Thread: montague island

Question montague island

I am going to montague next monday. Any good news from there? Or bad... Thanks

I was at Port Chalmers last week. Saw lots of deer sign, but very few deer. Shot a buck and a doe. Had a close encounter with a big brownie. A case of we almost had each other. We found some bear tracks in the snow in front of the cabin on our next to last night there. Weather alternated every day between really nice and really bad. When we left on Saturday morning, there was about 2 inches of snow and more falling.

Get one of the registration bear tags. That way if you have to pop one you don't have to deal with the DLP paperwork.

Montague will always have deer. Some years you just have to work harder than others.

Where is Port Chalmers, geographically, on Montague? I am heading out there with a group of 6 next weekend for 5 or 6 days and we are headed to the north side of the island. Reason I ask is that I'll be carrying a .243 this year and I'm debating whether or not to bring my .44 for the just in case. Last year we saw no bear sign on the north end of the island, but that doesn't mean they aren't there...

I would advise bringing the .44 or a larger rifle regardless of the location of Port Chalmers on the island, the Brown Bear could show up anywhere anytime

Default information

What is the lastest one can get out to Montague or latouch in Nov or Dec for bear or deer. Not season wise but sence able wearther wise. I won't get back from overseas until Nov 21 and would like to get the boat out on a hunt if possible. Thanks for the help

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Port Chalmers is on the west side on the north end of the island. It is right where the strange looking peninsula is. I would suggest something larger than a .243, but if that is all you have, I would carry the revolver all the time.

All you need to do is read through the log at the cabin to know how often the bears come around the cabin, outhouse, etc.

I was thinking about taking my bow and carry my 45. what do you think is a 45. enough to do the job?

All depends on your level of comfort. I hunted there in '06 for three days the first week of November with nothing but my bow and no backup..then the last 3 days with my 45-70 and no bow because the snow was so crunchy I couldn't get a stalk close enough.

Default Condition of Cabin

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    I was at Port Chalmers last week. Saw lots of deer sign, but very few deer. Shot a buck and a doe. Had a close encounter with a big brownie. A case of we almost had each other. We found some bear tracks in the snow in front of the cabin on our next to last night there. Weather alternated every day between really nice and really bad. When we left on Saturday morning, there was about 2 inches of snow and more falling.

I have it reserved from the 7-11th next week. How was the condition of the cabin? Did you boat in or fly in, curious how the anchorage is, good bottom or do I need to worry about the boat being left in the water? Also snow condition? Was there much down low or still pretty bare. Thanks for the input and congrats on your hunt. You got pics? Andy
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

Lightbulb Port Chalmers Cabin

We left it better than we found it. It was filled with garbage inside and out when we showed up. There were also 3 deer hides/heads on the beach. On the second to last night, a bear grabbed one of those hides and dragged it into the woods to chew on for a bit. Didn't see the bear, but his back paw was about 12" long. Maybe a bear expert can equate that to the bear size. We burned or hauled out all our garbage and left 5 gallons of fuel in the stove and a big stack of wood in the cabin to dry out a bit.

The big hand saw in the cabin isn't doing to well. We sharpened it and angled the teeth the best we could. It can still use more work. A vice would help a lot. Better yet, bring a chainsaw. There are a few dead trees close to the cabin that are on the ground. Two by the outhouse and two larger trees about 50 yards behind the cabin.

We burned about 10 gallons of fuel (and left an additional 5 gallons) in a week. We also burned the wood stove to help heat the cabin and heat water for doing dishes, etc.

There was a little snow on the ground when we left, but not much and the weather was changing dramatically while we were there. It could all be gone at this point or it could be a foot thick. The snow was all the way down to the beach, but heavier the higher you went.

I took two deer. One was to the right of the big hill right in front of the cabin, maybe 5 miles away. The other was in the fields behind the cabin. If the weather is ok, you might consider tenting it to hunt dawn/dusk a little better. I found deer tracks on the beach behind the cabin on the Montague Straight side.

We had a boat drop us off (Alaska Goodtime Charters, Fool's Gold). Very good service. When the tide was out, it was WAY OUT. The difference between high and low tide can be a 1/2 mile or more. I don't know much about boating, but I would think this is a difficult proposition for leaving a boat tied up all week. The bottom was mostly muddy. If you can time your arrival for high tide or close to it, you can save a lot of walking. Low tide will mean close to a 1/2 mile walk even if you are using a zodiac or something like we did.

The little bay is still shallow at high tide, so be careful when approaching in a larger boat (the Fool's Gold is about 40' long). The bay was also pretty calm even when the weather was crappy, so you wouldn't have to worry too much about waves and that from what I saw.

Oh yeah...the outhouse is getting full. I am going to call the forest service to let them know. Maybe they are planning on digging a new one or emptying it....

If you are in the Anchorage area, drop me a PM so I can fill you in on a little more stuff.

Default Chalmers

I have anchored my 22' Searunner in front of the cabin and let it go dry. It is a good holding bottom. I have not been there when the weather is really bad to see how rough it gets in front of the cabin but some areas out there do williwa very badly, like Double Bay on Hinchenbrook. There are plenty of bears in this area, I have seen them on the beach the last two times I have been out.

What about calling has anyone had any luck with buck grunts or rattle bags.

Fawn bleats are the best call for blacktail.

Bleat calls are without a doubt the best doe call! But not always the best buck call. Pre-rut late October rattle horns/bags work very well as do grunt calls. I wouldn’t over look rattling when the rut is hot and heavy ether with a little bleat calling. Don’t get me wrong bleat calls work great sometimes I don’t go hunting with out them. I have never called a big buck in using the bleat, although lots of big bucks have fallen to the bleat and I have friends who have called in big ones however I have called in doe’s with a big bucks following her and killed them….I wouldn’t over look bleats/rattling/grunting it all will help ya if done right!

Default Thanks for the Info

I am heading over in the morning thanks for all the info. It was very useful. I will let you know how it goes. thanks again