Thread: Coyote hunting

Default Coyote hunting

Anyone want to share a little info?
    Never hunted them up here before.
    Just wondering where a good area would be??

Thanks
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by motorboatn View Post
    Anyone want to share a little info?
    Never hunted them up here before.
    Just wondering where a good area would be??

Thanks

x2
    used to love hunting coyotes back onthe farm would like to do it again!

Thanks,
    Ryan

I've seen 1 in my life in Alaska, so don't expect much... They are out there but there are really not very many... Also check out the predator hunting forum...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    They are out there but there are really not very many.
    There are waaaaaay more than you may realize, Patrick. Go take a look around the Matanuska or Knik river banks a day or two after a fresh snowfall. The coyote population, particularly around population centers (and even within Anchorage itself) has grown greatly in numbers over the past decade or so. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they're not there.

I've seen fox, a wolf, and yotes since Ive lived here .... Just waiting till I can officially hunt to take 'em out...

shot a xfox off this morning in my yard as my dog just barked at it ... this is the second time Ive seen this fox...

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Saw a yote this weekend, but sorry I'm not going to release it's location, because I'm gonna take a whack at him.

Default Best spots

Best spot ive found for coyotes and lynx and fox is between tok and delta junction. Their is a HUGE booming population of rabbits right now saw around 200 or more rabbits in the hour long drive... predators are always where the prey is most abundant.

Default lots of them

Just get out and walk around, sutton ,houston talkeetna shot several last winter up and down the big su, yetna there everywhere!
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I've seen a couple in town when I'd commute by bicycle - once in the Ak Regional parking lot and once near International and C. Both were in the wee hours of the morning.

See them around Eagle River rather often. I had to break to keep from hitting one this week. I will say this; they do not seem to be as vocal at night as they are in the lower 48. Anyone else think this to be true?

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFSTER View Post
    See them around Eagle River rather often. I had to break to keep from hitting one this week. I will say this; they do not seem to be as vocal at night as they are in the lower 48. Anyone else think this to be true?
    Yes this is true, there are not as vocal because there are not many wolves in the lower 48. Down there they are the top dog. Up here they have to look over their sholder to see if something bigger wants to kill them.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

JEFFSTER
    I got a call at 6am wednesday of last week from a buddy that tried his brakes, switching lanes and everything but still got one. Now it's mine. I like them delivered to me that way. Broke a little piece of the bumper on his Volkswagen Bug.
    I have heard them get vocal in various places when we go calling and also messing with them during moose season. Locally they seem a little more vocal with not as many wolves around. In one of our calling spots they won't make a peep, but there are allot of wolves in that area. Out moose hunting when we can get the coyotes going (or sometimes when they start on their own) the wolves kick in and they shut up with a quickness. Wolves will stay going for a minute and then they are done. I think it translates into "be glad you still are walking in this valley, right now we are after something bigger and tastier but if you don't quit with that annoying yapping you'll soon be a blood spot and a pile of fur"

I hear coyote howls on just about every other predator hunting trip. It's almost as if they are saying, "you arn't fooling us." But unless I am calling I don't hear a peep from them.