Thread: Whittier Halibut?

Default Whittier Halibut?

I little history prior to my question.....I have a Seaark 18' Footer with a 150 Honda Jet/lower unit. I know that it's not a halibut boat by any means. However, I have picked up halibut on nice days out of Ninilchik on drifts as well as Flat Island out of Homer. (That's far enough for me!)

I have never fished out of Whittier on charter so I don't know the water. Is unrealistic to go out in the main bay of whittier and pick-up a few halibut in July to avoid going to Homer?

I know common sense goes a long way and I'm no dare devil.

Yah or Nay

Thanks in Advance.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

For what it's worth, I don't fish out of Whittier since I live in Homer, but while working I saw a guy hook and land a halibut that was everybit of 175# about 100 yards from the ferry dock this past July. That was the only halibut I have seen caught there though.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanmoosehunter View Post
    I little history prior to my question.....I have a Seaark 18' Footer with a 150 Honda Jet/lower unit. I know that it's not a halibut boat by any means. However, I have picked up halibut on nice days out of Ninilchik on drifts as well as Flat Island out of Homer. (That's far enough for me!)

I have never fished out of Whittier on charter so I don't know the water. Is unrealistic to go out in the main bay of whittier and pick-up a few halibut in July to avoid going to Homer?

I know common sense goes a long way and I'm no dare devil.

Yah or Nay

Thanks in Advance.
    You're a lot bettor off most of the time in Prince William Sound in a smaller boat then you would be out of Homer. Flat Island is a good run in a bigger boat...seas can get nasty on the point with the changing tide, too.

Anyway...point is, you can go a long way out of Whittier and be in almost totally protected waters, so from a safety standpoint you're fine. Unless you get major wind, the seas rarely hit 3 feet, and are usually almost flat. If you run into heavier seas, there's usually a cove nearby to hole up in.

As for catching halibut, it's really hit and miss unless you have a hole dialed in already. Part of the problem is it is so freakin' deep it's hard to find fishable depths that aren't going to already be fished out. There are some pretty consistent holes way out near the big islands, but that's a long run. The plus side is that you've got a pretty good chance of lings and rockfish. Whittier, or Prince William Sound in general, is not my first choice for halibut by a longshot...but for silvers, whale watching, rockfish, and impressing the hell out of out-of-staters with scenery and wildlife it usually can't be beat.

Whitter is a hit or miss place unless you make a long run.. The close spots that tend to produce more often then not, are very well kept a secret.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Northern Culross Passage

How about 125# @ 120' of water on 17# test line. Think you'd be surprised where to catch them. More folks run right over to go many extra miles out. ? Done this same thing at Decision Point Thumbs, Shotgun & out in front of Whittier, mostly later in the season. So fish where you can get to the bottom, yes more hit & miss butt
    Last edited by alaskapiranha; 11-29-2008 at 12:56.

Whittier is really just not a halibut place. It doesn't have the right type of bottom, current and most of it is too deep. There are a few. Key word is FEW.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskapiranha View Post
    How about 125# @ 120' of water on 17# test line. Think you'd be surprised where to catch them. More folks run right over to go many extra miles out. ? Done this same thing at Decision Point Thumbs, Shotgun & out in front of Whittier, mostly later in the season. So fish where you can get to the bottom, yes more hit & miss butt
    Nice catch...I've had similar, sometimes unexpected results in waters where the halibut really aren't "supposed" to be. I was chilling out behind Yukon Island eating lunch, and had a rig really close to what you had...17 lb test on a baitcaster...decided to drop a little mooching hook down with some bait for kicks. Ended up with a 65-70 lb halibut on board that ended up being the biggest fish of the weekend. You just never know what you'll catch if you don't try.

Got a 50 lb king out of Seward right on the bottom in 100 feet of water in '07...20 lb test, mooching for silvers. Had just dropped the weight to the bottom to start bringing it up through a school of silvers, and off it went....

I've found a few places while bear hunting. It was raining and I couldn't get anyone else to try so I did. Took 20 minutes to get the first 25 pounder in the boat. A fried caught a 105 pounder in the same place the next week. So yes, it can be done. We were in a 20 foot boat about an hour out of Whittier in protected waters. I've also fished with a charter out of Whittier the last five years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    I've found a few places while bear hunting. It was raining and I couldn't get anyone else to try so I did. Took 20 minutes to get the first 25 pounder in the boat. A fried caught a 105 pounder in the same place the next week. So yes, it can be done. We were in a 20 foot boat about an hour out of Whittier in protected waters. I've also fished with a charter out of Whittier the last five years.
    I agree that with just a little patience and a good map you will get into them pretty quickly. However, I have never had hot, heavy, and crazy action in PWS like I have out our Seward and Homer. But, none the less, you can fill a cooler in PWS very quickly.

Default bill

hey Bill - who have you been using out of whittier for a charter? Must like them to keep going back.... What kind of fish have they put you on?

I caught one once outta whittier not bad for about 20 hours of fishing
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

If you time it right there is a sand bar right outside of Main Bay that can have halibut. Timing is key here.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

we have caught halibut on a regular bases out of whittier and only about an hour out. But if I let you all know where, I wont be..sorry. But they are there. I try a new place everytime on my way out just to see what I can find.

That is one thing I learn last year. to try a new place each time I go out.... One thing that really paid off this past year was to really study the maps. I could not believe how many spots I passed over each time I went out.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I agree Grey you motor right on over them most times.