Thread: Barney's Pack modifications

Question Barney's Pack modifications

Have any of you modified your Barney's packs or frames? I bought mine this summer and have used it on two hunts so far. I have the kevlar pinnacle.

So far I have added two granite gear pack pockets. One goes on the shoulder strap and the other goes on the waist belt. Now I can store my gps and camera within easy reach.

I have started thinking about bigger modifications though.

One thing I would like to do is change the way my rifle carrier works. Right now it is on the side of the pack and straped in pretty tight. I'd like to find a way to get that in and out quickly while still keeping is secure.

My pack has a small pocket between the back of the pack and the frame. I have been thinking about squeezing a hydration bag in there (probably from MSR) and stretch a drinking tube up to the shoulder strap so I wouldn't have to carry a water bottle.

Another thought I have had is to stitch the pass through area on the back of the pack shut. This is probably where a bow was meant to sit. If I stitch it shut, then I can have a pocket with no top to store things like contractor bags, my hunting regs, etc. It could probably have a velcro closure at the top to help keep things in there.

I don't know how to do it, but I would also like to find a way to latch my trekking poles on the side when they aren't needed.

Any other ideas out there????

Default Water

I put a water bladder in the pocket on the top flap, and have a clip on the right shoulder strap that holds the tube. I don't think the little pocket is big enough. I use that pocket to put my TAG bags in. If you do any winter hunting don't sew the pass through shut. It works percect to put snow shoes in. I too would like to find a better way to carry a rifle. I don't know about the rifle carrier they sell, looks too bulky to me.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Default good thread Oakman!

The only thing I've done to date is to add some pull cords to the zipper pulls. I find that it reduces the jingle noise and makes them much easier to find under the zipper flap.

While I like the way the Barney rifle carrier sleave works in keeping the gun protected and secure, it is not very accessible if you need the rifle out in a hurry. I'm looking for other options that still permit me to use two trekking poles at the same time. I may give the Kifaru gunbearer a try but I'm not sure if I'll like the barrel near my face? Some folks remove the extendable crossbar and hang their rifle sling from the frame stub or a short dowel inside the frame.

When storing my trekking poles, I slip them into either one of the gun sleaves and the clip-on pocket that was meant for your gun stock. It's worked out great for me, just remember to tighten the strap of the clip-on pocket around the pole handles.

One modification I would really like would be to incorporate a compound leverage loop on the waistbelt to help get the belt tighter. Several pack manufacturers use this on their belts and it works very well. Not sure how I would go about sewing one in place but I may suggest to Bob that he build that into his belts in the future.

Default Rifle Carrier

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=40544

This is the rifle carrier we made so we could access the gun while still wearing the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    The only thing I've done to date is to add some pull cords to the zipper pulls. I find that it reduces the jingle noise and makes them much easier to find under the zipper flap.
    Good idea! I think I'll do that to mine as well.

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    One thing I would like to do is change the way my rifle carrier works. Right now it is on the side of the pack and straped in pretty tight. I'd like to find a way to get that in and out quickly while still keeping is secure.
    This is what I added to my pack: Kifaru Universal GunBearer

It keeps the rifle up front, easy to get to, and out of the way, for the most part. It's pretty handy.

Default Kevlar Hunter is what I have

I put my rifle in the holder barrel first. Easy to get in and out. Pulling it out I just reach behing and flick the strap buckle loose. Then pull it up and out like a machette. The flap on the top of the pack covers the scope too. There are some other modifications I want to do, just can't remember them right now.