Thread: Small game gun

Default Small game gun

I was thinking of buying a new small game gun after my brother buys my 7 mm mag next month. I was wondering if any one has any experience with the new Remington SPR94 410/22 combo or the Taurus Judge 45/410 mainly with rabbit hunting and grouse.

Default The Judge

Aarron at Gator Guns said you would have to pretty close to game to use the Judge for hunting. He said because the barrell is so short the pattern spreads pretty rapidly. He thought that beyond about 30 ft. the Judge wouldn't be too useful.

I'd say if you don't have a good shotgun, get a pump in 20 or 12 ga. If you want a handgun, get a good 22 pistol.

Those combo guns, both the rifle and hangun are neat in principle, but in practice you find most tools that are designed to do a multiple of tasks, are a host of compromises that don't do any one task well.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Shucks, I didn't even know bout thet Remington SPR94, so I looked it up.

What is interesting to me is the fact that the Shootgun barrel is on top, unlike the Savage combo gun. I think that would be good, because it would function primarilly like a shotgun.

If you're happy with a 410, and Iron sights for the .22 and the sights are adjustable, and you do hunt small game, it sounds like a winner to me, even though I don't have any experience with one.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Depending on what you get for your 7mm you could probably buy a used pump 12ga and a used .22 rifle with the money.

Default small game gun

I have a 12 and 20 ga 870 But some times later in the winter those stubborn rabbits will sit right in front of you and not move. if you wait to long after they finely run you loose them in the brush but if you shoot to soon you waist the meat. I always thought it would be nice to have a 22 to pop those sitting rabbits. A hand gun would work but I thought an over under would be nice as I would only have to Cary one gun.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by little dave View Post
    I have a 12 and 20 ga 870 But some times later in the winter those stubborn rabbits will sit right in front of you and not move. if you wait to long after they finely run you loose them in the brush but if you shoot to soon you waist the meat. I always thought it would be nice to have a 22 to pop those sitting rabbits. A hand gun would work but I thought an over under would be nice as I would only have to Cary one gun.
    That's good thinkin, little dave.
    You must have a beeg brain.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

If a bunny is just standing there and you have a shotgun you need to learn to aim in front of the head. Learn to hit the head with just the edge of the pattern instead of the whole shot column.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default How's your throwing arm?

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    If a bunny is just standing there and you have a shotgun you need to learn to aim in front of the head. Learn to hit the head with just the edge of the pattern instead of the whole shot column.
    It might be sporting to carry a few good rocks in your pocket. If your throwing arm is not up to the task, a slingshot might be able to reach out and touch one.

Just a thought.

Lost Sheep

Goll dang it I hate biting into a fuzzball wrapped around a BB and I ain't into slicing the whole critter up into paper thin slabs just so I don't miss a pellet. Like my pappy always said scatterguns is for shootin stuff what flies and raggits caint fly!

Get yourself a good 22 in either a hand gun or rifle. If its a handgun the learning curve is simple, just shoot it bunches. I killed three fox squirrels this afternoon with my Single Six. I could have killed a dozen had I been packing a shotgun.

It boils down to are you simply filling the freezer or after the thrill of mastering something that is challenging...and there is room for both as long as you don't mind blowing hair through the meat! If they are sitting tight enough that you have to think about hitting their head with only half the scattergun pattern then they are close enough for a handgun!

Great northern had one of the savage 22/410 combos on their nearly new rack today. Would make a dandy small game gun. Personally I can't remember the last thing I shot with a shotgun, its all done with a 22 rifle.