Thread: Commercial boat owner question

Default Commercial boat owner question

I was informed this summer by a (certain dept. that gives me a hard time every year ) That I need a commercial DMV tag on my boat trailer and truck . Our DMV said they did not think so , But I can not find out anything online. If you have a link let me know or P.M me I'm trying to get ready for next spring so I do not have any surprises waiting for me at the river at the start of the season

Thanks
    Roger
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Charterboat Operator

Can guarantee you that in order to get a Commercial Operator Permit, to use any of the penninsula's state parks that you WILL have to have a commercial registration for your tow vehicle and trailer. been that way for many years. Link attached.

http://www.borough.kenai.ak.us/Kenai...ptions.htm#use

could not tell you about the rest of the state,

Roger, even on my small commercial trailers I am required to have an annual inspection sticker and commercial licensing. The best part is that commercial registration is a once in a lifetime (for the trailer) deal.

The new rules on commercial vehicles state that anything with a GCVWR of over 10,000# for commercial use will need inspections, licensing, and a USDOT number even if the driver is not required to have a commercial vehicle license for the truck. GCVWR means gross combined vehicle weight rating. They have been nabbing guys left and right this summer for pickups towing trailers that would put the combination over 10,000#. Unfortunately, your truck and trailer combination would exceed 10,000# and you fall under these rules. On a side note, your combination does not have to weight 10,000# to fall under these rules, just that the combination has the ability to do so.

Now, what I have stated above is what they told me. If you look it up you will find that the wording says the vehicle must have a vehicle weight rating of 10,001# to fall under this and that the trailer doesn't seem to count for the licensing side of things. A combination totalling over 10,001# would still have to stop at the scales. My company has decided to err on the side of caution and use the definition in the paragraph above.

I know for a fact that your buses, even the one you used to haul wheelers would fall under the commercial vehicle licensing requirements.

I would suggest calling Commercial Vehicle enforcement at 907-365-1210 or go to the website at http://dot.alaska.gov/mscve/main.cfm and get it straight from the horses mouth.

BTW.. Dan should be taking over the F&W enforcement for the area here really soon as Doug has transferred.

Thanks Doug sent you a P.M
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!