Thread: Tomorrow is First Day of Kodiak Muzzleloader

Talking Tomorrow is First Day of Kodiak Muzzleloader

I am like a kid the night before Christmas. I can't wait to get out into the woods tomorrow.
    Anyone else here hunting the Kodiak muzzleloader season this year?
    Good Luck!

Yep! The deer are starting to drift down from the backcountry now, so I have high hopes for everyone whose out. Snag a big one Dave! Two of my hunting pards connected on very nice 3-pointers with muzzleloaders in the last week and reported seeing more.

Our turn now, isn't it!

I'm hoping to get out soon. Unfortunately, the doctor just injected my right shoulder Thursday to try and resolve the pain I've had for over two months. I have to wait a few more days to see if it works and to keep from making things worse. Frustrating to say the least! I couldn't shoot my bow nor fly fish this year either. Arggh.

Good luck to you both!

Mike

Well I shot the first deer I came across, and it was a young doe. They look allot bigger until you actually get up to them.
    It will be good eating though. I went with four other guys and one got a real nice size doe. There are more deer out there than I thought. It should be good hunting for the rest of the muzzleloaders here.

Thats great you had good luck 1st day out.

Are you guys remote Kodiak or do you live in town and drive out the road system and shoot?

I was there 20 yrs ago and drove across a road that ended up at a big beach area, but i think that was the only road at the time. There were cattle farms about 3/4 of the way to the end of the road.

I still have a nice 8 point buck i shot on a dead run broadside from our trip there when i was 15. My first deer was doe a day earlier. Someday i would like to take my family and visit kodiak again, even for just the beautiful area.

Also, do you carry a backup gun for bears or are they hybernating?

Dennis

I was on the road system, they have a two week any deer muzzleloader season.
    We hunted in a group so if a bear did come along we would have four shots at him. When I go out as a packer with the group I will carry a pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by akflyfisher View Post
    Well I shot the first deer I came across, and it was a young doe. They look allot bigger until you actually get up to them.
    It will be good eating though. I went with four other guys and one got a real nice size doe. There are more deer out there than I thought. It should be good hunting for the rest of the muzzleloaders here.
    Good going Dave! I was sorely tempted by does, one real fat one in particular that I called in to about 10 feet, but resisted. We saw plenty of does, but no horns. Back out today with my wife. She's never taken one with a muzzleloader and won't shoot does, so the horn hunt is definitely on today.

Quote Originally Posted by 338MUZZLEBREAK View Post
    Are you guys remote Kodiak or do you live in town and drive out the road system and shoot?

Also, do you carry a backup gun for bears or are they hybernating?

Dennis
    We're hunting the muzzleloader season on the road system. Kinda nice with virtually no other hunters around. Our party didn't see another soul, but know of one other in addition to Dave's. Like Dave, they took a doe and are heading back out today.

I'm torn on the backup. The bears are most definitely still out and about right now. "Street smarts" has kept me out of bear trouble for most of the last 35 years, though I have been charged as recently as two years ago. First time with a muzzleloader, and I have to admit it made the 54 I was using then feel puny. I'm carrying a 58 now, but it still feels puny when the bear sign gets thick. I'll probably pack a revolver today just in case since my wife will be along. But as a rule of thumb I usually stay clear of areas I know have lots of bears and back out when I find fresh sign in any area. Each day and each location is a different call.

Congrats Dave! (excuse me for getting your first name from BrownBear's post) Nice to hear you saw a fair amount of deer, and BrownBear's report sounds encouraging too. Makes me anxious. I've been worried this years population would be poor again after last winter's snow.

On another note, I didn't realize you, BrownBear, lived here in Kodiak too. I see Dave's in the CG......from which I just retired. If you guys are interested, drop me a PM with your names.

thanks,
    Mike

Still out hunting myself with no luck, hopeful my wife will be able to get one with the muzzleloader, I really want to shoot one with my bow, but will revert to the muzzleloader next week. Hope everyone is having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by letshunt View Post
    Still out hunting myself with no luck, hopeful my wife will be able to get one with the muzzleloader, I really want to shoot one with my bow, but will revert to the muzzleloader next week. Hope everyone is having fun.
    Doesn't seem to be any shortage of deer when you get into the thick stuff. Passed up a 3x4 this morning because I couldn't get the shot I wanted.

Okay, truth time. When I first saw him he was standing butt toward me with his head down at about 50 yards. I started working sideways for a better angle and his head came up, but just eyes and skullcap over his rump. Two hops straight forward and he was out of sight. So I did pass up a Texas heart shot, but blew it trying to get something else.

Gotta love this stuff! Good luck Letshunt.

what do you mean "revert" to the muzzleloader.

Smile

I prefer my bow, but with my muzzleloader I can triple my effective range. So I will wait until next week to break it out.

Default I finally made it out!

Couldn't wait any longer with the season coming to an end! I had to get out and give the body a trial, and yesterday I connected with a healthy doe. She didn't have a fawn with her so I felt comfortable that I wasn't taking away somebody's mentor.

The cross-country pack out with 90lbs of deer and gear was the worst. The "shortcut" as usual turned out to be not so short with all the ups and downs. Plus, the light layer of snow turned most everything slippery, which planted me on my butt and other areas of my body repeatedly. Watching me come down those slopes should have made a bunch of critters laugh their butts off! My body is telling me a story every time I move today. But it's all good. I'm sure she'll taste great, and it was a beautiful day!

Mike