Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Small Utility ATV for my purposes

Default Best Small Utility ATV for my purposes

I'm looking at the Prairie 4x4, Rancher 4x4, and King Quad 400 4x4. I don't want belt drive. I'll use it for trail riding and plowing snow. I can live without IRS. Which quad has the best 4x4 system that truly locks all 4 wheels? I don't gather that any of them have a low range from their websites, is this true? Is the Honda really the most reliable, or are they all pretty good? What's your favorite, and why?

Prairie is a belt drive...so it's between the Suzuki and the Rancher. Neither the Suzuki or Honda offer a locking front differential on those 400's. The belt drive Cats and Kawasakis in 400's offer a locking front diff, but Cat discontinued the 400 for '09. The new 366 Cat does not have a locking front diff. I personally will never own another shifter ATV and have no issues with my belt drive Cat 500.

Default Rancher

I have a 05 Rancher 350 with electric shift. I had to get a wheeler to plow snow with first and foremost but also wanted to use it for hunting, recreation, Chitina, etc. I installed a 54" Warn plow, #2500 warn winch, and 25" mudlites on it and it plows great. Always enough power for FBKS snow and a pleasure to ride for for the fun stuff. No doubt it won't do what the fully locked, independant, 700 machines will do, but mine was slightly used for $3500. Anyway, I like my Rancher for my needs and it's a HONDA! Works great.

If you want a manual shifter I wouldn't overlook the Yammi Big Bear. Factory mud lites, IRS, 400 cc and a very low 1st gear. No locker but that is the standard for the 400cc catagory... I think they are still running the free winch deal as well!

If you are just going to be trail riding and plowing I can't imagine getting much use out of the locker...I plow with an old 1992 suzuki King quad 300 with a 60" blade. (and yes, it has plowed very well for 16 years) The machine has a locker and over 10,000 miles, I've never needed the locker, the only time I used it was just messing around...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    If you want a manual shifter I wouldn't overlook the Yammi Big Bear. Factory mud lites, IRS, 400 cc and a very low 1st gear. No locker but that is the standard for the 400cc catagory... I think they are still running the free winch deal as well!
    The maual says I have "differential gear lock" on my 2008 Big Bear, that isn't that a true locker.......or?????

Perhaps I stand corrected! I didn't realize they added Diff lock. My 05' Kodiak is essentially the same rig only with an auto and mine doesn't have the diff lock feature in the "on command" 4x4 system. Well at $5600 that makes it an even better deal!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Thanks for the ideas. After looking around some more, I'm going to go for the Big Bear. I can get a brand new 09 for $4500 around here. My last ATV was a 3 wheeler, so that gives you some idea how long it's been. I'm sure this will be a huge improvement. Anyone have a preference on plow setups? We had 2 storms last year with 14" of snow each, I assumed a locker would be nice for pushing that much but I have no experience, so maybe it's overkill. Regardless, IRS and locker can't hurt, right?

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Default go drive one with belt drive!

It might just change you mind! I for one will never go back to a manual or even an electric shift. When we got our Honda 450ES I said (and still believe) it was the best thing going at that time, and I swore I would never buy another manual shift machine! Then years later when we sold off the Honda I bought a Suzuki King Quad 700 EFI............. so now I say, that I will never by anything that isnt EFI and belt drive! They are far more enjoyable to operate and so simple that a total novice can learn to safely operate one in a very short time.

Obviously money is a huge factor, but if it wasnt, and I was looking for a new machine, it would have IRS, EFI, EPS and at least 700 CC's. My manditory add on's are heated grips, mirrors, horn and reverse light.

As far as diff lock goes, my Honda didnt have it, and it did just fine over any kind of stuff I ever rode it in. My Suzuki has it, but to tell the truth, I only used it messing around. I have never actually NEEDED it.........

Go for a ride on a belt drive before you make up your mind. I think you will be pleasantly suprized.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Don't forget to go look at the new 09 RancherAT's with the power steering, EFI, IRS, Traxlox, there's no belt as it us shaft driven. For trail riding and plowing snow I don't see the need for diff lock either.

Call me old fashioned, but I like shifting. I've ridden a Polaris with CVT or whatever they call it, and I just don't care for it. As far as diffy lock, well, maybe I'll never need it, but for the good deal I'm getting it doesn't hurt my feelings. Thanks for all the input....anyone have thoughts on a plow setup? Warn seems to be pretty standard, any other brands I should consider?

Smile

If you don't mind shifting you will not find a better performing more reliable wheeler with diff lock for the money than the Yamaha Big Bear. I've put well over 700 miles on mine in the year I have owned it. No problems the things are dang near bullet proof(this is why they have not changed the drivetrain in years). Do the research as I did and I belive you will come to the same conclusions.

Went for the 08 Bear. I pick it up tomorrow. I'll take it out late next week and thrash it and report back!

Thanks again!

I've read good things about the Viper winches, I plan to set it up with a 3500lb and a cycle country blade. For 140$ vs. 400 for a Warn, it's worth a try.

Fishfood,
    Just this weekend I set up my ATV with the 3000# Viper and their instructions and mounting bracket are very good. I've only toyed around with the winch so far but all the hardware looked skookum.

Quote Originally Posted by akjack View Post
    Fishfood,
    Just this weekend I set up my ATV with the 3000# Viper and their instructions and mounting bracket are very good. I've only toyed around with the winch so far but all the hardware looked skookum.
    Sounds encouraging! I ended up ordering the 3k as well. What ATV do you have it on? My one concern is whether the fairlead roller will stick out far enough to clear the bumper (the winch mounts behind the bumper on a factory plate evidently), because I need to be able to pull more or less straight up to pick a plow. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

The new winch is great! Fits perfectly, and already had a chance to use it. Why anyone would shell out 400 bucks for a Warn is beyond me.

Took it out riding last week. Here in Mich. you can only ride on designated trails so the trails are more for sport quads i.e whoops, jumps, and HUGE berms. Once I figured out that it was pointless fighting all that weight, I was able to ride quite fast and even got airborne a couple times. Took it to a sand pit and got stuck on purpose, locked all 4 wheels and powered right out, I love it!! The stock tires are awesome compared to what you usually get. One complaint is the gearing, wow, it really needs another gear. Wide open sections of trail had me winding out in 5th and the motor had plenty of power, just not enough gears!

Plow should arrive today, and snow is not far away, bring it on!!

Larger tires will help the gearing issue a good bit. I picked up my plow friday and I need to make a run to get a mounting kit in the morning so I can put it on. I think the front end is pretty much the same between your BB and my Kodiak so I am very interested in the fitment of the new winch. Could you post some pics of your Viper install?

Quote Originally Posted by fishfood View Post
    The new winch is great! Fits perfectly, and already had a chance to use it. Why anyone would shell out $250 bucks for a Warn is beyond me.

Took it out riding last week. Here in Mich. you can only ride on designated trails so the trails are more for sport quads i.e whoops, jumps, and HUGE berms. Once I figured out that it was pointless fighting all that weight, I was able to ride quite fast and even got airborne a couple times. Took it to a sand pit and got stuck on purpose, locked all 4 wheels and powered right out, I love it!! The stock tires are awesome compared to what you usually get. One complaint is the gearing, wow, it really needs another gear. Wide open sections of trail had me winding out in 5th and the motor had plenty of power, just not enough gears!

Plow should arrive today, and snow is not far away, bring it on!!
    There, fixed it for you. You might think Warn's are spendy but when you end up having to replace your "Viper" winch because something broke internally, you'll wish you had spent the $250 on a Warn.

You can't get a 3000 lb Warn for anything close to 250$. My "cheap" winch came with a cover, remote, fairlead roller, snatch block, etc. 140 with shipping.

What's that sticky at the top of the forum? WARN winch recall. More expensive isn't always better. I read lots of reviews and the Warns get more negative feedback than the Vipers. Time will tell.

I bought a Tusk blade based on all the reviews as well, want to bash that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast