Thread: Drive my truck to kodiak

Default Drive my truck to kodiak

Would it be a worth while trip to take my 8 year old daughter and my truck and 4x4 atv to kodiak and try to hunt blacktail. Looks like if you get to saltry cove you are off the "road system"

Anyinfo help would be great.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

I have considered doing it myself. The Saltery area gets hit pretty hard by everyone, but it would still be fun. Would I do it with my 9 y.o. daughter this time of year? Nope..but every kid is different. I'd do it in a minute with my older two kids, though, if I had the time this year.

If the road system was not shut down by Leisnoi I would recommend it during the muzzleloader season but now there is very little hunting to be had along the road.

The road to saltry cove is tough on a truck in the summer let alone in the winter. The trail at the pass is now iced over and a friend with a jeep could not make it up the hill.

If you bring a four wheeler along, you may may be able to make it out. Yes a lot of people do hunt the area but if you are patient you will find game a plenty.

Default Saltry Cove

About three years ago I went on a 4 wheeler hunt in Kodiak. Went over American Pass to Saltry Cove. If you go over the creek/river at Saltry Cove you are off the road system. I did have enough luck to shoot one deer on a daytrip. It is quite a ride on 4 wheelers and the trail is basically gone that used to go across the pass. I don't know if it is any better than it was back then, but flooding had done a whole lot of destruction to the trail. Where you park out toward Bells Flats there is a really bad mud hole that you have to navigate, I think the locals called it the million dollar mud hole due to the amount of off road equipment lost in it. I don't think I would try that trip without somebody that has done it. Really hard to find all of the crossings and such. My friend that took me through the pass told me that it is possible to come in from Pasagshak but that trail is much more difficult than coming over American Pass. If I can give you any other information let me know.

It might be cheaper to hire a bushplane instead of taking atvs and a truck to kodiak... I think a small car is like 250 bucks each way...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

If you have Alaska airline miles to get to Kodiak for free, then a flight might be cheaper. My flight cost a little over $1000 for my son and I with Seahawk, but I booked way early in the year.

Default Getting back is important too.

Please don't forget that getting to Saltery is only half the trip too. During the summer, we get a few groups that don't plan well, and they get stuck out there when the American river swells from a good rain. Those that aren't prepared to stay and wait for the river levels to come down have on occasion gotten picked up by the Coast Guard.

This time of the year, snow in the pass could ruin your return.....even in an atv. If you get out there and have enough snow dropped in the pass (which could be rain or mix at Saltery), you may end up donating your atv and taking a long walk out since you don't have anyone along to help. Probably not the kind of memorable hunt you want to have with your daughter.

Recommend you follow akflyfisher's advice and check other options. A trip to Saltery is better earlier in the year.....before the snow and ice build up.