Thread: Weatherby Vanguard vs Mark V - Accuracy

Default Weatherby Vanguard vs Mark V - Accuracy

Weatherby rifles have a reputation for quality and accuracy too - though you pay to play at the upper end of their line. I wonder how accuracy (or other specific performance) of the Vanguard series compares to the Mark V in anyone's experience? Is the Vanguard nearly as accurate, but just short on polish?

They are both more accurate than I am! I have heard of some vanguards having cracked actions out of the box but I have not seen it myself. I have handled the Mark V's several times and they are fantastic rifles! The problem is so are Sako's and Brownings and I can afford better glass when I buy them...

Here is the smallest and largest three shot groups from nine three shot groups of my hand load out of my Mark V 30-06. My two Vanguards one in 300Wby and one in 300Win mag will not shoot with this Mark V, nor my 300Wby Mark V nor my 375Wby Mark V. Also my Vanguards have never split their stocks nor have I had trouble with those stocks.

Smallest group - first and third shot through bottom hole this was the first group of the nine groups.

This is the largest group of the nine groups and it was the fifth group shot.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Weatherby Vanguard .270 Winchester w/ 3x9 weatherby scope

Never had a lick of trouble, shoots just fine got it down with 140gr loads. Did have a long talk to Weatherby Shooting Tech about breaking in the barrel. It would throw a shoot off every 10 or so. He said call him back after 100 rounds if it ever done it again.
    Never did it again
    ?
    www.piranha.com, Don't Ditch it Re-Pitch It!
    DSC MMSI# 338088288

Default More about Weatherby Vanguard vs Mark V

Impressive accuracy, Beartooth -to say the least! How does anybody top that?
    I suppose factory Wby rifle shooting factory ammo would still shoot accurately (like Lujon said)?

I didn't find much else about accuracy, but found other more general attributes for the Vanguards. Chuck Hawks likes Mark V and Vanguards. Both do have push feed action, but Vanguard rifles have several features in common with Mark V rifles but features which I believe affect reliabilty, safety, not necessarily accuracy:

1. Made by Howa? (Vanguards only)
    2. Mauser action with integral recoil lug and single piece bolt
    3. 3 gas vent holes in the bolt body
    4. Very strong, well made action

(From: Finest Bolt Action Rifles Ever Produced,
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/finest_bolt_actions.htm)

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Impressive accuracy, Beartooth -to say the least! How does anybody top that?
    I suppose factory Wby rifle shooting factory ammo would still shoot accurately (like Lujon said)?

I didn't find much else about accuracy, but found other more general attributes for the Vanguards. Chuck Hawks likes Mark V and Vanguards. Both do have push feed action, but Vanguard rifles have several features in common with Mark V rifles but features which I believe affect reliabilty, safety, not necessarily accuracy:

1. Made by Howa? (Vanguards only)
    2. Mauser action with integral recoil lug and single piece bolt
    3. 3 gas vent holes in the bolt body
    4. Very strong, well made action

(From: Finest Bolt Action Rifles Ever Produced,
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/finest_bolt_actions.htm)

6XLeech, thanks, my Mark V in 300Wby is almost this accurate and my 375Wby is as accurate as my 300Wby. I see you are from Eagle River, that would not be the Eagle river in Arizona would it??
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Got interested in Vanguard accuracy -seems to be well made

No, sorry - not AZ, but AK - about 12 mins from the Birchwood Shooting Range. Put in time there this summer learning to shoot for my first hunt in September. Reading about guns and shooting has been very interesting - much of it on this forum. Some just entertaining, like the Wby thread:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.co/s...698#post291698.
    Thanks for your input (and photos!) as a Weatherby enthusiast.

I read Chuck Hawks website too often and there recently read some flattering things about Wbys. Someday I think I might be in the market for a 30-06 or maybe 25'06/270 just to shoot less expensive ammo. I enjoy shooting.

I can only speak of the Vanguard. I have a 300 Weatherby that consistently shoots 1/2" groups (when I do my job). But it took reloading and finding the right recipe. I was getting 1-1.5" groups with several factory offerings. My buddy told me to order some dies and he would hook me up. Used the 168 gr Hornady Amax. It is a tack driver. And to think I almost sold this rifle off.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Shot target with rifle?

I noticed on the Able Ammo website, they describe Vanguards as "...perhaps the finest rifle value on the market today". Maybe it's just a blurb from the manufacturer, but there it is.

Did they pack a shot target with the rifle?
    Seems like they guarantee 1.5MOA at 100yds out of the box and send a shot target with each rifle as proof?

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    I noticed on the Able Ammo website, they describe Vanguards as "...perhaps the finest rifle value on the market today". Maybe it's just a blurb from the manufacturer, but there it is.

Did they pack a shot target with the rifle?
    Seems like they guarantee 1.5MOA at 100yds out of the box and send a shot target with each rifle as proof?
    Yes on both counts...

The Vanguard is a fine value and very accurate. I have two one a Vanguard synthetic in .300 Weatherby Magnum and a SS Vanguard Laminate in .257 Weatherby Magnum. I also just bought a Mark V Synthetic in .340 WM, but I have a couple of days to go before my CA mandated waiting period is over.