Thread: 300 winchester magnum/180 Berger Bullets

Default 300 winchester magnum/180 Berger Bullets

Has anyone here had any experience with 180 grain bullets out of a 300 WinMag??? Main purpose would be medium sized non-dangerous game...the first season will be Alberta Whitetails anf Muleys.....

Boomer.
    Last edited by Boomer.1; 10-30-2008 at 22:04. Reason: berger bullets....oops

Default 180 grain 300 Winnie

Hello Boomer,

In my opinion, the 300 Winnie was made to shoot 180 grain bullets. That is the only round I shoot in my Browning A-Bolt 300 Winchester. I know one can load heavier and/or lighter but the 180 is a great middle of the road, offering good velocity and respectable down range energy.

My little arsenal seems to revolve around the 80's.... I shoot a .243 at 80 grains bullet, the 300 Winchester at 180 grains bullet and most I recently acquired a .358 Norma Magnum that I'll shoot at 280 grains bullet.

I personally try to shoot only the one weight from each caliper so that the computer in my head becomes familiar with one set of ballistics/holdover.

Barnes, Nosler partitions, Swift A-Frames, all good at 180 grains for the 300 Winnie...

Default Bullets

Berger bullets are made for and listed as MATCH bullets,These may give marginal performance on tissue, bone. The best replacement for this might be a Sierra 180 grn Gameking. These bullets have a good BC and decent SD; They are also designed as a hunting bullet. Performance and accuracy has always been outstanding in all the rifles I've owned.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Boomer.1, I agree with EX1811, the 300 winmag does very well with the 180 grain bullets. It is all I shoot out of mine, a Remington 700 BDL. I have shot Antelope to Moose with it. I have three friends that shot grizzly's with a 300 winmag, 2 in Russia and one in Alaska. I am getting into reloading but have used Federal Premium with 180 grain Nosler Partition with good success. Mark

Bergers are an excellent bullet with great accuracy and high BC but not my first choice for a hunting bullet inside of 600 yds, especially out of a high velocity cart like the 300 WM.

They are designed to be very frangible, basically explosive at high velocities. They penetrate a couple of inches and then explode. Some guys actually like this for a hunting bullut, but not me. Too much meat damage and IMO not as reliable as more tough constructed bullet like an ETip, TSX, AB, Sirocco, A Frame, Partition etc. These are all great bullets and would be my choice before a Berger for hunting.

After what I saw happen with a Berger and a .300WinMag on a black bear you couldn't pay me to use them on an animal. 3" of penetration and that was it. Total bullet explosion. They finished the bear with one shot from a .243..that mushroomed, passed through both lungs and finished just under the skin on the other side.

Thumbs up Berger bullets......300 Win Mag...

Well thanks for all the advice...these forums are an awesome resource for end users...all the frilly advertisements mean nothing when it comes to actual hunters and there experiences...thanks again...gonna start reloading for this cartidge this winter...is Winchester once fired acceptable casings..????

Nothing wrong with once fired Winchester casings.