:

SII scopes are covered by Sightron's excellent written Lifetime Replacement Warrantee. This warrantee provides that Sightron will simply replace any product found to be defective due to workmanship or materials with a brand new product. There is no time limit, and the warrantee is not restricted to the original owner.