Thread: Db219/db119

Thumbs up Db219/db119

I'm heading to Zachar Bay on the 16 of november. I drew out on a Brownie!!! any suggestions for hunting in this area. I' m new to this kind'a
    thing and would appreciate any suggestions.

Default Contacts

Congratulations on getting a Kodiak bear permit. I had the Zachar Bay permit in the spring many years ago. I would call F&G in Kodiak and find out who guides in that area. Karl Braendal used to be the guide and he was helpful. Contact the Zachar Bay Lodge and see what services/info they can provide. Call Seahawk air or Andrews airservice for your air taxi. Make sure you get dropped off at high tide so you don't have to haul your camp as far. The bay really empties out at low tide. If you rent a zodiak/skiff you will want to plan when and where you anchor the boat depending on the tides. There are two main rivers coming into the bay and you will likely be hunting one or both of them depending on how much time you have to spend. There may be cabins to rent to give you a break from the weather and the darkness. Enjoy the experience!!!!

talk to the fisheries bio as well, and get the low down on which creeks get the fish the most, silvers or dogs. your going pretty late so you'll want to stack it in your favor as much as you can. talk to john crye at fish and game like mentioned above and be ready to be out before daylight and back right after dark, your daylight will be limited now and the bears have been hunted for three weeks, so they'll be getting pretty nocturnal. watch for where they are bedding, they'll be spending alot of time sleeping these days, glass the hillsides and alder patches for them snoozin'. and as always don't run all over the place, find a good spot to glass and park it there ALL day, the more you move, the more you educate the bears that you are there and they'll act accordinly.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

We are staying at the Zacher bay lodge, at the old cannery. AKhuntinfool, I ordered a Havalon knife that you had suggested in one of your other postings, and it'll be here this week. We have 8 in our party, everyone is hunting the Black tail deer except me. I have 3 resident brothers so that will be my guide.
    Brwnbr, this info is awesome to me, and Ill start checking it out. We arrive at Zacher on the 16th. Wow, any more info you can give me would be appreciated. Thanks to all.

shoot you'll have 7 other guys out scouting for you too! usually that time of year if you see a bear, he'll be around for a day or so at least, usually. So if someone else spots something head back in there the next day and just sat your self down and glass glass. the down side is your gonna have a ton of human scent floating around and it may cause the bears to go even more nocturnal. Since your outa a lodge, i'm guessing theres been alot of people in the area already. talk to the guys at the lodge and see what they say, they'll have a local knowledge and stories from other hunters on what they saw. could be invaluable. And as always never forget that bears don't know the rules....they don't know that we stink and to run, or that they are nocturnal or should stay away from the lodge. they'll suprise you at the weirdest times...ALWAYS be hunting, never say, well its mid day bears are sleeping...always be hunting.
    i guided for a master guide for 6 years, he said hunt early early and late late, during the day, just sleep. in six years all the bears i killed i killed between 10 am and 5 pm....cause i was awake during the day!
    Master guide 212

Default Kodiak Bear hunt

Listen to Jake. He's knowledgable, has experience and knows his stuff.
    Just read his past post, see his client pictures etc.etc.
    I never met him, i'm a resident and have many trophies and getting at the end of my hunting BUT your(I'm) never too old to learn. Good luck.

Default Want to help

Quote Originally Posted by ZJ View Post
    I'm heading to Zachar Bay on the 16 of november. I drew out on a Brownie!!! any suggestions for hunting in this area. I' m new to this kind'a
    thing and would appreciate any suggestions.
    I just got back from Kodiak and will post everything I saw and heard in a different thread:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=41230

PM me if you have any questions.

Paul

Smile Zacher bay, successful hunt

Zacher bay was an awesome place to spend a week. The lodge was great, and everyone had a good time. We did have a couple days of bad weather, but for the middle of Nov. what would you expect. I was able to shoot an 8" sow that the fish and game estimated her age at 16 years old.
    The skull size was 24 3/8". I left the skull and hide in Anchorage to have made into a rug. (a very large rug). It took 4 of us 2 hours to skin it out.(rookies) The knife I purchased from Havelon worked wonders getting the head and face skinned out. I've some pictures to share but that will have to be at another time. All of the studying and purchasing of books and dvd's helped me out alot, but I really had an education by being there. I learned alot, wow, what an experience. We had seen bear thru the week, but had not been able to get close enough in the ruuuuuuged terrain untill thursday when we shot her 300 yards from our boat pick up point. I'd sure like to do it again in 4 years when I can apply for another draw permit. But,chances for a non-resident like myself drawing out again are slim to none, and slim has left the building... jz.

who was your guide down there? you've got alot better chance of getting a bear tag that us residents do!! i've never drawn one, with a 3 percent chance it ain't lookin' good either!
    can't wait for some pics!!
    congrats
    Master guide 212

I have 3 resident brothers. They acted as guide. The regulations state that the resident must accompany you at all times while hunting. I am very fortunate to have drawn. I dont understand why I have a better chance of drawing than you though. Don't we have the same chances?jz

ya your right, didn't relize you were with relatives..non res who hire a guide have alot better chance at the draw. but non res who hunt with relatives have to apply in the resident draw hence the stinky success rate on the draw. congrats on the bear how long till we see some pics?????
    Master guide 212

Default Zachar

I was in the other group of hunters at the log when that bear was taken. Man, talk about a happy camp that night. That was a good bear; congratulations again.

Oh, and thanks again for the pork tenderloin you shared with us that night. Awesome.

Default Camp meat

Quote Originally Posted by Boater View Post
    Oh, and thanks again for the pork tenderloin you shared with us that night. Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZJ View Post
    I was able to shoot an 8" sow.... jz.
    Tastes like pork...
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default more stories later

here is a picture of the possie! 4 of us went in on this bear, and "BOATER'S" group really made it possible. Thanks for the insight. Ill share more of this story after I contact the bow hunter that was run into the water on the shore by this bear 3 weeks prior to us taking it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You sure you had enough firepower there to back you up?? Congrats on the bear and thanks for sharing the pics and story.

Default firepower

She took 3 rounds from my .300 wby. 200gr.barnes and 2 rounds from my guide/ back up shooter .338 win mag. 220 barnes ballistic tip... it was done in about 10 seconds.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice bear! Congrats on a trophy.