Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blacktail ... POW vs Kodiak

Default Blacktail ... POW vs Kodiak

OK since Jake called me out ... I have a few thoughts.

POW and Kodiak are just about tied when it comes to top end B&C book entries. One of the differences is that hunters take about 10,000 deer a year on Kodiak and POW hunters take about 2,500 deer a year for those entries. Some bucks have actually been weighed on POW that exceed 200 lbs, gutted.

This one is still hagging on the porch aging.

We green scored it just over 116" B&C net.

Jason took it on Monday. It is his 3rd hunt with us. He has also hunted Kodiak and in his opinion Kodiak don't compare ..... LOL

That's definately a hog.

My son's kodiak blacktail had 70# of meat boned out. The F&G guy I talked to said he probably went 160 to 170# on the hoof. I know I wouldn't have wanted to drag the thing.

I much prefer the open country above the brush on Kodiak vs. the woods hunting in most areas for blacktail. Our August Kodiak hunt was one of my most enjoyable yet.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    That's definately a hog.
    Thats an understatement...........whoa! thats what I call a B.A.D. Deer (Bigg Azz Deer)

I just love the deep *cedar* red the antlers get from rubbing the trees on POW. Nothing like it!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Default What a trophy

I wondered why the antlers were such a red color. How do you hunt the deer on POW? Do you do much still hunting? (Creep and Peek). My Grandfather built a lot of miles of logging roads on POW and I would like to go there some day. I have an Aunt that lives in Port Protection

Default POW

My vote would be for POW......

Better weather
    Less access restrictions
    more access options
    quality genetics mixed with great! feed

There is open country......you just gotta get through the first 2,000 ft. of salad to get to it.

Oh and you can hunt with Jonnie and Muskeg excursions......only on POW!

Default Photos, please.

C'mon folks, post up some photos of Kodiak and POW deer, big or small. I could use a "fix".

I'll start by posting my monster from Kodiak, haha:

And my buddy's:

Those are some awesome deer. I hope to be sporting some respectable animals in the next few days. Thanks for the pics.

Not the best pic showing size..but a happy kid..

Default Alpine buck 08

Fat boy.....from Baranof island. I'd like to see some monsters from around the Sitka area too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

There is definitely no comparison in my opinion. I've hunted both and the number of deer I saw on Kodiak outnumbered POW by probably 75:1. We saw herds on Kodiak that were over 100 deer. Maybe per capita POW has more pigs, but personally, I'd rather have many to look over. We saw herds at least this size just about daily on Kodiak.

Talking yeah

yep this is defiantly getting me ready for my hunt on Kodiak I leave in 8 days I can't wait I hope too arrow one of house monsters for myself keep the pictures coming there are some great deer guys.

Default I want one!

Anyone interested in putting together a trip in 2009?

I donít care - I'll go in either direction; they all look great to me........

I might be interested in going out next year.

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    I might be interested in going out next year.
    PM sent......

Default PWS has some nice deer too

You gotta work harder, but sure feels good. I've never seen more than 3 together in 20+ years hunting out there. It would be a bit creepy to come up on a herd of 100! Like the movie The Birds or something!

Quote Originally Posted by onthefrinj View Post
    You gotta work harder, but sure feels good. I've never seen more than 3 together in 20+ years hunting out there. It would be a bit creepy to come up on a herd of 100! Like the movie The Birds or something!
    I have to admit, I kind of feel like a liar when I tell a particular story about glassing a hillside and the whole side of the mountain appeared to be moving as this huge herd migrated across the mountain.

first of all this is not ment to be critical. I was wondering what kind of brush everyone complains about in Kodiak? I have hunted southeast for 22 years and have seen some pretty knarly stuff, but every picture I see from Kodiak looks real open. Is it develsclub, blueberry, alders? I have never been there so humer me.

Quote Originally Posted by mallardman View Post
    first of all this is not ment to be critical. I was wondering what kind of brush everyone complains about in Kodiak? I have hunted southeast for 22 years and have seen some pretty knarly stuff, but every picture I see from Kodiak looks real open. Is it develsclub, blueberry, alders? I have never been there so humer me.
    I think it greatly depends on where your at on the Island. Conditions/terrain vary, the south having less vegetation/more open land than the north.

Default Genetic source

So just a little history for all of us Alaskan Blacktail affectionados.....

Those Kodiak deer were transplanted from deer collected from small islands around Sitka. They actually sent dogs onto the islands and caught em swimming.

The gene pool is relativly small from what I understand. I guess I thought I would share that while we debate the merits of POW vs. Kodiak.

Hence......odd horn growth.

Does anyone know the year of that transplant? More history?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast