Thread: Finding an area...

Default Finding an area...

I am trying to find an area not too far from Wasilla to put out a small line with my daughters for fox/coyote (snares)/marten(box sets)/lynx(cubbies). I really don't want to step on anyones toes and invade an area already being trapped. When I trapped in Willow, I had the advantage of our property backing up to state land with no established trails for a couple miles. I have an idea or two for where to start a walk in line, but how does one make sure there isn't another trapper in the area? I really don't want to find someone hacked off and tearing up my sets.

I'm not really able to run a line 40 miles from the house with my kids is the main problem.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Just set it

If you are in an area that someone else is trapping then you'll know soon enough, if its public land then you have just as much right to be there as they do.

Supporting Member

Default Trapping area

I've been trapping the Palmer area along the Matanuska River and the Palmer Hayflats (below the Glenn highway on the Wasilla-side of the Matanuska) since 1994 and I know there are others that trap there as well. While I have had some challenges with other trappers setting close to my sets, it was usually an honest mistake and when they realized it, they moved off a bit. That being said, while any public land off the road system is fair game, it probably is already being trapped and it can be fairly competitive.
    I would suggest walking the Palmer Hayflats (muskrat, ermine, mink and canids) and particularly the lower end off the Fairview Loop access point. Another area might be the Palmer side of the Hayflats along the Matanuska River. While there are few, if any Marten, in the area, you should find enough other species to keep the girls interested. Best of luck!
    Rick

So AKtrpr, you dont believe in respecting other trapper's established lines? Seems like its only common courtesy to avoid setting an area where there is already trapping sign. Kind of like sitting down 100 yds from someone whos calling a moose and hunting .....I would think a little scouting in the first few weeks will show whether or not someone is using an area.

I would even say that it would be cool to do some setting and if on your checks, your sets are messed with or someone comes in and says its "his" area, then move on or work with them to not step on each others toes.

[quote=AKtrpr;358682]If you are in an area that someone else is trapping then you'll know soon enough, if its public land then you have just as much right to be there as they do.[/quote]

I may be interpreting this wrong, but are you kidding????

Go in and scout first and watch for others sets, but if you see someone's gear there dont set on top of em. Yeah its public but there is a little common sense and courtesy needed here. If someone else is already trapping that area before you...move your line away from his or pick another area.

YOU BOTH NEED TO COOL YOUR JETS!!! Matbe Iwasnt clear enough. What i meant and I reread my earlier post, is go out in find anm area, "IF YOU FIND AN AREA WITH NO SIGNM OF SETTING THEN SET IT"

No problems, AKtr, I just read into your post that you were saying "get after it" even if theres traps already there. Like I said,if theres no sign of others, set it and then be a sport if someone comes in and says your in his spot...jmo

Actually, I have a problem with it. No traps doesn't necessarily mean it's not being trapped or someone isn't trapping it. That person could be resting their line OR they could be waiting for fur to prime up.

It's best just to ask around. If you can't find any info, then set it. If you are on someone's toes, you'll find out soon enough.

Default public ground

akmud you have as much right as I, if you don't see activity from someone, set it up you have as much right as the next guy
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

This is an ongoing conflict with trap lines, especially when you are close to town. A good trapper will identify your sets with the quickness and its not hard to tell where a guy has dismounted a sled and walked off the trail a little ways to work a set either. The issue is that some guys have had their lines on well used trails (trails which are appealing to a new trapper) for many years and when you plop down on em , they get a little upset. I wish you luck that close to town finding somewhere that you arent stepping on someones toes (at least in their mind). Old trappers are a funny bunch, I have seen hostility over a line being set in an area of public land that the supposed trapper that had his line there years ago which he hasn't used in years and still gets all fired up to find out someone is trapping there (even though he isn't working it), like they are managing the public land all by themselves at their conveneience. Be courteous , but understand that some folks truly believe they own the public land......ALL OF IT!, which couldn't be farther from the truth.

This bringup an interesting point that most will see as a conflict. I have no problem respecting others traping areas, especially on public land, but when you have a trapper claiming to rest 5 out of six areas he or she is trapping then I say that in itself is a load of crap, you cannot legally tie up public land and claim no one else can use it or trap it. especially road trapping.

Default General Guideline/Protocol

One of the Instructors at Fairbanks' recent trapping school suggested a good rule of thumb. If the line has not been trapped in the last three years it is probably available. However, this will not apply to every situation. "How close is too close?" is often an ethical question.

I would say putting out lynx sets right on top of your line within 50 feet would be too close, as I found last night on one of my lines, pretty unethical to me, but thats how some trappers roll?