Thread: A (almost) sub-zero photo shoot!

Default A (almost) sub-zero photo shoot!

Wow...what a great morning for a photo shoot. The mist was rising from the Kenai and seals (or otters) were swimming around as well. Didn't get any pics of them, but worked with acquainting myself some more with my D60. I'm loving this camera more and more!

Please, let me know what you think! I'm interested in various perspectives from you all!
    Thanks,
    Kristie

And this is me working on my depth of field....but by the time I took this pic, my fingers were numb, and I was having trouble adjusting the controls.

Default coooool

I just noticed that you post these a week ago and none of the better photographer haven't share some insight to your pictures. I would like to thank you for taking the time braving the cold and sharing them with us. I like them.

Default D60

Awesome!!

I just ordered my D60, I was excited but now I really can't wait. Any problems at all in the cold? I couldn't find anything in any reviews about the cold and its effects.

Hey Kristie, I guess I missed your post, too. Are you shooting jpeg or RAW? I like the first 2 but with the fog rising off the lake, I wonder how it would look with a smaller aperture (in focus). I'm fixin' to head down your way just for the day. Haven't decided if I'm taking all my gear or just my P&S. Keep shootin'!!
    EricL

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

Well congratz on the purchase of your new camera, I bet there is a lot to learn !

Let me offer you some advice, and please do not take this in any negative manner, I am just giving you good advice to begin your quest in the wonderful world of photography.

The first two images although pleasing to look at (colors) and such, you are backlit for your subject matter.

The third image is much better but again your depth of field is lacking.

Try to use your camera at a much higher of smaller aperature. i.e. F 11
    instead of using your lens wide open. ( 1.8 - 2.8 ).

FILL that VIEWFINDER with textured detail - razor sharp !!

Once you consistently do that, it will be very hard to distinguish your work from a pro's !!

Now create and post some more !!

Thanks so much for the feedback.

GITDEMBARS: I didn't notice anything negative with the camera in working it in the cold....it was my darn fingers that had the problem!

Majik: I really appreciate your input. Your advice is ALWAYS taken constructively and I have a lot to learn.

Eric: I'm shooting in JPEG right now....I'm leaning towards the RAW, so I'm sure that transition is upcoming for me.

tboehm: Thanks for your encouragement! Much appreciated.

While it isn't outdoor photography, I was able to do a photo shoot of my 5-day old niece yesterday and got some unbelievably good shots. Surprised even myself!

I've discovered Lightroom and it is FABULOUS!

Thanks again, everyone!

~Kristie~

Default I'm Baaaa-aaaack!

Howdy AKFishinGirl!

Nice to see that you are still at it in regards to getting out there and taking pictures. For me it is great to see your enthusiasm and I share your feelings when it comes to photography. I have been a shutter-nut for over 40-years now and personally the love for this hobby has only grown. I am never bored with it and I will shoot every day when work and weather permits.

I just spent 10-days in Oregon and just got back. I must say that after the Alaska experience I was a bit bored visiting my home state. It is great to be back!!!

Nice shots by the way and keep up the good work and keep shooting!
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"